Tracking Changes to the Official Albums

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Tried burning to CD and playing on my Hi-Fi, headphones and PC and I honestly can't hear a difference.
While the ears are a marvelous thing, as a scientist, I would suggest that something a bit more objective rather than subjective would be needed. There is such a wide range of hearing that five people in a room won't hear exactly the same thing. So I would rather see a comparison done using software that can capture waveforms, and time points. That would give a better and more reliable result than ears. I would also 'argue' that you would need to have more of a difference than the first few bars sounding slightly different to call it a different version.

So, one may ask, would a track issued on vinyl (with all the limitations) be regarded as a new track if released on CD with all the improved quality that brings.
I would support the position that it would not be a new track based solely on recording format. The original was the same.

Supporting the idea that it would be a new recording would be a bit like saying that even the parks are not using the same recordings any longer. look at Pirates of the Caribbean, the original recordings were not made directly to a digital recorder. Yet each sound effect, each song, is now stored on chips on the Disney computer system. So we would be calling that a separate recording too, when obviously they are not. Or even saying that once I have ripped as song to my computer it is now different, and when it goes onto my i Pod, it is different again.

I believe that changes would need to be intentional, something that a sound engineer would need to make a conscious effort to change. Something that changes the song itself.

Tannerman

So, one may ask, would a track issued on vinyl (with all the limitations) be regarded as a "new" track if released on CD with all the improved quality that brings.

I noted the debut of a track on LP in one color (green), with the debut of the same track on CD in a different color (red). It's considered the same track, but with the drastic improvement in quality, felt that it was important to note when a track went digital. After a track goes "red", any continued use of that track is denoted in "black".

For example...

image_lptocdcolors1.png

There's also a "Color Key" tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet to explain the use of colors.

Initially, I'm using Google Docs to build out this guide, as it's easy to update and share online as a "work in progress". However, once we have the details locked down and confirmed, I'm not opposed to converting it to a different format/layout that may be more user intuitive for however it might be referenced.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Each to their own, I suppose.
For me, I wouldn't really have an interest if the harmonics had been tweaked etc but, in the same vein, I would be concerned if a track in a BGM had been altered in timing by a few seconds so I suppose it's how detailed you feel you need to be.
As far as this topic is concerned, all I would want to see is a basic list of albums along with the same details that they show on and inside the booklet (ie name, track length etc).
Whether or not the tracks were the same or different wouldn't come in to that, would it?
I suppose I'm seeking names and listings so I can say "got that one" "missed that one, must find it" etc.
I'm not that concerned with the minutia of the albums although I fully understand and respect the right for others to be :p
I had only really though of having a full list of all the albums (from the parks really)as a "master" source.
It's grown a little since then so I doubt I'll add anything else to the discussion as it's way beyond me now ;)

Correct me if I am wrong here, please! I think the point was to track the changes in the OA's to see if you really wanted to buy every version of the OA or not. I know I tried to get every one of them. However, everyone is not as crazy as I am. I too would just like the list so that I know I have every CD or LP, but some people don't want to buy every one of them.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Correct me if I am wrong here, please! I think the point was to track the changes in the OA's to see if you really wanted to buy every version of the OA or not. I know I tried to get every one of them. However, everyone is not as crazy as I am. I too would just like the list so that I know I have every CD or LP, but some people don't want to buy every one of them.

Very true but, to do that, you need a full album list first :p
The changes would have to come after and could possibly be added as even a footnote (eg track 12: as WDW CD #1 track 08)
That's about as much info as I would need.
I am only giving my opinions from my own point of view regarding what information I would like to be able to access easily (and in one place).
Nothing wrong in making it more complex to suit those needing more.
These things have a habit of growing in complexity which, I think, results in a good final draft.
Please don't think I'm trying to put anyone off, I'm not.

