The In Sound from Way Out!
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

31-uy-yCSRL._AC_UY80_.jpg
03. Cosmic Ballad 3:28
Perrey and Kingsley
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

Read more about this playlist...

Yes, Disneyland's Star Trader shop now has an interior music loop. Actually for all the crowds I couldn't hear it too well and it may be more sound effects than anything. But it's very electronic and my first impression was that it was like the new WDW Tomorrowland loop that was just installed. Anyway, a nice touch but even harder to hear than the new Emporium music. If any brave soul feels like camping out in an out of the way corner of the Star Trader, we'd love some more info (loop time, track listing, etc..)

So what's the verdict? Are we pretty much decided that WDI musta come across a big surplus of money in the music account or something?

Man...I've got my work cut out for me.

-Damien

MattOrkin

I listened to this music today. It is nothing that I have heard before. Was not the new music that plays in the Magic Kingdom in WDW.

X-S Tech

I suggest we stake out Adventureland Bazaar and see if it's had any musical updates. Perhaps the old Aladdin's Oasis loop will resurface...

Is there a need for the Aladdin's Oasis BGM XS?

I listened to the DL Startrader music last night. I was diggin it I must say.

X-S Tech

I don't know what currently plays at the Oasis' current character storytelling incarnation but the previous, restaurant (but not dinner show) had a great loop of popular songs arranged in a faux middle eastern style. The one I always remembered was the theme to the "I dream of Jeannie" TV series. And yes it's in demand.

So could you hear the Star Trader Loop well? Can you tell us anything about it?

MattOrkin

From what I heard of the music in Star Traders it reminded me of the old circlevision music that played before the Delta pre-show. I could be way way off, but thats what came to my mind.

I also thought it was similar to the old MK Tomorrowland loop(the one that was replaced). I find it amazing that a large portion of Disneyland is devoid of atmosphere music, while every single other park is chocked full of it.

XS,

E-mail me.

As far as the loop sounds...It sounds like it's done in the vein of some of the newer (not the NEW bgm) tomorrowland stuff heard around Tomorrowland at WDW. I'm talking stylewise. It was noisy in Startraders but what I heard, I rather enjoyed.

-D

MattOrkin

Well I listened to the Star Trader loop and I recognized some of the songs coming from Perrey and Kingsley from the 60s.

51EW+SPN5gL._AC_US65_.jpg
Perrey and Kingsley
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

Notably they did the original composition of Baroque Hoedown. Listen to the samples....they fit that irreverant space theme that exemplifies Tomorrowland (hodge-podge of whatever).

I took a very crude recording (about 20 seconds) of the loop, so if you're interested let me know what to do.

ALOHA

Karalora

I have one of Perrey's albums and have been able to ID some of the songs played, although I don't know where they occur in the loop:

The Mexican Cactus
Island in Space
The Little Girl From Mars
The Little Ships
Porcupine Rock

Club 33

Playlist Author
Quite an old topic! Nevertheless, I actually wasn't aware that Startraders had its own loop. Does it still play? If so I can try and get a full reference recording for IDing.

Karalora

It was playing last time I was in there, although that was a few months ago. I don't see why they would have stopped.

Please do try to get a recording if you can. I was curious about the identity of the music in there for a long time and now that it's coming to light, I'd like to recreate the loop.

Here's how I found out what I know:

I had started listening to a Live365 station called Uncle Walt's Place, which has several tracks labeled as "Star Trader 1," "Star Trader 2," etc., although the numbers are probably just to differentiate the tracks from each other and don't reflect where each piece falls in the loop. I recognized one of them as "Porcupine Rock," which I had picked up while trying to reconstruct the TDL Tomorrowland area loop. I noticed that the other tracks were in a similar style, so I bought the full album, "Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound of Jean-Jacques Perrey," and sure enough, all the other "Star Trader" pieces in the UWP library were from that album. It may be that others from the same album are also in the loop and simply aren't played by Uncle Walt's Place.

61c09MZGYjL._AC_US65_.jpg
The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound of Jean-Jacques Perrey
Jean-Jacques Perrey
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

Club 33

Playlist Author
It's settled then! I'm hoping to make it down there next week for a day of recording, so I'll put it on the list. Induction is always preferable of course but unlikely; if nothing else I'll try and get it with a shotgun mic. I actually have a new stereo shotgun rig I've been meaning to try out...though it's not the most subtle thing in the world.

Club 33

Playlist Author
So- a mere six and a half years after this topic was originally posted, I've finally made a full recording of the Star Traders loop. Not my favorite loop recording experience, it must be said; I ended up using my binaural mics since those cieling speakers are pretty high up and I didn't bring my shotgun.

The loop runs about an hour. Hopefully using the leads in this thread making a listing shouldn't be too hard; based on listening to the loop today and listening to some Perrey and Kingsley samples on iTunes it looks like what's been posted thus far is spot on.

Magic Music: You ask, we answer. Eventually.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Is the Star Trader shop in Disneyland the gift shop to the Star Tours attraction (not to be confused with Mickey's Star Trader here at the MK in FL)? If so, it seems weird not to play music from the Star Wars films. In DHS, Tatooine Traders, the Star Tours attraction gift shop, has a "Star Wars themed" interior loop, which is, I believe, different than the loop playing outside the attraction (also comprised of Star Wars music).

X-S Tech

Is the Star Trader shop in Disneyland the gift shop to the Star Tours attraction (not to be confused with Mickey's Star Trader here at the MK in FL)? If so, it seems weird not to play music from the Star Wars films. In DHS, Tatooine Traders, the Star Tours attraction gift shop, has a "Star Wars themed" interior loop, which is, I believe, different than the loop playing outside the attraction (also comprised of Star Wars music).

Yes Star Tours does exit into the Star Trader, however only the first room you exit into is themed to Star Tours. I don't believe this room has a loop, but you can certainly hear the Star Tours music from the exit corridor. You then enter the Main room of the Star Trader, and this is where the Perry/Kingsley loop is playing. This main room is much more just a general merchandise location themed to Tomorrowland but not necessarily Star Tours.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Yes Star Tours does exit into the Star Trader, however only the first room you exit into is themed to Star Tours. I don't believe this room has a loop, but you can certainly hear the Star Tours music from the exit corridor. You then enter the Main room of the Star Trader, and this is where the Perry/Kingsley loop is playing. This main room is much more just a general merchandise location themed to Tomorrowland but not necessarily Star Tours.

Ok, this makes more sense. Thanks.

Club 33

Playlist Author
Yes, Disneyland's Star Trader shop now has an interior music loop. Actually for all the crowds I couldn't hear it too well and it may be more sound effects than anything. But it's very electronic and my first impression was that it was like the new WDW Tomorrowland loop that was just installed. Anyway, a nice touch but even harder to hear than the new Emporium music. If any brave soul feels like camping out in an out of the way corner of the Star Trader, we'd love some more info (loop time, track listing, etc..)

So what's the verdict? Are we pretty much decided that WDI musta come across a big surplus of money in the music account or something?

Well, a mere 9 years and two months later, I finally have a completed playlist for this loop! A pity the loop hasn't actually played since July 27, 2010, when the Star Trader closed along with Star Tours for the re-do and reappeared with an X-Wing and an uninspired Star Wars soundtrack loop. But, oh well, I guess that's why we make playlists...

Tomorrowland
The Star Trader BGM
c. 2003 to July 27, 2010

|
| [SNIP]
|

Total running time: 1:00:13.

All tracks from "The Out Sound from Way In!" 3-disc box set.

513JeZ3Yj8L._AC_US65_.jpg
The Out Sound from Way In!
Perrey and Kingsley
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

I repeat my previous tagline...

Magic Music. You ask, we answer. Eventually.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Nice job, Club 33!

While the tracks can be found on The Out Sound from Way In!, I would recommend buying copies of the original albums as used by WDI:

51EW+SPN5gL._AC_US65_.jpg
Perrey and Kingsley
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

61c09MZGYjL._AC_US65_.jpg
The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound of Jean-Jacques Perrey
Jean-Jacques Perrey
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

513OEK5bIxL._AC_US65_.jpg
Moog Indigo
Jean-Jacques Perrey
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

For diehard Perrey and Kingsley fans, The Out Sound from Way In! does have the benefit of featuring 1967's Kaleidoscopic Vibrations: Spotlight on the Moog, including Pioneers of the Stars, which was previously available only on the original LP. The Fatboy Slim and Eurotrash remixes comprising Disc 3 are worthless, though.