Someone posing as Rick McKee

WishesFan

To all our members:
I was made aware this evening that someone on the board has sent private messages posing as me asking for music. If you have received one of those messages, I'm SO very sorry ? the only messages that come from me would come from my account, (originally, , I still have to log in as rickmckee so that may be my outgoing message name).

It infuriates me (and creeps me out to no end) that someone would pose as me ? I've worked UNBELIEVABLY hard finding and securing my composition job with Disney, and whoever is playing this game of 'posting and asking for music as Rick' could end up costing me my one and only dream job. If anyone has received a strange message from "me" coming from any account other than wishesfan (rickmckee), PLEASE notify me by e-mail. Thank you all very much.
-Rick
thatdisneysound@yahoo.com

WishesFan

I believe I now know who is doing this. Please, PLEASE stop now. I've spoken to my attorney and if this identity theft costs me my job opportunity, know that I will be suing you. You're messing with my one and only dream job... PLEASE stop now.

Horizons

Playlist Author
It is unfortunate that some people resort to tricks like this in order to obtain a piece of audio. I have seen more and more aggressive techniques over the past few months, and, to be honest, it is getting very tiring putting up with this **** (insert profanity here). What happened to the good old days when people would build relationships and be happy with the audio that falls into their hands?

We all have audio that we want and sometimes we know its out there, in someone else's collection. But we don't act like jackasses and pull stunts like this.

Once it is determined who this person is, I hope his (or her) name is publicly made.

almandot

I don't think for a second that you'd lose your job over someone pretending to be you online, that's completely out of your control.

But that's a really low move. While no one's pretended to be me, one or two people in the last month have apparently created pseudonyms and told lies or other random stories to try and get music from my friends and succeeded to an extent.

WishesFan

I'd really like to think that would never have been the case ? but I've seen the contracts and have a taste for the company. I don't know what else this person has done with my name, and all it can take is saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. All I know is that it's my one and only dream job and if I see anything getting in the way of that, I need to be prepaired for the worst. I'm sure you all understand.

kirky99

I don't think for a second that you'd lose your job over someone pretending to be you online, that's completely out of your control.
True, but this is Disney we're talking about. Guilty unless proven innocent (and even then you're still wrong) is the way it works. What a world we live in, these are sound files we're talking about.

tcsnwhite

Rick,
I am so sorry that this identity theft is happening to you. This is completely wrong, and I hope once the person is discovered that trent and whoever else runs the board bans them. You of all people do NOT deserve this. I cannot tell you how good of a friend you have been outside of this board, and I still haven't met you in person. I just can't believe someone is doing this, and putting your dream job in jeopardy...just so wrong! I know how incredibly hard you have worked for it, and you DESERVE it!!!
Please know that you have my support through all this and can call on me anytime you're in need. I'm always an email away.

Yes, as some others have stated...I have noticed a trend of a several new people coming to the board asking for very rare, hard to find audio, especially entertainment...asking to do trades. And as others have said, it has gotten more aggressive...and I sometimes question the integrity and respect some of these folks have simply in the way they ask for such material. You can see it in the tone of their posts and their bartering.
Isn't there a rule that we are not supposed to be asking for material on the boards anyway?
does anyone remember the days when it was about simply sharing each other's love for the music...not about bartering and personal gain?
It's not like it used to be...when folks would simply chit chat, and build friendships without really asking for much in return...just to discuss and celebrate their love of a particular piece of Disney audio.
I know some folks here must know what I am talking about.

Anyway, Rick, you have my support, and I'll email you soon.
Stay strong, and let's find out who this is.

tcsnwhite

Gurgitoy2

Yeah, I have to say it's pretty pathetic what some people go through just to try to get Disney park audio. Is it really worth tricking, lying, and bullying people to get it? In the grand scheme of things, will anybody outside of the fan community care, or understand how low people will go for this stuff? It really is a shame that people are not willing to just share this stuff, but want to use it as some kind of bargaining chip, and will stop at almost nothing to get what they want.

