This site: Over 6 years old - has it really been that long?

trentino

Somehow I suddenly realized today just how long this site has been around. At first I was thinking about five years -- and that I should have some sort of 5th anniversary celebration for it. But no... it's been over six years since this site debuted.

Originally titled "The Magical Music of Disney" when it first opened officially in February, 1997, the site featured this discussion forum and seperate Disney CD and Disney song indexes compiled in static HTML pages.

It wasn't until late 1998 that the site took on the new name, color scheme, and magicmusic.net URL.

In the summer of 1999 I began a database project that was never completely finished. The project resulted in database driven album pages and navigation although the search pages are still based on those old static versions since I never completed the database search integration. As a side note, although I never completed the database integration that I envisioned, the technical knowledge I gleaned from the project helped me to land a great job in the IT industry that I'm still at today.

In December 1999, as you all know, I sold my Disney CD collection and the passion for updating the album index of the site was lost.

Through it all, however, this discussion forum and the community that has built up around it has been there. Unfortunately, the earliest messages posted on the board have been lost but the ones after September 1997 remain in the archive.

Here's what I'm curious about. I'm looking for the person(s) that have been hanging around this site the longest! You can prove it by telling me what was the first (and only) contest this site held and what were the prizes? Unfortunately, the site has no pages in the waybackmachine.org so you can't go looking there!

Thanks to everyone that keeps this forum active and alive. Special thanks also goes to our friend Randy Thornton for the many contributions he's made in the past. Somehow I think he's still hanging about taking it all in even if he can no longer post.

Trent

I defer to Bean on this one.. I'm a newbie compared to some of the legends around here.
Thanks Trent for the great site and board!
Heres to a full dozen years !
Jeff in Orange County

PS Was the prize related to that Anne of Green Gables Cd I bouht from you on ebay back then? ;)

SharonKurland

Beats the hell outta me. I don't even remember when I WASN'T here, or how I found it or anything . I know I was already here by the time Trent sold his CD's and I think I had already been here for a while. So I'm going to GUESS somewhere around 1998 or so. But I'm honestly clueless.

-Sharon-

Zarpman

I don't seem to remember anything about a contest, but it was early 1999 before I started lurking around here. I remember my first post -- I wanted to know if I could download samples of the Walt Disney World Forever tracks so that I could plan what to put on my discs...

... ahh, the world of Disney music seemed slightly promising back in those days. :p

Tink

Wow. Six years. Even though I didn't make my first post until almost a year after I first came here (and I still post pretty infrequently) I'm pretty sure I remember being here at least four years ago, possibly five. I discovered the site when I still lived in California on a lonely night at work. In fact, it was the same night I discovered Al Lut'z "Disneyland Information Guide," Laughingplace.com and Michelle Smith aka FabDisBabe. But I don't remember the contest...

But since many of us have been lurking around since close to the begining, can we get an update in the trivia on the home page? I think I have had the answers memorized for years now. :)

Seriously though, Trent- you rock! Your willingness to keep the site open and provide a place for us to come a piss and moan and praise and laugh about Disney music and Disney in general is a wonderful thing. Thank you for all of your hard work. If I had any spare money, I'd certainly make a donation to the site and you... :)

Tink

Tink

Sorry to hog the board, but this topic got me curious and I just re-read some of my... finer moments from the past on this board. Boy, did I sound like a jerk over the "Haunted Mansion 30th Anniversary LE CD." I'm curious, does anyone else have posts from the past that they aren't to proud of? Or possibly topics that have brought out the more combative and unpleasant sides of people?

Tink

SharonKurland

Y'know Jeff, I've been here long enough to remember every one of those incidents. And yep, you should be ashamed of yourself .

-Sharon-

I can find a post of mine from May of 1999 but I do not know if I posted earlier then that. I will give this contest thing some though but right now I cant remember it. I do remember the guy in france buying Trents collection. I also remember a bunch of us pitching in some $$ to keep the site alive. It was scary when it looked like it might close down.

Good Question Tink:
Greg in France and Charge Cards, WalMart on Main Street and (Celtic Drumroll please) Light Magic. enough said.

;D ;D ;D Right on all three counts, Jeff!

