CD   iTunes   MP3 

full
03. Fautaua (Rain) ~1:08
Drummers of Patutoa
The Beat of Tahiti
 Vinyl 

Read more about this playlist...

Alex K

Last month I stumbled across a file called Sunshine Pavillion (sic) Area Music Loop that clocks in at 15:08. There are six tracks in this loop and they alternate from percussion only to marimba, ukulele, steel guitar, and electric organ combinations and, in track five, vocals. I've searched the archives here and the current forum but have found nothing on this subject. I've also googled it and found very little. The id3 tag on the file says Enchanted Tiki Room for the album and 1971 for the date but I've not found any Disney issued albums that match that time for WDW, only Disneyland. (Correct me if I'm wrong but the Sunshine Tree Terrace is a WDW only attraction in Adventureland as far as I know.) Nor is it part of the Orange Tree albums associated with the Florida Citrus Grower's Association, who used to sponsor the pavilion. Furthermore, I don't think it's JP and the Silver Stars. Any ideas? Thanks!

A few years back, before the magic carpet dumbo ride sprouted in the plaza at MK Adventureland. I sat in front of the Tiki Room on a very slow night, and it was quiet enough for me to hear the music being played there. Sounds like the loop you describe. It was not the loop I currently hear with the Balafon Marimba Orchestra track. Is it a live recording? I tried taping the loop but it was playing very softly. I know for sure one of the songs played on the organ was a Philippine folksong "Dahil sa Iyo", which probably found its way into a Hawaiian recording.

Alex, the loop could be a live recording; if so, it's very clean. Unfortunatley, I've not found anything to compare it against but it strikes me as odd to have an 'official' loop that's only 15 minutes and change. So, I'm not sure if it was recorded onsite or came from an album somewhere. You mentioned 'Dahil sa Iyo' and I listened to several renditions on-line and I don't think that melody is in this loop.

To further complicate the issue, I didn't hear this loop in January of this year when I specifically went to the Sunshine Tree Terrace to copy down the menu items. I, too, miss the days pre-Magic Carpets of Aladdin as it's quite hard now to hear the 'old' Adventureland underneath the new, somewhat out of place, elements.

Alex K

Diego, we're talking about different loops then. Let us know if you find anything more. ??? I've got to dig up that tape of mine, now I'm curious and I'd like to listen to it again. But unfortunately I have a lot of them! They're arranged in chronological order and I don't remember when I recorded that loop, or if it is even listenable. Must be old age. I'm not even sure if that loop played only in the evening, or if it was just too noisy for me to hear it at other times.

hmmmmm........well.if you must know.the Sunshine Pavilion music that's out circulating probably came from me.......The source was the retired 7.5 reel tape dated
12-1971 if you have a "full" copy it should run exactly 15:10

Sunshine Pavilion BGM WDW
12-71
obsolete : 10-25-1995

DC-88 SPACELINER

DC-88 -- that's music to my ears! :)

Yes, I've the full 15:10 track with an id3 tag stating 1971. What can you tell me about this music? I've been listening to it for the past two weeks and can't quite put together who it might be. Anything you could provide to solve this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you're willing to discuss, how did you come across this 7 1/2 ips reel to begin with? Was it your own recording? I've many more questions but, nonetheless, this track sounds pretty good. Thanks!

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Yes, I know ... "one from the vaults." I've managed to make a little headway on some random early Magic Kingdom loops this week, including the early Sunshine Pavilion area music loop running 15.10. (Is it still called the Sunshine Pavilion?)

There appear to be seven tracks:

01. Unknown [02.06]

02. Kawonhikukapulani [02.17]
- Arthur Lyman, Hawaiian Sunset

03. Unknown [01.08]

04. Unknown [00.58]

05. Unknown [02.32]

06. Trade Winds [03.17]
- Webley Edwards Presents, Soft Hawaiian Guitars

07. Unknown [02.49]

Tracks 06-07 can be heard in the following video from Widen Your World. It shows the pre-show area to Tropical Serenade; the music appears between 00.38 and 02.15 when the pre-show starts.

I know, not much information, but I didn't see it previously posted.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I'm just listening to the Sunshine Pavilion loop right now. Right out of the gate, I already know your unknown Track 01...

21XXRxN1NgL._AA80_.jpg
0.1 Voodoo Bamboos 2:34
Chaino
Night of the Spectre
 iTunes 

Chaino is a must among Exotica fans! :)

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Jay, I knew you'd be able to fill in the blanks. I'm sure you won't have much trouble with the rest. Thanks for letting us know!

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Alas ... I am still a novice and appreciate the heads-up. Thanks for giving these Sunshine Pavilion tracks a listen, Jay.

Based on your listen, do you think tracks 3 and 4 are actually one track? I debated the decision to split them up.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
do you think tracks 3 and 4 are actually one track?
They sound like two different tracks to me. I want to say that they are also by Chaino, but I can't find my CDs at the moment, and most of his stuff is only available on LP.

I am more curious as to who the performer is for Trade Winds. Webley Edwards was a radio personality, the host of the popular Hawaii Calls program. While not a musician, he did help write the lyrics to Pearly Shells. Do you have a copy of the Soft Hawaiian Guitars LP? I am hoping there are some liner notes.

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
I do not have a physical copy of the LP. I did a search on Ebay, which turned up images of the album and the cover, and neither indicate performers but do provide composer names.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I do not have a physical copy of the LP. I did a search on Ebay, which turned up images of the album and the cover, and neither indicate performers but do provide composer names.
I am going to assume the performers are the Hawaii Calls Orchestra and Chorus, as that is standard fare for Webley Edwards' Hawaii Calls albums.

I have added what we know about the Sunshine Tree Terrace Area Music to the Playlists section.

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Looks good, Jay!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Is the sunshine pavilion loop the same as the sunshine tree terrace loop?
I believe so. Apparently, this loop played at the Sunshine Tree Terrace and also served as the pre-show music for the Tropical Serenade (Tiki Birds), which would explain the short playing time. Disney still refers to the 9-tiered tower and building that houses the Enchanted Tiki Birds as the Sunshine Pavilion, but now there are two separate loops being used for the pre-show and entrance area. That reminds me, I've got to remember to re-post the current loops.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Last month I stumbled across a file called Sunshine Pavillion (sic) Area Music Loop that clocks in at 15:08.
Just a quick note (after seeing the "sic" in the original post) that spelling it thus: Pavillion is the accepted English spelling of the word :p

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Apparently, this loop played at the Sunshine Tree Terrace and also served as the pre-show music for the Tropical Serenade (Tiki Birds), which would explain the short playing time. Disney still refers to the 9-tiered tower and building that houses the Enchanted Tiki Birds as the Sunshine Pavilion, but now there are two separate loops being used for the pre-show and entrance area.
I am wondering if I shouldn't re-title this as "Sunshine Tree Terrace" and create a duplicate playlist entry under the title of "Tropical Serenade Pre-show Music" in order to avoid confusion. Thoughts?

That reminds me, I've got to remember to re-post the current loops.
One down! I have added Tiki Room: New Management Entrance to the Playlists section.