The Lion King Complete Score Petition

DemonStar

All you Hans Zimmer/Lion King/Disney fans, please take some time to read and sign the following petition to get the complete score of The Lion King released officially -

www.petitiononline.com/LIONKING/petition.html

The official release, as you all know, has only 4 short score tracks that are not even totally from the scenes their titles indicate, or they're very severely edited and cut. The bootleg doing the rounds is of poor quality and has several tracks in mono. Therefore we hope to get this beautiful a real complete score release which it deserves. Though I know it is tough to convince Disney Records themselves to release it, we hope to pique the interest of famous score record labels like Varese or Intrada if the petition gets enough signatures, and hopefully they'll help get it released if Disney sells them the rights (they did for the Baby: Secret of The Lost Legend score after all). Please try to spread word about the petition if you can too! Thanks a lot! :)

- Ravi

Horizons

Playlist Author
Maybe if these petitions start working out, I'll start one to get all of the needle drop playlists published. :p

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I notice that the petition is also on the forum on Zimmer's web page as well so, one presumes, it must be Disney that's decided not to release it (rather than the composer not wanting it released [- that does happen sometimes).
Seems odd considering the awards and popularity (plus the successful Broadway show and as a very popular attraction in the parks (I've seen it several times and will be seeing it again this year)) - it's always full (good old disabled pass means a decent seat and no having to queue) ;D

Welcome to the Board, Ravi!

With "The Lion King" soundtrack being the first awarded the RIAA Diamond Award (over 10 Million Sold [and that was in1994]), the highly successful "Rhythm of the Pridelands" album (which greatly influenced "The Lion King Broadway" and was also created by Mr. Zimmer and his friend Lebo M), the Broadway Hit itself, not to mention the very popular Parades and Shows at the Disney Parks around the world, one can assume that there is a reason why the full underscore has not been released as you have asked in your original post.

I believe that answer can be found in this thread from Film Score Monthly.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cf...1&archive=0

That discussion is correct in that an additional score track ("Hyenas") was included on several international releases. It is my understanding that Mr. Zimmer was not consulted for this addition. The discussion of the "For Your Consideration" release is also of import.

It should be noted that the score tracks that appear on the current US release were indeed produced by Mr. Zimmer (who I must say, after having met him several times, is a very kind and gracious gentleman).

Unfortunately, this info doesn't really help your cause. But I hope that it gives you an understanding of possibly why this score has yet to be released as you have requested.

Randy Thornton

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Thanks for that. I assumed that there must have been a dispute somewhere for it not to have appeared.

Hiya eyore!

Sorry, I honesty don't want to be 'semantics' police, but for issues like this I think it's best to be clear. :)

I wouldn't say that there is or was a 'dispute' as there was a 'decision' that was made.

As you mentioned in an earlier post, some artists feel that what they initially included is all that they feel should be released - for any number of reasons.

In fact, the great Henry Mancini preferred to re-record cues of his scores (and songs) for release on an album as he felt it was a better listening experience, and he could then re-arrange his music to showcase his own best efforts - free of the confines of the picture and it's timings.

Thanks,
Randy

Dirk

That discussion is correct in that an additional score track ("Hyenas") was included on several international releases. It is my understanding that Mr. Zimmer was not consulted for this addition.

Interesting information Randy. The German release did include that extra track in the original version ... and - considering your information - strangely the track was retained for the German version of the 2003 special edition. If Hans Zimmer wasn't consulted and would have objected to the track being released I am wondering how they got away with releasing it again in 2003. Any insights you could share?

Dirk

almandot

Eh. Every now and then a company is smart enough to realize that once something is out there it's out there and purposely taking it away from a newer release with mostly the same content is likely going to stop people from buying said release and for people looking for something to buy to get the older release instead. =P Just speculation ;)

DemonStar

Welcome to the Board, Ravi!

With "The Lion King" soundtrack being the first awarded the RIAA Diamond Award (over 10 Million Sold [and that was in1994]), the highly successful "Rhythm of the Pridelands" album (which greatly influenced "The Lion King Broadway" and was also created by Mr. Zimmer and his friend Lebo M), the Broadway Hit itself, not to mention the very popular Parades and Shows at the Disney Parks around the world, one can assume that there is a reason why the full underscore has not been released as you have asked in your original post.

I believe that answer can be found in this thread from Film Score Monthly.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cf...1&archive=0

That discussion is correct in that an additional score track ("Hyenas") was included on several international releases. It is my understanding that Mr. Zimmer was not consulted for this addition. The discussion of the "For Your Consideration" release is also of import.

It should be noted that the score tracks that appear on the current US release were indeed produced by Mr. Zimmer (who I must say, after having met him several times, is a very kind and gracious gentleman).

Unfortunately, this info doesn't really help your cause. But I hope that it gives you an understanding of possibly why this score has yet to be released as you have requested.

Randy Thornton

Hi Randy, thanks a lot for the welcome :) yeah I read that page from FSM sometime back. It is hard to believe that Mr. Zimmer says that the music on the CD is all that needs to be there... if you watch the movie you can easily notice that three fourths of the highlights are missing. All I can say that the score tracks on the CD are just not enough for a good representation of the score ;) Not only are they overshort, but they're edited and pieced together from various portions of the film and not a good listening experience as such.

Regarding the FYC promo or recording sessions, I have already come across two people who have them, but they refused to help me at all. It's very hard to have any access to these items.

And read this post from FSM - "Disney might be willing, if prodded enough, to license out minor catalogue items like "Baby" or a rejected Bernstein score. But they will never, ever let an "evergreen" property like "The Lion King" out of their family of labels." If they don't intend to sell the rights nor will they release it themselves, what do they intend to do with it? Let it lay gathering dust in their shelves till it's completely worn out and useless? Or play basketball with it? :D :p I know it's their music and it's their wish what to do with it, but still, because it's just the songs and pop remixes they're concerned about, why not just sell the rights of the score and be done with it?

That's why the petition so we can hope that if it gets enough signatures, either they release it themselves and get done with it, or sell the rights to another label like Varese or Intrada. I know it's tough, but not impossible. After all this is my most favourite score of all time ;) ;D

cschurr

Whoa, that is interesting info on the extra score track. It looks like it is on my Spanish language cd of the Lion King too. Where there any other soundtracks that had extra score not on the original US release?

Hey Ravi!

I understand how you feel.

However, if I were producing a soundtrack and the composer asked me to edit something a certain way or not include a cue, I'd do it without question.

I've always felt that my first priority (nay, duty) was to showcase an artists works the way they envision it. Admittedly, most of the composers whose works I've restored over the years had passed away long before I produced the CDs - but had The Sherman Brothers asked me to not include something on "Mary Poppins", it wouldn't be on the disc - no matter how magnificent I personally believe a track be. If the composer doesn't want a cue (or 12) included, that's it. Fortunately, I've never been faced with this issue. If I was, I probably would ask why just for my own curiosity. But, honestly, they could respond with "Because it's Tuesday" and I would say "Oakey Dokey!". It just wouldn't be my place.

You are correct, nothing is impossible. It took 40 years for the underscore cues from "Mary Poppins" to finally get released, and over 50 years for "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" to surface. (sorry, had to)

I wish you the best with your petition. It would be grand if something comes of it.

All my best,
Randy Thornton

BJWanlund

I signed it! Here's hoping.

BJ