I would like as much info. as people are willing to give. I just thought that was the original idea that got all this started. I could be wrong though. The people who tend to do this stuff are very detailed and I never complain that there is too much information. I don't think there are too many people who would do that around here anyway. It is usually the other way around, not enough information. I'm with you, eyore. I would love a concise list in one place. If someone wants to add tons of detail to it, bring it on!!! :D

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Exploring the upper and lower limits are defintinely a must because that way you can see what the minimum amount of information is that would be useful, as well as just how detailed you would need to go (without going over into madness).

Another bit of info that I feel would be really useful in a list of Official album is where exactly could you find that track playing on property. Certain tracks could be a bit more specific, such as which part of a ride you would hear the included track. (Sure, Yo Ho is in Pirates of the Caribbean, but from where to where?

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Exploring the upper and lower limits are defintinely a must because that way you can see what the minimum amount of information is that would be useful, as well as just how detailed you would need to go (without going over into madness).

Another bit of info that I feel would be really useful in a list of Official album is where exactly could you find that track playing on property. Certain tracks could be a bit more specific, such as which part of a ride you would hear the included track. (Sure, Yo Ho is in Pirates of the Caribbean, but from where to where?

That's another good point. We make the presumption that when people see "Yo-Ho - Pirates of the Caribbean" they are familiar with the ride. Those (like myself) who haven't been to all the parks can be quite mystified as to where a track actually fits in to an unknown (to them) ride. Not everyone has ride videos (nor are videos - released or home movies - available of everything).
It may sound like overkill but maybe the location of the park music should be included as suggested (or that it's an adaption of a park tune etc).
It is always difficult to know where to stop but (as I have found out) there are many who wish to know the exact section of a track for BGMs so why should it be any different for CD tracks?
I started my playlists as just that - a list of titles for a BGM - a sort of "name that tune". That increased to "who by" and then "what source" followed quickly by "what part of the track from that CD", "where can I buy it" and so on.
I may be coming around to the "full details" option after all. :eek:

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Doing some real listening over the last few days. And to be honest there are a few more details that probably need to be considered.

I looked at the CD verrsion of albums from
the 1998, 2000, 2006 and 2007 versions of the Official album, without even considering the other similar releases.

"One Little Spark"
1998 (3:39) We have the Dreamfinder with figment.
2000 Not included on disk
2006 (2:10) we have In addition to Figment we have Dr. Nigel Channing
2008 (2:10) same as 2006

Sure you say, That one is kind of obvious to a a real WDW fan because we are all aware of the refurb where Dreamfinder was removed. (Dreamfinder we hardly knew ye)

But what about "its a small world?"
1998 (2:41) Chorus version, sung by adults
2000 (3:58) Children
2006 (5:03) Music begins as in 1998 version, yet this is sung by children
2008 (5:03) Same as used in 2006

And this carries over between other seemingly "stable" offerings on the albums. Sure they share the same title, however the version of the song changes, and sometimes without much change in track length. So the track itself is going to have to be checked to similarity/difference..

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
But what about "its a small world?"
1998 (2:41) Chorus version, sung by adults
2000 (3:58) Children
2006 (5:03) Music begins as in 1998 version, yet this is sung by children
2008 (5:03) Same as used in 2006
Excellent example with "Small World" there.
Many people looking at the albums would presume (wrongly as I did) that it was "Oh, small World is on this one as well - already got that". Unless on sale on Amazon (sound clips) how would one know what the latest one was? (DLRP do, at least, have headphones so you can sample each track before you buy (only in the one main store though). I don't know if other parks offer the same).
I think it good that this thread is here because it's showing how needed something like this is and how the details DO make a difference.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Sure they share the same title, however the version of the song changes, and sometimes without much change in track length.
This is a major (MAJOR!) pet peeve of mine! Now that most of us have gone digital, it's time for Disney and other labels to stop using the same name for tracks that are not actually the same.

Call it It's a Small World, because it is, but you need to add something in brackets after that:

It's a Small World [Kids on Acid Remix]

Tannerman

Sure they share the same title, however the version of the song changes, and sometimes without much change in track length. So the track itself is going to have to be checked to similarity/difference..

Which is why I've brought this project up to you guys, the experts... because it's a lot of work to do on my own :)