Storyteller's Cafe Background Music [DL]

Cnjp

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has a full or partial list of the songs played in the Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand Californian Hotel at the Disneyland Resort. There is one song in particular that I am looking for. Part of it has a woodwind/whistling sound similar to "On The Rooftop" from Peter Pan. I tried looking at the DisneyMusicLoops website and contacting the resort directly, but I couldn't get any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cnjp

Horizons

Playlist Author
I tried contacting the resort directly, but I couldn't get any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My experience with the resorts is to try different contacts. Maybe someone will get lucky and find the right person to contact. This is not a fool proof strategy, as it's only worked once for me.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
I know there is a separate BGM for that restaurant, but I only heard it in the bathroom. The buffet, however is delicious, probably one of the best I've ever ate at. :itunes:

almandot

no help here.. i remember listening to it once and remembering a style of it but can't for the life of me remember it now. was it campish?:itunes:

Club 33

Playlist Author
I've spent a good amount of time this year doing research on the loops at the Grand Californian, so I can provide a little info.

As has been mentioned, Storyteller's does have its own music loop. There is also a hotel interior loop and an exterior loop, and the Napa Rose also has it's own music.

The music plays at a decent volume in the restaurant, however the speakers are located high, high up on the ceiling. Even when the restaurant is quiet identifying music using software such as Shazam has had very limited results.

I have never heard any music play at all in the restrooms, and I have checked specifically for it. Sea Castle, are you sure you're not thinking of the Napa Rose? It's also possible that music once played in there but no longer does.

The time that you dined at the restaurant is important- there are at least two different music loops that play. There is a main loop that is usually played at lunch and dinner, and there is also a special loop of Disney themes that plays during Character Breakfasts in the morning.

Items from the regular loop I have definitely heard include Blow the Man Down, a version that appears on a DLRP official album I have but may also appear on other albums, and music from the Cinderella soundtrack. I've also heard guitar tracks that sounded like the music that plays in the Golden State in DCA.

The difficulty of getting a clean recording, even a live one, makes IDing the loop a very difficult task. I have asked at guest services at the hotel in person for any and all information about the music that plays at the hotel and it's restaurants, and was sent to Guest Relations in the Esplanade, who in turn sent me to www.disneymusicloops.com (really). As far as I know guest services/relations at the resort does not have any loop information for any music in the resort. Obviously information about the loops must exist somewhere but finding out who has it and reaching them would be quite a project. I'm actually considering giving some of the loop information I've collected (such as the GC Exterior loop listing) to the hotel so that they'll have it if guests ask for it.

Club 33

Playlist Author
I made a quick (VERY quick) trip to the resort today to renew my AP as part of a whirlwind 48-hour trip home. Didn't do any recording but did accomplish one thing, I had lunch at Storyteller's and had my recorder running the whole time. I got the whole thing plus a bit of overlap. It's a not too terribly good live recording with crowd noise not to mention us talking at the table, but at least I'll be able to post the loop time, number of tracks, and track times. I was also able to identify a few of the tracks either from recognizing them or Shazam, and I have a few leads on others. Depending on how busy this week is I'm hoping to have a partial listing up that will at least have all of the time information as well as whatever tracks I'm able to identify. While with this sort of recording using software like Shazam wont be possible (plus I already tried to identify the tracks while I was sitting there), there's always just old fashioned looking, so in time hopefully I might be able to compile a complete tracklist.

Club 33

Playlist Author
There is one song in particular that I am looking for. Part of it has a woodwind/whistling sound similar to "On The Rooftop" from Peter Pan. I tried looking at the DisneyMusicLoops website and contacting the resort directly, but I couldn't get any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I actually was able to identify this track, I too initially thought it was from Peter Pan. It's actually "A Cottage in the Woods" from Sleeping Beauty.

Miss Tilly

I'm a Noob!
One of my favorite loops and places to eat at the resort. I know the loop includes the end-title from Shipwrecked.

Club 33

Playlist Author
I know the loop includes the end-title from Shipwrecked.
Good to know! Thanks for the info.

Also, while I'm fairly positive the loop does contain A Cottage in the Woods on listening to it today I think it's actually a different track (possibly also from Sleeping Beauty) that has the Peter Pan-ish opening Cnjp was referring to. Once I spend some time looking at it this week I'll post more difinitively.

So far I do have the time- 49:53.

Miss Tilly

I'm a Noob!
Sure thing. :(

Club 33

Playlist Author
Does anybody recognize this song? It sounds very familiar...like something at Animal Kingdom perhaps?...but I can't quite put my finger on it. I swear I've heard it somewhere.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yzr71u

Club 33

Playlist Author
There is one song in particular that I am looking for. Part of it has a woodwind/whistling sound similar to "On The Rooftop" from Peter Pan. I tried looking at the DisneyMusicLoops website and contacting the resort directly, but I couldn't get any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I actually was able to identify this track, I too initially thought it was from Peter Pan. It's actually "A Cottage in the Woods" from Sleeping Beauty.

I can now finally clear up the confusion here. It's actually two tracks edited together. The first part is "On the Rooftop" from Peter Pan, just that flute part that goes from 0:52-0:58 in the track. The rest is "A Cottage in the Woods" from Sleeping Beauty, as I said originally. Since "A Cottage in the Woods" also has a flute running through it the two mesh together quite seemlessly.

This is an incredibly odd loop. In addition to these two songs from Peter Pan and Sleeping Beauty, there's also a track from Cinderella. There's also score music from The Mask of Zorrow and Shipwrecked, an instrumental version of Blow the Man Down which appears on a Disneyland Paris CD, and a Spanish guitar version of "Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps". Quite an eclectic mix!

Miss Tilly

I'm a Noob!
This is an incredibly odd loop. In addition to these two songs from Peter Pan and Sleeping Beauty, there's also a track from Cinderella. There's also score music from The Mask of Zorrow and Shipwrecked, an instrumental version of Blow the Man Down which appears on a Disneyland Paris CD, and a Spanish guitar version of "Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps". Quite an eclectic mix!
Interesting. It is a rather odd loop, but the mix and editing works extremely well. Whom ever put this loop together really did a fantastic job of selecting music that fit the nature and theme of this restaurant perfectly. As for your track, I couldn't pin point the artist but it sounds to me you have hours of pan flute listening ahead of you! If you need any help, I would love to aid in this project Club 33. :(

Cnjp

Does anybody recognize this song? It sounds very familiar...like something at Animal Kingdom perhaps?...but I can't quite put my finger on it. I swear I've heard it somewhere.

That is the song! It reminds me of the three notes played in a few Peter Pan songs, including "On The Rooftop". If you happen to find any additional information on this song, could you please let me know? Thanks very much for all of the research you have done! :)

Club 33

Playlist Author

That is the song! It reminds me of the three notes played in a few Peter Pan songs, including "On The Rooftop". If you happen to find any additional information on this song, could you please let me know? Thanks very much for all of the research you have done! :)

Oh, haha. Guess I didn't identify your track after all. I thought you were referring to what ended up in fact being "On the Rooftop" mixed with the Sleeping Beauty track, as mentioned. No luck identifying it so far, but I'm sure it'll turn up.

Incidentally, here is a VERY rough outline of the listing I'm working on. No track times yet and the exact number of "Unknown" tracks (and thus the total number of tracks) is probably incorrect as I kind of rushed through it when I did my first pass. I should also mention that the selection of Blow the Man Down is arbitrary at the moment. This is just to give you a rough idea of where the tracks discussed here lie approximately in the loop:

1. Blow the Man Down
2. The Ride - James Horner - The Mask of Zorro [Edit]
3. On the Rooftop / What's a Kiss / Perturbed Pixie - Oliver Wallace - Peter Pan [Edit]
4. A Cottage in the Woods - George Bruns - Sleeping Beauty
5. Locked In the Tower / Gus and Jaq to the Rescue / Slipper Fittings / Cinderella's Slipper / Finale - Oliver Wallace & Paul J. Smith - Cinderella [Edit]
6. Unknown
7. Unknown
8. Unknown
9. Unknown
10. Unknown
11. End Titles Part II - Patrick Doyle - Shipwrecked
12. Unknown
13. Unknown

So there's still a bunch to go, but this is a good start and, not to worry, they'll all get identified in the end!

Club 33

Playlist Author
At long last the track the OP was looking for has been identified.

Winged Processional - Mesa Music Consort - Spirit Feathers

I've done some more work on this loop since my last post. Here is a much more accurate listing, with the correct number of unknown tracks, descriptions of unknown tracks, and a revised starting point based on analysis of the silent gaps in the loop.

Loop runs 49:53.

1. Spanish guitar
2. Rustic guitar
3. Rustic guitar
4. Blow the Man Down - Une Journee a Disneyland Paris
5. The Ride - James Horner - The Mask of Zorro [Edit]
6. On the Rooftop / What's a Kiss / Perturbed Pixie - Oliver Wallace - Peter Pan [Edit]
7. A Cottage in the Woods - George Bruns - Sleeping Beauty
8. Locked In the Tower / Gus and Jaq to the Rescue / Slipper Fittings / Cinderella's Slipper / Finale - Oliver Wallace & Paul J. Smith - Cinderella [Edit]
9. Sea Shanty type song, accordion, sounds kinda like the Columbia area music
10. Spanish guitar, latin rhythm, fades out
11. new age, choral sounds
12. "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps", Spanish guitar
13. New age-y, slow, quiet
14. Itchy – Leo Kottke – Standing In My Shoes
15. Winged Processional - Mesa Music Consort - Spirit Feathers
16. End Titles Part II - Patrick Doyle – Shipwrecked

This has been quite a tricky one to identify as the tracks have little to nothing in common as far as style or genre, and so far no two tracks share the same artist or album. Seems like a lot of thought went into this one (or very little). Getting a clear reference recording is nearly impossible since the speakers are high up in the ceiling and usually drowned out by chatter. Shazam/SoundHound and the ASCAP database have been my biggest help so far.

Club 33

Playlist Author
And another track identified...

1. 3 Women Walking - Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco
2. Rustic guitar
3. Rustic guitar
6. On the Rooftop / What's a Kiss / Perturbed Pixie - Oliver Wallace - Peter Pan [Edit]
8. Locked In the Tower / Gus and Jaq to the Rescue / Slipper Fittings / Cinderella's Slipper / Finale - Oliver Wallace & Paul J. Smith - Cinderella [Edit]
12. "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps", Spanish guitar

Club 33

Playlist Author
And another!

1. 3 Women Walking - Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco
2. Cielito Lindo - Paco de Lucía & Ramón Algeciras - Hispanoamerica
3. Rustic guitar
12. Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - ? (spanish guitar)

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Any chance of a short clip of track 9?
Just on the off chance it's on one of the CDs I bought looking for the Pirate Cove tracks.