The Wonderful World of David Oneal

FRAN?OIS

Re: Dave O'Neal's New Book

I believe the book comes with a cd using the ..... sensurround sound system too! ;)

A good friend of David, Carlene Thie, also has spelling problems in her own publications!

Oh well! Nobody's perfect! :D

The issue surrounding this charitable work is an area perhaps best served by visiting his website which, at least in the past, had an area devoted to his work for residents of the area surrounding Disneyland. He grew up in the area surrounding Disneyland and has a very soft area in his heart for those who live in the surrounding area. Hopefully that clears up the confusion surrounding the whole area of Dave's charitable work for the residents of the area surrounding Disneyland.

Did a quick google search and this post came up

http://www.familyfirst.com/extinct_attractions.html

"concern on May 24, 2007 08:45 AM Well, I can tell you is buyer beware. Dave is a dishonest as they come! He take money that doesn't belong to him;
Case in point!
At one time stated he received money to give to charities! (for over 3 years) Yet that money did not go to charities! Oh! No; he pocket the money and bought homes with it and a new car. If one gives to charities its a strict process to go through and its governed by the federal government. (plus it came from his own mouth what he did with it!) Dave O'Neal hasn't done that process; if you notice now its not mentioned on his site. He probably got someone to tell him what a bad boy he's being. For his whole site designed changed and the charity was off. Dave sucker so many into giving; and you did that! Dave's charity! Dave doesn't even file taxes! So how can Dave do charity! Wake up people!

He takes from everyone! He takes Disney's copyrighted stuff and anyone else who has something worth stealing and uses it on his DVDs without care and without permission.

You guys are paying a thief to benefit his own pockets out of the cost of others!"

Found this too. Hope its not true but makes you wonder

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd...-club-dvds.html

Re: Extinct Attractions Club DVDs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quality on these DVDs range from bootleg on the Disney specials to outstanding on the historical DVDs.

I've focused mostly on the Epcot historical DVDs, and they are superb. They include interviews with the Imagineers and fantastic video from Disney promo material lost long ago.

The biggests cons of this site is that you don't really know what you're geting until you get it. $14.99 a DVD can get you a two-disc wonderland, or a 20-minute Disney Channel special bootleg. They don't list running times for a reason.

And the customer service is a joke. The guy who runs it, David O'Neal, is good about replacing defective DVDs, but question the quality, and he ignores you, or brushes off your concerns with a "but it's for charity!" song and dance.

I could go on and on about this site, but the bottom line is this: ask lots of questions before you buy.

Oh, and stay away from the audio Epcot collection. It's TERRIBLE, and the site refused a refund request. That was my last order with them.

"Re: Extinct Attractions Club DVDs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David O'Neal is real good at avoidance. I dealt with him in the past. To make a long story short, I loaned him some of my backstage Disneyland footage and it took a legal threat to get them back from him. And that was AFTER having to track him down because he refused to answer phone calls & e-mails after he got the stuff.

Do a search for him online. He's crops up a lot in the worse possible light.

And the charity angle is a crock - but he plays it off well. Even Disney believes it."

I bought the book. I'll let you know how it is after I read it. I have no idea what his deal with charities is. I never buy anything from him because of the charity angle. I buy stuff that interests me when he offers a good deal. I've been happy with my purchases and any time I've had a problem he has fixed the problem and sent me bonus DVDs of my choice. I even wanted to return one I didn't like and he told me to keep it and sent me a new one I did want. So at this point I have to say he's been more than honest and fair with me. And I really do like the DVD's I've bought. And I've enjoyed the conversations I've had with him.

Bill said:
Honor among thieves is a great quality.
Hang on a minute, there.  I'm no thief. I actively discourage the trading or distribution of any file that can be bought. Or is that just a shot at Dave?

X-S Tech

I actively discourage the trading or distribution of any file that can be bought.
Ah I see. So if Disney releases it and you get it for free elsewhere, it's stealing, but if they don't release it and you get it, that's ok.

Got it.

Why am I being pounced upon? Because I have bought stuff from EA? Because my dealings with Dave have all been fine? There is a definite difference between enjoying something that Martin Smith puts together for free that includes music and occasional clips that are owned by Disney, and downloading bootlegs of something that is readily for sale. I buy EA's documentaries which have terrific interviews with great folks who worked at Disney. I don't buy any of his TV shows or recordings. I don't know how he gets away with selling much of the material he does. But Disney hired him to do some work for them. They know he's selling the material. And they don't seem to care. So I'm not going to jump on the "attack Dave" bandwagon.

Horizons

Playlist Author

How does Martin Smith fit into your argument?

How do you know Disney is ok with EA reselling available material?

I'm not trying to make an argument, I just don't like being called a thief. (If that's what Bill was even doing) I was merely defending myself. And maybe I'm just not doing a very good job. I suppose Martin isn't a great example as his stuff is almost one hundred percent shot by him, using audio he recorded himself. But he has put together audio that is owned by Disney that he recorded at Disney. I see no problem in downloading Martin's material, even though some of it is owned by Disney. Which he clearly states. And he's making no money off it. I see no STEALING. And there are many folks who trade files that have been recorded at Disney. Again, since Disney allows the stuff to be recorded, I see no stealing. But downloading material that Disney IS selling is another matter. Like the park cds. We should buy them. I know not everybody does, and I'm not going to judge them. But I have actively discouraged that type of sharing many times, because I want Disney to support the release of more terrific audio. Which I will purchase.

