See, Hear, and Read

superdave913

I posted over at Rodentsections and was directed to this site as being a more appropriate forum.

I've been considering digitizing a bunch of "SEE HEAR READ" records I have from my childhood. These are no longer commercially available as far as I am aware. They did re-release some on cassette tapes, but I'd be shocked if they ever did anything further.

One person has posted a divx with the book synced to the audio. My plan was to distribute a PDF, FLAC and MP3 per book/album to provide more flexibility. I've found a couple people online who have worked on this kind of material, but none were focused on the "SEE HEAR READ" Disney titles.

My questions:

1) Would this be suitable material for MagicMusic?

2) Are people interested in this kind of content?

3) What would be the recommended/preferred/approved way to share with other fans of this material?

4) Is it "OK" to share this material since it is no longer commercially available?

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Hi superdave913, glad you found your way here although I was really just pointing you to a site where someone else has done something similar with their own website and posted details here (hi, makeminemusic)
Magicmusic doesn't host any files or torrents so you'd have to find a hosting site.
Your question 4 is a thorny issue with some.
Disney still holds the copyright (as it does to most things on Rodentsections) to them all so there won't be a definitive answer for you. It's more a personal choice abouts what's acceptable to you and others.
As I have said on the other forum, if you are happy with what they do (ie anything other than commercially available material), there's not that much difference to making a torrent from an out of print park CD and what you intend to do, is there?
I'm sure you'll get a few more replies ;)

Club 33

Playlist Author
Generally speaking, this forum is dedicated to discussion rather than media sharing. In my experience, people have posted links to content available on other sites but media does not typically get directly linked to here (except for short samples used for identifying music tracks).

Copyright infringement is copyright infringement, after all. I would check with the site administrator before posting anything.

DisneyChris

I would love to hear your records. please discuss this with another user on this site, Makeminemusic, who has his own site where he posts out of print Disney record albums called Mountainears.org. I am sure he can help you find a way to post your material. As far as copyright laws, as long as you are not doing anything for profit, Disney tends to look the other way on this type of thing, after all it is free promotion for them. They dont advocate it, but in my experience, they dont disallow it either. The worst thing that could happen, and I doubt it will, is that they could ask you to remove the material. You should not get in any sort of trouble for posting out of print material.

Hi Dave! I echo the remarks made by others in posts above.

As to your questions:

1) Would this be suitable material for MagicMusic? This site as stated in post above is a discussion board.

2) Are people interested in this kind of content? I do believe people have interest in hearing OOP material from Disney's musical past, which is a reason I started posting vinyl recordings from my personal collection of Disney records.

3) What would be the recommended/preferred/approved way to share with other fans of this material? If you want to pursue recording and posting, I would suggest creating your own site to host your recordings. I do not support/allow/provide links downloading music from my site, only listening, and I do not post what I do not personally own on vinyl already.

4) Is it "OK" to share this material since it is no longer commercially available? Again that depends on what you mean by "share". If you are going to post and allow people to download the music, then I would say it is not "OK". If you are going to host for listening pleasure, then I say go for it, realizing that at any time Disney may ask you (or me) to cease as they do have the copyright to this material.

Other options to look at: Live365 - you could start your own radio station of "See Hear Read" records. Start your own streaming broadcast simular to Imaginearing.com

I plan to record and post these records as time permits me, so you may see them on Mountainears.org or the new site I am working on specifically for my records.

Hope this helps you in your decision Dave. and great to see another Disney vinyl enthusiast here on this site!! ;)

superdave913

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have resources for hosting things myself, so that is not an issue. I will probably be implementing something similar to the postings on mountainears.org, without direct downloads... just streaming/listening. The only addition might be a PDF of the book, or some other display method.

makeminemusic - I'd certainly be interested in learning more about your new site! Let me know if you need any help technical or otherwise.

superdave913

OK, well I took a lot of suggestions from people and have put together a site for this material:

mousevinyl.com

I intend to add a new one to the site each week, hopefully more often when time permits. I plan on focusing on the See, Hear, and Read series, doing my best to not duplicate anything makeminemusic may have already put on his site. (Unless I begin to scratch the bottom of my collection... or just really like an album). I wouldn't want to duplicate efforts, or have anyone feel as if I was trying to step on any toes.

Please check it out and enjoy!

OK, well I took a lot of suggestions from people and have put together a site for this material:

mousevinyl.com

I intend to add a new one to the site each week, hopefully more often when time permits. I plan on focusing on the See, Hear, and Read series, doing my best to not duplicate anything makeminemusic may have already put on his site. (Unless I begin to scratch the bottom of my collection... or just really like an album). I wouldn't want to duplicate efforts, or have anyone feel as if I was trying to step on any toes.

Please check it out and enjoy!

Nice site! I like how you have added the record info. It took me a bit to get it playing as the "Audio" section does not have the MP3 player, only the record picture slide. I was able to get to the MP3 page by selecting "Random Audio" on the right side of the website. Might want to adjust that.

Glad to see you doing this. I can concentrate on the LPs, but do not feel hindered to put whatever you enjoy/want on your site of your collection.

superdave913

Nice site! I like how you have added the record info. It took me a bit to get it playing as the "Audio" section does not have the MP3 player, only the record picture slide. I was able to get to the MP3 page by selecting "Random Audio" on the right side of the website. Might want to adjust that.

