The Sherman Brothers Songbook

Gurgitoy2

Hey, Randy,

I know I've pestered you a bit lately, but I just had to ask you a question based on what I read in the latest issue of Disney Twenty-Three magazine.

There is a great article on the new documentary on the Sherman Brothers, and also, a mini-bio on you. It says that you're working on something called "The Sherman Brothers Songbook". Now, I'm guessing it's a CD set? Maybe I'm wrong, but I sure hope not. Also, this can't be too hush-hush since it's printed in the magazine. So...can you give us any hints? Will it be a comprehensive set with everything they've ever written for Disney? I would love it if it was, and included some rare things that have never been released before. For example, the Disneyland 10th anniversary song, or "There's no Place Like World Showcase", and the full version of "Makin' Memories" with the missing bridge restored.

All I can say is that it's definitely time for a boxed set of their works, since they've done so much. If Howard Ashman & Alan Menken can have a boxed set, it's only fair, LOL.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Oh great, it got moved. Nobody will see it over here...
View New Posts

Heck, I probably should have moved it (from Parks) to Movies... :rolleyes:

The Parent Trap, In Search of the Castaways, The Sword in the Stone, Mary Poppins, The Happiest Millionaire, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Aristocats, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, Snoopy Come Home, Charlotte's Web, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, The Many Adventures of Winne the Pooh, The Magic of Lassie, An American Tail, Little Nemo, Mighty Kong, The Tigger Movie, etc.

Gurgitoy2

Oh great, it got moved. Nobody will see it over here...
View New Posts

Heck, I probably should have moved it (from Parks) to Movies... :rolleyes:

The Parent Trap, In Search of the Castaways, The Sword in the Stone, Mary Poppins, The Happiest Millionaire, The Jungle Book, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Aristocats, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, Snoopy Come Home, Charlotte's Web, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, The Many Adventures of Winne the Pooh, The Magic of Lassie, An American Tail, Little Nemo, Mighty Kong, The Tigger Movie, etc.
I put it in parks because my requests were more park specific, but they did write much more for movies...

Why is "An American Tail" in your list? They didn't write for that.

I just got the DVD of "Little Nemo", and I really enjoy it, despite it's storied history and flaws. The music is fun, and it's just nice to be able to get it again (at a very low price too). Up until it's recent release, it was hard to come by, and fetched high prices on ebay. I do have to say, that I really would have liked to see how Miyazaki handled it...I saw his test footage, and it was very nice.

DisneyChris

I would love a set like that to also include the songs they wrote for Welcome to Pooh Corner for the Disney Channel.

One of the three major projects I've been working on the last few months is –

The Sherman Brothers Songbook

[floatright] [/floatright]This is a 59 track 2 CD set chronicling the Sherman Brothers' Disney career from "Tall Paul" to The Tigger Movie. Along with the usual hits, we've been able to include some rare recordings as well as songs released on CD for the very fist time. Also, amongst the 59 tracks, are three Bonus Tracks (from a vintage Disneyland Records release) of songs The Boys wrote for a flying car movie. :unsure:

The CD is packaged in a 2 Disc 'Slim-Line' case and includes a 20-page booklet with liner notes and pictures of the Shermans throughout their various projects. Richard Sherman not only supplied us with some of his personal photos, but joined me in the studio for a couple of days as we restored and mastered this terrific collection.

The Sherman Brothers Songbook will make its debut at the D23 Expo in September, and will be released nation-wide shortly thereafter.

Of course you would expect me to say this, but this album turned out really great. I hope you'll enjoy it half as much as we did putting it together.

Randy Thornton

Here's the complete playlist –

DISC ONE
1. Tall Paul (1:35) from the album "Annette" – 1958
2. Pineapple Princess (2:26) from the album "Hawaiiannette" – 1960
3. The Flubber Song (2:06) The Absent-Minded Professor – 1961
4. The Parent Trap (2:16) The Parent Trap – 1961
5. For Now For Always (2:15) The Parent Trap – 1961
6. Let's Get Together (1:29) The Parent Trap – 1961
7. The Wonderful World of Color (Main Title) (1:46) The Wonderful World of Color – 1961
8. The Spectrum Song (1:34) An Adventure In Color – 1961
9. The Green with Envy Blues (2:47) An Adventure In Color – 1961
10. Strummin' Song (Rehearsal Version) (2:05) The Horsemasters – 1961
11. Although I Dropped $100,00 In the Market (1:47) Symposium On Popular Music – 1962
12. I'm Blue For You (Boo Boo Boo Boo Boo)(2:05) Symposium On Popular Music– 1962
13. Castaway (1:26) In Search of the Castaways – 1962
14. Enjoy It! (2:07) In Search of the Castaways – 1962
15. On the Front Porch (3:23) Summer Magic – 1963
16. Femininity (1:59) Summer Magic – 1963
17. The Ugly Bug Ball (3:02) Summer Magic – 1963
18. The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room (2:39) The Enchanted Tiki Room, Disneyland – 1963
19. It's a Small World (After All) (1:22) The New York World's Fair – 1964
20. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (2:09) The New York World's Fair – 1964
21. A Spoonful of Sugar (4:06) Mary Poppins – 1964
22. Chim Chim Cher-ee (2:45) Mary Poppins – 1964
23. Feed the Birds (Tuppence a Bag) (3:49) Mary Poppins – 1964
24. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (2:01) Mary Poppins – 1964
25. The Monkey's Uncle (2:31) The Monkey's Uncle – 1965
26. That Darn Cat (2:45) That Darn Cat – 1965
27. Winnie the Pooh (1:18) Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree – 1966
28. Up, Down, Touch the Ground (1:02) Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree – 1966
29. Little Black Rain Cloud :)49) Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree – 1966
30. I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song) (4:02) The Jungle Book – 1967
31. Trust In Me (2:49) The Jungle Book – 1967
32. My Own Home (3:30) The Jungle Book – 1967

