Theme Park Audio Pr0n (Warning: Graphic!)

almandot

The weird thing with those is I see them set up for something like an area loop and i'm like.. do you really need the whole rack? You could fit the loop on just one card and pop it into a player on loop but you have an entire freakin rack for it?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
The weird thing with those is I see them set up for something like an area loop and i'm like.. do you really need the whole rack? You could fit the loop on just one card and pop it into a player on loop but you have an entire freakin rack for it?
It depends on how many tracks you have and what level of control you need over those tracks (e.g., precise synchronization). The Digital Binloop was created to replace the equipment in DACS. For something like a couple/few audio loops at one of the resorts, an 8-TraXX would be much more suitable.

8traxx_front.jpg

8traxx_rear.jpg
More info: Alcorn McBride 8-TraXX

More to come... :p

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Slightly off topic, but some of the other tech geeks here may be interested in Steve Alcorn's (founder and CEO of Alcorn McBride) book:

41nCPQZ0KFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Building A Better Mouse: The Story of the Electronic Imagineers Who Designed Epcot

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author
Are you buying these for your backyard or something?
Why, you planning on inviting yourself over for a BBQ as an excuse for making a few induction recordings? :p

gmeader

But how about a Digicart? (little outdated, especially with the zip disk slot, but they still use them at DL)
Interestingly enough the 360 systems EPROM cards were the original choice when converting attraction audio from Cart tapes over to Digital back in the early 90's. Of course there was no way to sync the cards to each other, there was also no way to reference their speed either. You could only hope that one minute of audio on the card equaled one minute of time on the show control computer when it came time to loop the show. The longest loop at that time was the Splash Mountain (WDW/Tokyo) Finale scene at 2:17. Any longer than this and the audio would start drifting away from the animatronics. Add to this the fact that the EPROM cards were in mono and had a sampling rate of either 23.4k or 35.1k with an 8 bit resolution and there you have it. So even though DL may still have some old Digicarts laying around they are still a step above what came before them.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Can you imagine a 24 hour Pioneer Hall loop? :D
Well, we do already have a 10-hour loop at Pop Century. :confused:

The goofy thing about it is that the loop is turned on every morning at the same time, and the tracks all play sequentially, so the exact same songs play at the exact same times each and every day. The CMs don't need to wear a watch. "Ah, Night Fever, time to go home!" :rolleyes:

Since we've got DJ LMNOP installing tracks in alphabetical order all over property, we know Disney isn't going for anything resembling a proper balance and variety of tempos and styles, so the least they could do is to put this stuff on random play. The Sd-10/Sd-25, above, has a DIP switch setting for sequential/random. I'm sure most playback systems do. RTFM. :p

I'm still cracking up about Boma playing one song on endless repeat 24/7... :ROFL:

BLM07

They shouldn't even be allowed to play mp3s on devices like this. Force them to use wavs.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Disney has a lot of behind the scenes tours. I wish they would offer a tour around the music used at the parks (meeting LMNOP and showcasing how music is pumped out at various locations). I'd love to see how all of this works.

I've only been in DACS once, a very long time ago, and that's before I had a portable digital recorder. :)

gmeader

Disney has a lot of behind the scenes tours. I wish they would offer a tour around the music used at the parks (meeting LMNOP and showcasing how music is pumped out at various locations). I'd love to see how all of this works.

I've only been in DACS once, a very long time ago, and that's before I had a portable digital recorder. :)

It may have changed over the years but every bit of audio heard in Magic Kingdom used to be sourced out of DACS. The only exception was Splash Mountain. It was the first attraction to have it's own EER's with the sound sourced locally. DACS was quite impressive in it's early days with all the 1" 14 track machines, amp/patch bays and the NASA blue rack cabinets. Very retro, very cool. :cool: