Thurl Ravenscroft, Dead at 91

Sad news, folks.

Thurl Ravenscroft just recently passed away.

Thurl was one of my favorite voice actors.

Rest in peace, Thurl. We will miss you.:(

Oddly enough I was working on restoring one of my tracks last week with Thurl's recording on the Disneyland Railroad. I'll try to get it posted on Visionsfantastic.com tomorrow. (It's 1:00am, so it'll have to wait until morning).

s8ntmark

:(

ArnyVee

He lived a long life! He was a great and talented individual!

Rest in peace Mr Ravenscroft.

Rich T

Mr. Ravenscroft gave the world many, many great performances, and his incredible singing voice will continue to earn fans across all generations. I wonder how many millions of people know most of the words to "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch." He added great moments of character work to many Disney films and tv shows (My favorite was the "nice" Knight in Sword in the Stone).

And at the parks...wow. Grim Grinning Ghosts, Buff the Buffalo, The DL Railroad, Fritz the parrot, The lead singing voice on Pirates... I never met the man, but he added a lot of magic to my childhood, and his work still makes me smile.

Thanks for everything, Mr. Ravenscroft.

And was there ever a cooler name?

I've posted my Disneyland Railroad clip to http://visionsfantastic.com/index2.html It's from a recording made in 1997 or so by Lawrence Dilley. There's been an MP3 floating around for awhile with it, but it was "ripped" from an old Realaudio clip, therefore not the best quality. This was re-recorded (from the original audio tape), cleaned up a bit and edited (to remove some of the more annoying CM announcements and background talking). Hope you enjoy it.

WDWHound

'(
What an amazing man he was. The world will be a poorer place without his magnificant bass voice resonating in it.

RIP Mr Ravenscroft, and thank you for all the wonderful music and characters you gave to us.

I've been expecting this news for some time now......

Sure, the CNN.com headline yesterday blared "Voice of Tony the Tiger dies," but I knew what was really gone--another piece of my childhood, and an integral part of what "Disney" means to me.

Thurl's was a voice I grew up with, as memorable as hearing Walt's Sunday evening sermons. I didn't know him by name at the time, but Thurl was there, with his fellow Mellomen singing "Davy, Davy Crockett" and "Zorro, Zorro, who makes the sign of the Z," or soloing on "Gold doubloons and pieces of eight, handed down to Applegate"(never did catch the Mickey Mouse Club episode that revealed what happened to that treasure.......).

Fortunately for us all, he'll still be there whenever he's needed, to tell the story of Paul Bunyan yet again(one of my favorite Disney records), to sing the praises of pirates, and to warn us of mischievous ghosts.

Mr. Ravenscroft, my sincerest thanks--hope to meet you up on Main Street one day......

Mike