TOTAL PLAYING TIME 1:13:45

DISC TWO
1. Fortuosity (3:10) The Happiest Millionaire – 1967
2. Valentine Candy (3:42) The Happiest Millionaire – 1967
3. Are We Dancing (3:25) The Happiest Millionaire – 1967
4. It Won't Be Long 'til Christmas (3:15) The Happiest Millionaire – 1967
5. The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers :)35) Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day – 1968
6. Heffalumps and Woozles (2:03) Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day – 1968
7. The Rain Rain Rain Came Down Down Down (1:38) Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day – 1968
8. Ten Feet Off the Ground (2:44) The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band – 1968
9. The Happiest Girl Alive (3:08) The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band – 1968
10. 'Bout Time (2:46) The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band – 1968
11. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (2:30) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1969) [BONUS TRACK]
12. Hushabye Mountain (2:54) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1969) [BONUS TRACK]
13. Me Ol' Bam-Boo (2:12) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1969) [BONUS TRACK]
14. The Aristocats (2:18) The Aristocats – 1970
15. Scales and Arpeggios (1:43) The Aristocats – 1970
16. She Never Felt Alone (2:13) The Aristocats – 1970
17. The Age of Not Believing (3:18) Bedknobs and Broomsticks – 1971
18. Portebello Road (3:27) Bedknobs and Broomsticks – 1971
19. The Beautiful Briny (4:01) Bedknobs and Broomsticks – 1971
20. One Little Spark (3:36) Journey Into Imagination, EPCOT – 1982
21. Makin' Memories (3:26) Journey Into Imagination, EPCOT – 1982
22. Magic Journeys (3:33) Magic Journey, EPCOT – 1982
23. Meet the World (2:37) Meet the World, Tokyo Disneyland – 1983
24. Pooh's Lullabee (1:40) The Tigger Movie – 2000
25. The Whoop-De-Dooper-Bounce (2:10) The Tigger Movie – 2000
26. Your Heart Will Lead You Home (4:22) The Tigger Movie – 2000
27. Walt Disney and The Sherman Brothers Sing (1:08) Progressland Promotional Film – 1963

TOTAL PLAYING TIME 1:13:34

P.S. – Here's a hint for the second of these three mysterious projects:

The cover for the Fall issue of Disney Twenty-three Magazine uses our recently restored artwork from this upcoming album's cover. More on that album in a few weeks.

Turbollama

That is fantastic, thank you! There is a lot of great music on this release.

When I saw the songs from Winnie the Pooh, the first question that came to my mind was are they the remakes (as released on The Best Pooh and Tigger, Too) or the original versions? Most of those songs have different track lengths from previously released albums, so I'm rather curious.

mmmfan

Looking forward to this set. I know that the cover of D23 for fall features the Haunted Mansion. Can't wait to hear about the next CD. :unsure:

This is great! There's a bunch of stuff here I don't have a decent version of! I hope you next 2 projects are as interesting as this one! It's exciting for some great new audio to be coming out. I haven't bought anything since World's Fair, which I loved!

dalvarad

Thanks Randy for the new tracks that we haven't seen before....can't wait until this is released. Only one thing missing-where's "the Seven Moons of Beta Lyrae" from Moon Pilot? :p

That would have been cool!

Gurgitoy2

Wow, that's quite a track listing! I know that you could release a huge boxed set of the Sherman Bros. material because there's just so much, but I have to say that you crammed in a really good assortment of their best stuff on just 2 discs! Also, I notice this is the first time anything from Tokyo Disneyland has been released on a stateside release. Is it a different track than the one found on most of the Tokyo Disneyland Music Albums? It would be awesome to get an English version, since I know the song was written for EPCOT's version of "Meet the World" as well. The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang tracks are a nice surprise considering they are not Disney, however they fit nicely. Were they a pain to get the rights to?

Gurgitoy2

Oh, by the way, I just found the revised cover art for this set. After recent events, it was felt that this revision was a better reflection on the brothers.

Sherman Bros cover with LOVE.jpg

WDWGuy08

why was this pushed back to october 13, 2009, now? according to amazon!?

BJWanlund

Not that I'm one to complain, but there's definitely some other things on my plate right now, like the Castle S1 DVD and Snow White on Blu-Ray.

I'm more than happy to wait for some Sherman Brothers goodness (unless, of course, it comes onto iTunes).

BJ