Honestly, I have no superior knowledge about what Disney thinks about Dave's selling stuff. I'm just making a logical guess that they don't care. He's been selling stuff that's clearly not HIS for years and they haven't shut him down. They hired him to do work for them. That's kind of an endorsement. I would guess that if they did care he'd be out of business very quickly.

BLM07

Maybe the charity is "The House of Retired Disney Characters."

Gurgitoy2

I'm not trying to make an argument, I just don't like being called a thief.  (If that's what Bill was even doing) I was merely defending myself.
Yeah, I don't think Bill was referring to you, but rather Dave's "honest" dealings with a few, while maintaining some questionable practices. 

I don't know, for every person who says they have never had a problem with him, or his DVD's, there has been another who has had a bad experience.  In my book, that's certainly not a ringing endorsement.  It appears his reputation and quality of work is about 50/50, based on what is known.  I do know that there is not a single thing mentioned on his sites anymore about giving to charity, so I do wonder if he got called on that and removed it.  Maybe the money really did go to fund his book, I have no idea.  At this point I'm very wary of buying anything from his site, because I don't know where the money goes, and I'm not sure of the quality of product/service I'll get.

I am not going to defend or criticize David, but I think this deserves to be considered. I receive regular emails from EA and this one showed up yesterday. I have not been to the website recently, but this was about the book in question and David's statement as to where the proceeds go so I thought I would put it here (bolds by me):

"Hello everyone,

I'm so pleased to report that our very first book is done and ready to purchase now.

Called Anaheim Vacationland, this 244 page, full color book covers
the history of the Disneyland area from 1955 to today.

I have been working on this project since 2001, collection rare images, stories and interviews about all the crazy motels, neon signs, liquor stores, and such that encircle Disneyland now and in the 60's.

The book is a high quality book that measures 8.5inches x 11 inches.

Inside the book are hundreds of rare images of Tiki Motels, Western Motels, Space Age Motels and more! With a forward by Disney Legend Bob Gurr, and an introduction by Disney Hotel author Don Ballard! Plus Disney Legend Marty Sklar, and Buzz Price (the man who picked the location for Disneyland,
and even Roy Disney himself.

The book descibes my life growing up in the 80's in the motels around Disneyland,
and I always wondered what it was like before.... The book then goes back to
the birth of Anaheim, through the opening day of Disneyland and then becomes
a pictorial scrap book of old motels, ads, and more! Plus a look at the other theme
parks around Disneyland like Japanese Deer Park, Magic Mountain, Wide World
of Wax, Movieland, Movie World, Lion Country Safari and more!

The book is 244 pages of all color images, interviews, stories and more
from the history of Disneyland and Anaheim.

The first edition is a very limited printing, and much like the nickle tour
book, this will go fast.

The book's web site now has sample pages, more info about the book and
you can even buy the book right now!

All proceeds from the book will go to help the Anaheim Motel families.

Take a look now at the book by going to:
http://www.anaheimvacationland.com/

To purchase the book now, please go to:
http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/index.asp?...&ProdID=200

The book has been a project that has ben a labor of love for many years, and it
is wonderful that I can now share my passion for Disneyland and Anaheim
history with you.

Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it, and thank you for helping the people of Anaheim. All shipping will be through UPS with tracking.

David Oneal"

Horizons

Playlist Author

How does this determine where the proceeds from the Disney audio/videos go?

Gurgitoy2

"All proceeds from the book will go to help the Anaheim Motel families."

What does this mean, exactly? Is there a charity set up for this? I'm no trying to be a jerk about it, but this seems kind of "loose" to me. It's just vague enough to be suspicious. I'll have to do some more research about this...

Thanks for posting that email though.

Gurgitoy2

Ok, after doing some research, I've found that he could potentially be giving to people helping these motel families. Here are some links I've found.

http://www.ocpartnership.net/file_programs_motel.doc

http://www.pewcenter.org/doingcj/spotlight...light.php?id=17

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa36...101/ai_n8942910

There are a few agencies that give money, food, etc. to these borderline homless familes, and it's certainly a worthy cause. I truly hope that Mr. Oneal is giving to who he says he is, because it appears the need is genuine.

How does this determine where the proceeds from the Disney audio/videos go?
It doesn't. It only states what David says,  but if you are going to question the integrity/character of another person using this board, perhaps you should consider contacting  him yourself and ask these questions and let him defend/lose his reputation instead of throwing up innuendos. Opinions about the book are fine, judgement on character should be backed up with fact or dropped (IMHO).

Horizons

Playlist Author

I personally don't care what he does with the proceeds from the sale of the audio or video. I think selling the material is wrong...period.

Or what percentage actually goes to charity?

I personally don't care what he does with the proceeds from the sale of the audio or video.  I think selling the material is wrong...period. 
So which are you arguing??  The possible illegal selling of material or whether the funds from the book go to charity? I was addressing what you and others inferred about his charitable work. I have made no comment about whether EA is or should be selling copyrighted material, I just question attacking him for his comments about charitable giving of which you have not provided any evidence against. 

Horizons

Playlist Author

I just asked if anyone knew what percentage of the revenue went to charity. As I said, the reselling of audio or video that one could purchase legally doesn't sit right with me, regardless of what happens to the proceeds. That's the basic point that I, and others who responded, are making. I'm not sure why I need to provide evidence against asking a simple question.