Hopefully, you'll sort this out, Rick, and it will not have any kind of impact on your job with Disney. I would like to think that if they are letting David O'Neal get by without notice, that you just might be ok even if this person does something to jeapordize things.

Rick,

You have taken an excellent precautionary step in thwarting this selfish imposter!

I know how upset you must be with this ordeal.

Kirky99 is incorrect - it is NOT guilty until proven innocent situation. And as far as ?it?s just sound files?, I have to point out that it is more than that, it is the solicitation of intellectual property and is quite serious. It?s a-kin to insider trading.

In Rick?s case however, his integrity will speak for itself. Not only have I heard and admire his work, I have met the young maestro and I will stand by him if such ridiculous allegations are made.

Please rest easy my friend! Do not hesitate to let me know if you need ANYTHING!

Randy Thornton

tcsnwhite

Rick,

You have taken an excellent precautionary step in thwarting this selfish imposter!

I know how upset you must be with this ordeal.

Kirky99 is incorrect - it is NOT guilty until proven innocent situation. And as far as ?it?s just sound files?, I have to point out that it is more than that, it is the solicitation of intellectual property and is quite serious. It?s a-kin to insider trading.

In Rick?s case however, his integrity will speak for itself. Not only have I heard and admire his work, I have met the young maestro and I will stand by him if such ridiculous allegations are made.

Please rest easy my friend! Do not hesitate to let me know if you need ANYTHING!

Randy Thornton

Randy, it's so good to hear from you...and know Rick has your support.

He's the real deal, and though I have never met him, we have a good little online friendship outside the board. Just from that I can tell how sincere, gifted, and smart he is.
He doesn't deserve this, and I hope this poser person stops, and is warned/banned from the board.
And it's true, it's not just sound files- thats a company's copyrighted property, and someone else's intellectual and creative work. While I'm not a musician, I am an artist and have experienced the situation where someone uses/shares and benefits from your work without your permission...basically stealing...it's a nasty feeling.

kirky99

And as far as ?it?s just sound files?, I have to point out that it is more than that, it is the solicitation of intellectual property and is quite serious. It?s a-kin to insider trading.
You are correct, what I'm saying is that it's amazing the lengths that people will go through to get their hands on something as "simple" as something to listen to. There are a ton of "sound files" I would love to get my hands on, but I'm able to function as a normal person if I don't get them. The whole intellectual property part is a different issue, albeit related. I'm speaking of the whacko impersonator point of view.

I know a lot of people who love to make their life more difficult than it needs to be and I just don't understand it.

The Disney comment is my experience with the company however. Of course things could be different depending on where you work, but I would also have the same concerns as Rick if I were in his situation. It's nice to hear that he doesn't need to worry. They tend to not trust their employees as much as they should. Another thing I find hard to understand...

This is preposterous!! No one under any circumstances should do such a thing. Posing as someone other than yourself for your own personal gain is uncivilized, unethical and unlawful. I hope that this person gets found out soon and that the authorities are alerted to his shameful behavior. It is one thing to buy music and seek out others who may help in adding to your collection but to steal another person?s identity to do so is a whole different matter.

Whoever this person is needs to rethink what they are attempting to do. Everyone on this board beware of people randomly PMing you for music. It just might be a new account created by this poser of a Disney Fan! Rick we?re all behind you. Everything is going to be alright. Keep on composing brother.

cschurr

I have no words, I just can't believe someone has so much time on their hands that they'll go this far for someone to listen to. ::)

I hope this blows over, I can't wait to see more of Rick's work!

Hey Rick,

So sorry to hear that somebody has done this to you. Have you contacted Trent (the webmaster here) about the problem? He should have the means to block the IP address of this person and perhaps we can make sure they don't participate elsewhere. I'm more than willing to offer my assistance if needed, too.

-Chris