For me, I think it was the firing of the WDW Main Street Marching Band. I still get angry just thinking about it! :mad:

Here's your chance to re-live a "golden oldie". A thread that includes posts from both Bean and Jeff, a thread that still ticks me off, and the thread that caused me to add my last name to my site ID -- to go from "Mike" to "Mike Frezon"! Enjoy! http://www.magicmusic.net/archive/index.cgi?read=7595

To Me this is a classic post. (since we are getting sentimental) And I belive this is the infamous "joke" that gives our buddy in Wisconsin his moniker ...
After a couple of "Hey Disney, are you listening?" posts this appeared on the board:

Posted By: Walt Disney Bean Counters
Date: Tuesday, 17 March 1998, at 9:10 a.m

Hello,
we are the Walt Disney bean counters. To answer your question- NO we are not listening. We never listen to you. Forget the old days when we gave the people what they wanted. As we are fond of saying in the finance division; Walt is dead. Current policy is to withhold any release unlease we can be assured that it will sell a million copies. Please refrain from providing a litany of your requests. We will not meet them. Just sit back, relax, and watch us discontinue the classic soundtrack and archives series. For you individuals who are continually requesting authentic theme park music, I would like to inform you that we are currently preparing MUSIC FROM THE PARKS II. This soulless compilation will feature Whitney Houston singing the theme to Mr. Toads Wild Ride, Garth Brooks performing the Fantasyland Medley, and the incomparable John Tesh singing the songs of Splash Mountain. Each copy of MUSIC FROM THE PARKS will come with a confetti covered Light Magic. Look for this new release at the shopping mall of your choice.

SharonKurland

Jeff-
Happy sigh...the good ol' WalMart scam you made up. I remember I sent that to a bunch of people, cuz it was done SO well . I read some of the replies to that...saw that I wrote something about being careful...the suits might read your post and decide to actually DO it. Hey, it might've been the catalyst for all those Disney Stores to close.

You DID write something on an April Fools Day too, though. I want to say in 2001 maybe?

-Sharon-

matt d.

Congratulations Trent and everyone here!

I've been sittting here trying to remember when I first visited this site and I can't remember when I first discovered this incredibly useful, informative group of people. It was definitely sometime during my graduate school years. This was one of my main driving forces for getting into the lab somedays. All those tips, even early on, from people finding new Disney releases helped feed my Disney audio addiction. :D

Thanks again everyone!

matt d.

Somehow I suddenly realized today just how long this site has been around. At first I was thinking about five years -- and that I should have some sort of 5th anniversary celebration for it. But no... it's been over six years since this site debuted.

Originally titled "The Magical Music of Disney" when it first opened officially in February, 1997, the site featured this discussion forum and seperate Disney CD and Disney song indexes compiled in static HTML pages.

It wasn't until late 1998 that the site took on the new name, color scheme, and magicmusic.net URL.

In the summer of 1999 I began a database project that was never completely finished. The project resulted in database driven album pages and navigation although the search pages are still based on those old static versions since I never completed the database search integration. As a side note, although I never completed the database integration that I envisioned, the technical knowledge I gleaned from the project helped me to land a great job in the IT industry that I'm still at today.

In December 1999, as you all know, I sold my Disney CD collection and the passion for updating the album index of the site was lost.

Through it all, however, this discussion forum and the community that has built up around it has been there. Unfortunately, the earliest messages posted on the board have been lost but the ones after September 1997 remain in the archive.

Here's what I'm curious about. I'm looking for the person(s) that have been hanging around this site the longest! You can prove it by telling me what was the first (and only) contest this site held and what were the prizes? Unfortunately, the site has no pages in the waybackmachine.org so you can't go looking there!

Thanks to everyone that keeps this forum active and alive. Special thanks also goes to our friend Randy Thornton for the many contributions he's made in the past. Somehow I think he's still hanging about taking it all in even if he can no longer post.

Trent

Did we ever get an answer on this one?

Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

DisneySpirit

Well, according to the MMM archives my first post was February 27, 1998 and I was still a TDS CM. I know I used to post to the older Forum too, but I can?t remember when I posted my first message there.
Trent, Was the contest regarding a new name for the Forum?
I remember this was before I created the first DLF track listing which I would post here and that Craig Wingerson also used by permission on his old "Disney Song Archive" site. Later, Keith Johnson used it to start his DLF & WDWF listing website and I contributed updates.
Tom Monson
Aka DisneySpirit

adimike

Hey there Hi there Ho there.

I was actually attracted to the site because of my passion for theme park music, though my first post, from 9/27/97 was to let someone know that NEWSIES soundtrack was available. I posted under my real name, Adrian Hickman, and my new nickname/alais unfortuately has no clever connotation like Bean Counter, but was simply what my mother called me as a child.

There is actually one drawback to the sight getting older: the fact that what was the best part of the early days, the great informative postings from Randy Thorton have, by necessity, become much fewer. There were very few sites for any type of music where someone who held the keys to the musical vault, also shared the same passion for the music that this site is made for.

So, to Trent, thanks for the chance to indulge our passions, and here's to many more.

Adrian