Spaceship Earth

I've seen a couple of fan comments stating a movement's underfoot to replace Dame Dench with somebody else. After listening I understand why. Somehow, it's just doesn't hit the spot.

Perhaps the Year of a Million Dreams (take two) will allow some lucky guest to record the narration.

X-S Tech

Since I've known you I've been to WDW 3 times Bill. 2003, 2006, and 2007. Sorry if I can't drop everything and go every month.

Yeah Dame Dench's voice just seems to be lacking something for me too. Perhaps I'm just used to deep voices on Spaceship Earth.

Well, goodness knows I'd rather the opportunity to be the voice of Spaceship Earth for a decade than the Year of a Million Dreams lanyard I received at WDW last month. Truly, if we're going to break the bank let's do it in style. Plus, I do a rather good Jeremy Irons if the weather's right.

Is there a problem with being both a music collector and a pin collector? What if one's pin collection consisted of nothing but pins with musical themes? Not to say, of course, that I'm the one I'm talking about. . .

X-S Tech

As this board clearly demonstrates, music collectors are way cooler than pin collectors.

"Scarecro-o-o-ow, Scarecro-o-ow, the soldiers of the king fear his name..."

X-S Tech

After several listenings to Broughton's SSE Exterior loop, I really really like it. I didn't pay enough attention to it in person, but now that I've heard it a few times, it really has that Early EPCOT Center mix of grandeur and melancholy- or at least that's what I imagine EPCOT of 1982 was like ;)

I've gone back and watched my home video of this SSE (2007) for the first time, and I also like what I can hear of the score, but especially at the top when you're in space and the entry tunnel and Prehistoric man segments. Most of the rest is too hard to hear.

I also got to see O Canada with Martin Short this last trip and while the score still doesn't wow me very much, I really like the entry music, probably because it's more a riff on the song Canada You're a Lifetime Journey, than anything else.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I agree on the O'Canada load music. It's very good. I wish the music was played through the ALD system, like the rest of the score. However, I did manage an audience free recording of the load music that I would be happy to send your way.

Bill said:
Pin collectors announce to the world with each piece of cheap cloisonne "I've given up!"  Limited edition pin collectors just have too much money and bad taste.
I'm a pin collector myself...and you just offended me and other pin collectors out there! Shame on you for being so negative! ;)

Horizons

Playlist Author
Bill....negative? I haven't noticed that before.

So are you offended because you have too much money or that you have bad taste?

Marko

SSE Area music

I was listening to some 2-minute recordings of Spaceship Earth's current area music and some questions came to mind. How long is the full loop and was there ever area music before the 2007 rehab? I don't remember hearing any.

almandot

Re: SSE Area music

My memory's extremely limited when it comes to details at WDW like this and last trip I took they were blasting the beach boys at the park entrance for the Flower & Garden festival but isn't there music played by the entrance ramp and into the queue?

Marko

That's the music I meant. Why on earth are they playing Beach Boys for the Flower and Garden Festival.

Horizons

Playlist Author

One of my recordings for the SSE area music was posted to Rodentsections. The entire loop is less than 3 minutes long, just looped continuous. 

The entrance music changes each year for both the Flower & Garden and Food & Wine to match the theme of each.  For example, Flower & Garden's theme this year was "Fun in the Sun," so Beach Boys music matched this theme. 

Marko

If you visit Limewire there is a different piece called SSE entrance and it isn't the one from Rodentsections.

Thanks for clearing up The Beach Boys for me.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
As far as I know, the current BGM for Spaceship Earth is a little bit over two minutes long and is more or less an edit of the attraction's theme song. Was there any BGM for Spaceship Earth before the refurbishment? Personally I don't remember it having any, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks!