Tokyo Disney CDs

kustomboy

Hello,

My wife and I are heading to Tokyo next week and are planning on spending 3-4 days at the Tokyo Disney Resort. My big question is what cds should be on the top of my must buy list or which ones should I spend the time tracking down in the parks?

Dirk

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

while I would recommend three or four days in the Tokyo Disney Resort I second the post above: try to explore a bit of the "real" Japan ... there is so much you could do.

If you are more or less restricted or have yourself restricted to Tokyo and the surrounding area there is still plenty to see and do. I would recommend the Lonely Planet (or Time Out) guidebooks for Tokyo. There were a great help during my visit a year ago. I loved wandering around Tokyo - so much to see.

Regarding Hakone: even if you don't want to spend two days for Hakone, I would recommend doing it as the "one day" Hakone Circuit. You get your ticket in Tokyo in the major train stations and then it is a one day roundtrip which takes you to the country side on train, cable car, boat, but and then back to Tokyo on the train. In between you get to see some breathtaking nature including a volcano and (if you are lucky) a postcard perfect view of Mount Fuji. The one day tour was one of my trip highlights. Depending on your interests you can emphasize different stops along the route, e.g. for an art museum or a walk around the volcano (recommended!). As I spend the rest of my time to explore Tokyo this was a really great change.

Oh and before I forget it: about those CDs ... Tokyo Disney has numerous releases so the problem might be choosing the best among the great, since nearly all of them are of interest. If you want to limit yourself, I would buy those CDs including material of shows / parades / events / attractions that appeal especially to you during the visits. Since the tracklistings on the back of the CDs are usually in English finding the right CDs is usually no problem.

If you want to splurge and want a great collection of past (not the current) music from Tokyo Disney go for the "Treasures of Fantasy" Disc set available in the music shop on Main Street of Tokyo Disneyland and at some other shops.

Otherwise you might be happy with the official album of both parks and selected show / parade / season CDs. Personally I would definitely recommend the soundtrack to BraviSEAmo! as a must get. Also take some time to browse through the "non-theme park" Disney CD release on sale in the music shop on Main Street, I found some great stuff there like "Disney on Classic" 2004 and 2005 with great symphonic recordings of the Disney material.

Yours

Dirk

kustomboy

Thanks for the replys! We are sticking fairly close to Tokyo during our trip but we do have 4-5 days on non-disney time scheduled which are fairly open. I will look into both of your suggestions! Walking around a volcano sounds very exciting.

My wife has previously been to Japan and spent her whole trip outside of Tokyo and on this trip she wants to focus on seeing some of the sites in and around Tokyo but I'm always up for a day trip anywhere!

I'd also like to see a baseball game, but after watching almost every Twins game this summer I think she'd kill me if I dragged her to a baseball game on vacation...

GO TWINS!

tcsnwhite

If you want to splurge and want a great collection of past (not the current) music from Tokyo Disney go for the "Treasures of Fantasy" Disc set available in the music shop on Main Street of Tokyo Disneyland and at some other shops.

Is "Treasures of Fantasy" still available? I wasn't sure about that.
Also, can you only get it at the park?

Dirk

"Treasures of Fantasy" was still available in the resort's shops in the summer of 2005. I didn't see it in any of the regular CD shops in Tokyo but I might have looked in the wrong CD shops there.

Hope this helps.

Yours

Dirk

Joe, what is Treasures Of Fantasy II? Is it another large boxset like Treasures of Fantasy or is it a smaller set? Can you provide some more details, possibly a track listing?

tcsnwhite

"Treasures of Fantasy II" is still available at "The Storybook Store" inside Tokyo Disneyland.

It is also available via mail order.

JoeInJpn
http://www.jtcent.com

thanks Joe.
do you have the info for the mail order? is that a Tokyo Disney Resort official mail order? and do they ship outside of japan?
also, is this the same treasures as before, or less?

JoeInJpn

Sorry for the confusion. There was an original set released in 1996 with a similar title. The 2003 set contains many of the tracks released in the 1996 version, which is no longer available.

I think the previous posts are referring to the 2003 release, which is still available. I'll get mail order information soon. Not sure if they deliver overseas though.

Treasures of Fantasy (1996)
(Pony Canyon DMW934)
10-CD set

Treasures of Fantasy Dreams & Adventures (2003)
(Pony Canyon OCD-83001~11)
10-CD + bonus CD set

JoeInJpn
http://www.jtcent.com

Mansionologist

I've managed to piece together Volume 1 from other sources but I'm having a difficult time tracking down the other tracks without having to suck it up and purchase the other CDs. Usually I look to Discogs to find info but these are not listed.

m37236105595_1.jpg