The Ballad of Davy Crockett by the Wellingtons

Joseph

I'm a little confused about something. In the new Walt Disney Archive Collection Volume 1 the first track is The Ballad of Davy Crockett by the Wellingtons. However, in all other previous Disney collections with this track the singers are listed as the Mellomen. It definitely sounds more like the Mellomen than the Wellingtons, who sang the Gilligan's Island theme song. Anybody else think so? Which group is it?

BJWanlund

It does sound like the Melomen. Can Randy corroborate this story?

BJ

The soundtrack was recorded by the Mellomen (on most of the other collections) - - while the Wellingtons did a single for Disneyland/Vista in the 60's.

ORGINAL POST REMOVED

Sorry Folks,

After some thought, I feel I need to do a little more research before I commit to my post. Some things just don?t sit right with me about what I posted.

Randy Thornton

BJWanlund

Thanks Randy!!

BJ

Joseph

Well, I just listened to that single version of The Ballad of Davy Crockett by the Wellingtons, which I remembered I had, and it is most definitely NOT the version which is heard on the recent Archive collection, and all previous collections. It's completely different, done in an early 60's Kingston Trio, "come on let's all sing along!" folkie style(which is actually quite well done!).

Yeah - - i just listened to the iTunes sample of Ballad of Davy Crockett credited to The Wellingtons and that is actually the soundtrack version recorded by the Mellomen.

- - also I checked Amazon for the version used on the new Magic Behind the Music comp - - and that is a Fess Parker recording.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Music-Behind-...TF8&s=music

The Wellingtons version, which I have in my own collection, is a 60's folk uptempo revisoning of the song. A nice single, also found on the Wellington's Disneyland LP "Folk Heroes" compilation.

Joseph and merlinjones,

As your own research has proven, this version of ?The Ballad of Davy Crockett? is performed by The Melomen and NOT The Wellingtons.

It turns out I perpetuated an error that originated in 1996 on ?Classic Disney Volume 3? (which was the last time this version was released) ? previous releases either had no credit or correctly identified The Melomen. Though I know where this egregious error began, I don?t know how it started ? as The Wellington?s version has yet to be released digitally by WDR. Our database has now been updated with the correct performance credit so this mistake can never happen again. This will be a good exercise to see if and how quickly iTunes can update info like this.

I sincerely thank you for bringing this error to my attention.

Randy Thornton

BJWanlund

I had to update it myself, as I'd already downloaded it...

Thank you for setting the story straight, Randy.

BJ

Joseph

As an additional note to this discussion, the Wellingtons' version of The Ballad of Davy Crockett was rereleased on the B side of LLP-360, "Walt Disney's Davy Crockett", the little book and record set released in 1971, with narration by Lois Lane.

>>As an additional note to this discussion, the Wellingtons' version of The Ballad of Davy Crockett was rereleased on the B side of LLP-360, "Walt Disney's Davy Crockett", the little book and record set released in 1971, with narration by Lois Lane.