Thanks for the kind words!

I actually intentionally removed the player from that page, so that people would be able to see the slides. I figure the slides are actually a key part of the experience. On the Audio page, you can actually click on the title (i.e. Walt Disney's...) to take you the page. I see now how it isn't super obvious on how to get there, due to the coloring. I'll see what I can do to make it flow more easily.

If anyone has other feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. I obviously want people to enjoy it and use it!

DisneyChris

The sound quality is fantastic. I could not detect a single scratch in the record. Such a joy to hear it that way. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing more.

superdave913

The sound quality is fantastic. I could not detect a single scratch in the record. Such a joy to hear it that way. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing more.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't promise they will all be that way. Unfortunately this series was made for kids... who didn't always appreciate the delicate nature of the media. It may be hard to find unscratched albums.

superdave913

-By request I have enabled anonymous comments on the site.
-I have started uploading at an accelerated rate, due to apparent interest.
-I wrote a post (front page) about an interesting discovery. I found two records with the same catalog number, which are completely different!? The only similarity is their name and some of the artwork.

superdave913

Wow did I screw up. I never thought to look at my site with IE, as I only use Firefox. A few people had contacted me saying they were having a hard time finding the albums on the site with IE. This should all be cleared up now. I have changed the publishing to DAILY now, and there are already 8 albums on the site.
Thanks for everyones reports/feedback!

rbendtzen

Hi, Dave.

My name is Rob Bendtzen. I am a totally blind person who just loves the Disney See-hear and read series. I think your site is absolutely wonderful.

I have a question on accessing the audio of the different files you post. You see, being totally blind, I use a screenreader that talks to me when navigating the web and anything else on my computer. When I got to a particular file, I had my mother look to see if there was a button to click on that would launch the audio, since I couldn't find any with my screen reader. Sure enough, there was a button. However, my mother had to click on it.

Would it be possible for you to make the Play buttons for each file accessible for me or any other person who uses assistive technology on websites? You could either make them available as links that might have my screen reader say something like: Click here to play. Or you could just make the button more user friendly with my screen reader. For example, you could have my screen reader say: "Play Button."

Please let me know if you can fix this. Thank you very much. Keep up the good work.

Rob Bendtzen

superdave913

I have a question on accessing the audio of the different files you post. You see, being totally blind, I use a screenreader that talks to me when navigating the web and anything else on my computer. When I got to a particular file, I had my mother look to see if there was a button to click on that would launch the audio, since I couldn't find any with my screen reader. Sure enough, there was a button. However, my mother had to click on it.

Would it be possible for you to make the Play buttons for each file accessible for me or any other person who uses assistive technology on websites? You could either make them available as links that might have my screen reader say something like: Click here to play. Or you could just make the button more user friendly with my screen reader. For example, you could have my screen reader say: "Play Button."
Rob,

After doing some research, this appears to be a common problem with Flash players. It appears as if most web/flash player's aren't very accessible for the screen readers. I didn't develop the player, so I don't have the ability to make changes to it. As a fix for now, I have enabled the player to auto-start after loading the page. I normally don't like it when I go to a website and it does this, but I think that a person intends to listen if they have clicked that far.

I'll keep researching other options, but for now you should be able to listen much more easily!
Enjoy!

Dave

Dave,
The site is lookng good, keep it up! :)

I like how you compared 2 different versions of Sleeping Beauty and Robin Hood.

superdave913

I am happy to announce that I now have 50 albums posted to the site!

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and support. I really appreciate the feedback.

Joseph

superdave913, you have a great little site going on. Thanks for sharing these vintage recordings.

Regarding these "See, Hear, and Read" records: in the book "Mouse Tracks" the authors claim that the second Disneyland story reader, Lois Lane, did not redo any of the recordings that Robie Lester had done. I just finished listening to "Black Beauty" (318) and although the label says that the reader is Robie Lester, it is actually read by Lois Lane. So it seems that at least some(or maybe just one) of Robie Lester's original titles were redone by Lois Lane.
The book also surmises that Lois Lane may have been the original reader on all the British versions, so perhaps they simply used her original British recordings of certain titles. On the Black Beauty record she says "This is a Walt Disney Original Little Long Playing record, and I am your Disneyland story reader..." whereas the text in the book says "This is a Disneyland Original Little Long Playing record, and I am your story reader..." so it seems that Lois Lane's version is an original British version. I think it's strange that the record company chose not to use updated labels and give credit to Lois Lane. A financial decision I'm sure.

superdave913

I'm glad you are enjoying the recordings. I have certainly been learning a lot about these old recordings, and have found it surprisingly interesting. I do not have the "Mouse Tracks" book yet, but it is on the top of my wish list at Amazon. Next time we do a batch order at Amazon, it will be one of the items we get.

If you, or anyone else, have requests for specific albums to be added, please let me know. I have most of the See, Hear, and Read records these days, and can probably get them online faster if I know people want a special one.

Joseph

If you happen to have "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" I would love to hear that again. I had it when I was a child and it was one of my favorites. I haven't heard it in years.