Trouble Staying Logged In

Horizons

Playlist Author
Is anyone else having to log in each time you visit the site? I have the "remember me" box checked, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I have the "remember me" box checked, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.
Hmmm. It works for me with both Firefox and Safari. What browser are you using? Unrelated to your problem, but the Rich Text Editor does not work with Safari. You'll see BB codes instead of actual bold, italic, colors, etc.

Jay

Horizons

Playlist Author
Hmmm. It works for me with both Firefox and Safari. What browser are you using? Unrelated to your problem, but the Rich Text Editor does not work with Safari. You'll see BB codes instead of actual bold, italic, colors, etc.

Jay

It seems to have remembered me from yesterday, so I don't know what the issue was. I am using Safari.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I'm glad you asked that.
Yes, I'm having the same problem.
If I switch off the PC, it forgets me the next time I visit - sometimes :eek:
Occasionally, it remembers (and yes, I have the box ticked and cookies allowed also).
I'm using Firefox.
As long as I leave the PC on, it remembers me each time without any problem.
Possibly the cookie expires after a day?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Occasionally, it remembers (and yes, I have the box ticked and cookies allowed also).
I wonder if there is a conflict with the old SMF cookie(s). Try deleting any 'magicmusic.net' cookies that show up in Firefox's list and then revisit the site to grab a new one. Another possibility is that MagicMusic.net now creates a stronghold cookie at log on. If your IP address changes between visits, you will be forced to log back on. If enough people are getting logged out, I can try disabling the stronghold cookie, but it is better for security if I leave it the way it is.

Jay

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Deleted all the cookies I could find pertaining to magicmusic (one) but still had to log in again today.
I suspect that my ISP must allocate a different IP address each time I switch on.
As Firefox remembers my stuff, I only have to start typing the username (just the "e" actually), click on it and it fills in the rest.
I can live with that for the sake of security, it's no big deal :eek:

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Yes, I think that must be it.
I checked my IP address this morning and left everything switched on (including broadband) but shut down Firefox.
This afternoon, I came back here and had to log in again - checked my IP address and it had changed!
I think (in the UK, at least) most people are with an ISP that using a dynamic ISP address system.

Oh, as a PS, is there a way to edit the posts rather than to have to add a new reply?
I can't find one.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Sorry for all the posts but the "edit" option has disappeared for me :eek:
It was there a few days ago.
Could this be linked to the "remember me" bits not working (for some of us)?
I'm sure I edited a post on the new style forum. has the option been disabled for any reason?

Again, as a PS, I notr that my connection must have dropped sometime today and (yes, you have guessed it) when I refreshed the page to see if I had got a reply, I needed to log in again :lol: My IP address had changed yet again.
I'll get used to it, I suppose.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I still find myself having to log in, not each morning, but every so often. Not sure why.

Accessing from an iPhone requires me to log in each time.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Accessing from an iPhone requires me to log in each time.
As mentioned above, the stronghold cookie requires you to log back in when your IP address changes. Assuming that you're going through AT&T, and not your home network, your iPhone would have a different IP address.

Jay

Horizons

Playlist Author
As mentioned above, the stronghold cookie requires you to log back in when your IP address changes. Assuming that you're going through AT&T, and not your home network, your iPhone would have a different IP address.

Jay
I figured that was the case for the iPhone, but I have no idea what's going on with my home network. I already logged in a few times today.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I already logged in a few times today.
Hmmm. And your IP address appears to be the same for all of your recent posts.

I am going to shut off the stronghold and wait for you and eyore to let me know if that fixes the problem.

You would think we'd be hearing from more than just the two of you, though. :rolleyes:

Jay

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I'm getting logged off quite frequently BUT it seems my broadband connection is a little bad and keeps dropping for a few seconds - each time it reconnects, I get a new IP address and have to log in again (even if I'm still on the site - when I go to the next post it says "welcome guest" again).
I'm learning to live with it - it only takes a couple of clicks and a few seconds.
I checked the IP address by going to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ but I'm not sure if that's worldwide or just the UK (I'm also shown at least 20 miles from where I am).
It seems you have to pay extra for a static IP address rather than a dynamic one (at least over here).
At least I know the reason it's happening now.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Stronghold off. Delete any existing MagicMusic.net cookie(s) to be on the safe side.

Let me know if you notice a change for the better.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Stronghold off. Delete any existing MagicMusic.net cookie(s) to be on the safe side.

Let me know if you notice a change for the better.
No problems since. Logs in automatically now. :rolleyes: