To Randy- Could you please shed some light on the ?Parade of Dreams?

WishesFan

Dear Randy,

I was hoping you could give us some (any) information on the release of the ?Parade of Dreams? soundtrack. Even if your response is ? late 2010,? at least we could see SOME light at the end of the tunnel. On behalf of all your fans, thanks so much!

Have a great day,
-Rick

Hey wishesfan!

We?re still looking at it. Sometimes these things get complicated ? how much will the artist and orchestra re-payment , production and mastering cost vs how many units does the retailer think they can sell (whether the retailer is realistic in their estimations or not) ? making sure that with all these re-payments and new costs can we keep the CD at a reasonable price with such limited outlet (in this case Disneyland only) ? yadda, yadda, yadda. Wish I could tell you more than ?We?re still looking at it.? But that?s all there is to say at the moment. I?ll keep ya posted good news or bad.

Randy Thornton

tcsnwhite

Hey Randy,

I would love to see Parade of Dreams released on a cd, in full!!!!!!!

Keep fighting the good fight, and make them release this great music!
at least the show stop Welcome.
There are definitly people out there who want this music.
Quite a number of people asked in the 20th Century Music shop if it was on a cd.

tcsnwhite

Dirk

Hi Randy,

hopefully the calculations will lead to a result that let's us all hold a CD with the soundtrack of both parades in our greedy little hands soon.

I have to point out though, that I am ABSOLUTELY annoyed by the short-sightedness that still seems to pravail in certain management circles of parades & shows.

When we are talking about historic material I do understand that back then noone ever thought about the rights for a LP/MC/CD-release so renegotiations obviously would be necessary. But how can the responsible management create an all new major parade for the Disneyland Park TODAY and still use outdated contracts excluding the music release rights?? It is not as if it would be a surprise that there is demand after all they are releasing this material for quite a while.

I think this kind of problem is symtomatic for the overall problem of TWDC nowadays. In the past Disney was that perfect synergy machine. A movie was released, so Disneyland supported it with a new parade, which in turn also meant that the movie supported the park. But then at some point the profit center concept got so hammered in the heads of each department / sector manager that he threw the old synergy concept over board. Synergy today only takes place if another department (in above example the studio marketing department) pays for it, or Mr. Eisner / Iger demand it.

Luckily it seems the further a resort is away from the company heads in Burbank the better synergy still works. WDW, DLRP and TDR all three frequently release music from parades and shows - so it seems their management thinks about the release clauses before.

Sorry for the rant.

Yours
Dirk

The Genii

Why do all of the parades at Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris get CD releases and not those in Disneyland and Walt Disney World?

Why do all of the parades at Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris get CD releases and not those in Disneyland and Walt Disney World?
Clearance/licensing issues...

Let me ask you a different question. How many units of parade material do you think the company could move?

I'd imagine the answer is: very, very few. Probably not enough to cover licensing, marketing, manufacturing and distribution expenses.

Is the general public interested in such material? Probably not.

Is the "average" Disney-related audio collector interested in such material? Maybe.

I'm not. However, I realize that many people who frequent this forum would jump at the chance to purchase audio from parades and shows.

Personally, I think the best solution for getting such music into the hands of interested parties is something along the lines of the iTunes Music Store or similar online music services.

I know the company was looking into the possibility of creating their own service, but that concept seems to have abandoned as of late.

The bottom line is, well, the bottom line. I don't think Disney could ever cover their costs when it comes to releasing parade and show music from the parks on compact disc.

What do you think?

HWH

The Genii

Well, then, why are the visitors to Disney parks in Tokyo and Paris more interested in purchasing Parade and Show music than we are?

WishesFan

That would really be too bad. The ONLY disney music I TRULY love is the parade and show music. It just tears me up inside that it is so hard to get hold of such GREAT music!
-Rick

schnebs

I dunno, HWH... I realize it costs quite a bit of money to put together an album, but we're not talking about a national release here, so I'd assume the costs would be less. Besides, with parades at Disney parks tending to hang around for several years before they're replaced, I'd think that they'd be able to sell more units than if the parade ran a year and got pulled.

In short, I'd think they could more than justify the costs of putting together albums for a parade or official albums for each individual park. Granted, the albums are never going to go multi-platinum, but they'd more than make their money back.

I like the iTunes idea, and I think they should use the Wonderland Music kiosks to release more albums with niche appeal. The costs of selling albums this way have to be substantially reduced compared to pressing CDs for a regular release, and again it satisfies the fans.

Why is Disney so averse to hitting a lot singles and doubles merchandise-wise instead of always trying for a home run? Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now...

The Genii

schnebs, it is common corporate thinking that it is pointless to do things unless they make A LOT of money. Things that will only turn a modest profit are frowned upon as a waste of time and resourses when they could be working on something that will make a lot of money.

tcsnwhite

Well, no matter what, I hope somebody at WDRecords sees this thread and realises that people really want the Parade of Dreams and Block Party music. There are plenty of others out there too that would quickly buy this music.

Wonderland music seems like a great way to release it if they want.

trust me, there are others out there besides Disney fans that want this music. several were asking in the music shop when I was there on main street.

and releasing this music does have a market. Paris and Tokyo do. and even WDW, an american park- hello!!!- releases their parade music on its own cd!!!!

The Genii

I would say that Disney ALREADY had the perfect system in place to sell this music with their Disneyland and Walt Disney World Forever kiosks, which gave you a way to burn music onto CDs on demand.
I can't tell you how many of those I bought.
While I've heard various reasons for the demise of this system (among them being the realization by Disney that they simply didn't own the rights to sell a lot of this material on CDs), there was also a statement by Randy Thornton that he didn't care for the way the music and narration was being released and it seems implicit that he was also responsible in some way for ending their existance.
Whatever the reason, the removal of the mix-and-match tracks from the system was a terrible blow to those of us who collect and enjoy Disney theme park music and ride narration. And, it would have been the perfect system to allow us to purchase parade and show music with less cost to The Disney Company.

schnebs

IIRC, DLF/WDWF was pulled because of lack of sales (there was an inital rush by Disney fans like us to buy the DLF CDs, and then a dop because they never added any more tracks to the system) and because they had a falling out with RedDotNet over the system and the cost of maintaining it. WDR decided to revive the idea, but didn't see as much potential in continuing to provide individual tracks as there was in re-releasing out-of-print WDR titles. (Somebody please correct me if I've got the story wrong...)

Personally, I wish WDR would at least offer an option to create a CD out of individual tracks in addition to being able to burn whole albums (there's no reason they couldn't offer WDR releases as well as background audio tracks), or at least offer albums containing lots of the material. Could you imagine, for example, if the Main Street music loop or the Sunshine Plaza music loop were available from the Wonderland kiosks on a CD? I know I'd buy them, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one!

SharonKurland

> Well, then, why are the visitors to Disney parks in Tokyo
> and Paris more interested in purchasing Parade and Show
> music than we are?

Different culture. I can't speak for DLP, but the people in Japan are MUCH more "into" their parade than people in the US are. I'm not saying that we dislike "Name Your Favorite Disney Parade or Show In The U.S." but in TDL, when Cinderellabration was running there, they had to have a lottery system for seating. Lineups for new parades and shows are HOURS long. BUT...that's the whole Japanese culture, where people will willingly stand in line for just about anything, if they think it's extremely high quality (EVERYTHING in Japan is already plain 'ol "high quality") and/or "the thing to do."

-Sharon-
Orlando FL

tcsnwhite

why is it that compared to all the other resorts around the world, Disneyland resort is always lacking in releasing their parade and show music?
I mean, c'mon, especially recently with the parade of dreams and block party, and Snow White...An Enchanting New Musical?

I really pray Randy and those executives figure the stuff out for parade of dreams and block party. at least parade of dreams. ???

The Genii

We don't have those CDs in the United States because the people in charge believe that they won't sell enough to justify the cost. That's why putting them in the CD on Demand system would be a possible alternative, because you don't have to have thousands of copies sitting in a warehouse if they don't sell.

1FoolishMortal

I definitely think there's a demand for the PoD music at Disneyland! All three times I was in the Music Shop on my last trip, I heard numerous people ask about the PoD music. I wasn't the only one!! ;D

- Eric

tcsnwhite

I know what you're talking about, when I was there, several times people asked about the parade music, and were pretty disappointed it was not on a cd.