Sassagoula Water Taxi BGM

CPNHOOK15

Hey everyone! Been awhile since I've been around, but good to be back.

I got married last May and the wife and I went on our honeymoon to, where else, Walt Disney World. One of my wife's favorite things was the music that was played on the Sassagoula Water Taxis (we stayed at Port Orleans - French Quarter and loved it!). For our upcoming anniversary I'd like to try and get her a cd of as much of that music that is available... but I can't find information about the playlist or songs anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Horizons

Playlist Author
I've not listened to the music on the Water Taxi, but if it's the same as what's playing all around Port Orleans, you can find the playlist [entry=104]here[/entry].

We stay at the Port Orleans Riverside every time we go to WDW. My husband loves to ride the boat to Downtown Disney. I asked one of the captains about the music on our last trip in April 2009. He said that it is run by GPS and the music changes depending on the boat's location. Sometimes they play the stuff that is similair to the BGM loops at the resort. Sometimes they play stuff like they play in the BGM loops in Downtown Disney, depending on where the boat is located at the time. I don't think the music matches the resort loops though. Please correct me if I am wrong about that. If it doesn't match the loops at the resort, I would love that list of songs too. My husband thinks that ride is one of the most relaxing things to do at WDW.

CPNHOOK15

Horizons - Thanks for the info on the Area Music. I could be wrong (it was almost a year ago) but those songs didn't sound familiar. Plus, I'm not quite sure how I could ask my wife if she remembers without alerting her to my 'surprise' gift. HOWEVER, those two cd's you listed are fantastic! I downloaded the Lionel Hampton cd from iTunes and have ordered the Preservation Hall Jazz Band cd from Amazon. Thank you so much for sharing those with me. :rolleyes:

Jay - If you are able to go visit (must be nice... sigh) any info you can bring back would be greatly appreciated.

Angiehashemi - We stayed in the French Quarter for 10 days... and I can't tell you how many nights we spent thoroughly enjoying the Water Taxis. It sounds crazy right? We went to WDW and one of our favorite things is riding the water Taxi! Lol Good to know that we aren't alone in that feeling.

Horizons

Playlist Author
He said that it is run by GPS and the music changes depending on the boat's location. Sometimes they play the stuff that is similair to the BGM loops at the resort. Sometimes they play stuff like they play in the BGM loops in Downtown Disney, depending on where the boat is located at the time.
So Jay really does need to spend a few hours on the boat. :rolleyes:

HOWEVER, those two cd's you listed are fantastic! I downloaded the Lionel Hampton cd from iTunes and have ordered the Preservation Hall Jazz Band cd from Amazon. Thank you so much for sharing those with me. :D
I really enjoyed the Preservation Hall CD. In fact, I'm planning on picking up a few more of their CDs.

Horizons

Playlist Author
The same boat picks up at Riverside and French Quarter, right? Maybe I'll start at Riverside. I'll head over there later today.
You might want to bring an umbrella, although it might be cool riding the water taxi in a severe storm.

While you're walking around, see if you notice any new music playing. This will save me an upcoming visit. :rolleyes:

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis
Pumped a lot of tane down in New Orleans
But I never saw the good side of a city
'Til I hitched a ride on the riverboat queen

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud Mary keep on burnin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river

I'm rollin', rollin' on the river! :rolleyes:

5:28 PM

Now playing:

Silence Is Golden
By Alvin and The Librarians
On Magnolia Blossom

6:44 PM

Now playing:

101 Things You Never Knew About Disney's Canals
By Donna and Her Fact Checkers
On Bayou Princess

Wow! What a bust that was! :D

2 drivers + 2 boats + 2 hours = 0 learned.

Alvin/Magnolia Blossom had no background music at all. Donna/Bayou Princess had about 10 seconds worth of background music — 5 seconds before leaving Downtown Disney and 5 seconds upon docking at Riverside — but the volume level was so low that you couldn't make out a thing. Why only 10 seconds? Because Donna had a whole lot she wanted to say!

I'm not sure what you heard, @CPNHOOK15, but it sure couldn't have been while you were traveling with Alvin or Donna.

I may try again on another day...

Horizons

Playlist Author
That's disappointing. I've been on a few buses with the same issue, which is one reason I was never inclined to figure out playlists for the transportation loops, even over at Fort Wilderness (I love that bluegrass!)

Jay - You may want to try going later at night. The captains seem to do less talking in general at night. Sometimes you can get a less talkative one in the day and you may hear more of the music instead. This may be a pretty hit and miss thing. I remember hearing a lot more of the music when we were heading back to POR form Downtown later at night. I think the last boat usually leaves around 11:00 or 11:30 PM. We were close to that time or on the last boat of the night a couple of times. I think the captains are ready to go home and don't care much about talking anymore at that point. Good Luck!!!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
You may want to try going later at night. The captains seem to do less talking in general at night.
This is already planned as my next line of attack. If Donna wants to keep yapping at 11:00 pm, I'll tell her that it's late, people are half asleep, and that she needs to shut the heck up! :rolleyes:

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Day Night Two:

Starting at Riverside.

Silence is still golden with Alvin. :rolleyes:

I will wait for a different boat when I get to the French Quarter.

9:52 PM to 11:53 PM

Moderate success.

Even late at night, the only times you can really hear any music are when the boats are standing still (e.g., docked, waiting for another boat to pass), or while moving slowly (e.g., passing under a bridge).

News at 11:00.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Disney's Port Orleans Resort
Sassagoula Water Taxi Background Music

Port Orleans Riverside / French Quarter Area:

51M06XNRgBL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Saturday Night Function
Monty Sunshine Jazz Band
The Sunshine of Your Blues
 CD 

51JX9Q23MFL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Dew Drop
Etta Baker
One-Dime Blues
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

51JTK19F6ZL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Please Baby
Reverend Gary Davis
The Guitar and Banjo of Reverend Gary Davis
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

41ZJ7SN24HL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Louis Armstrong
Disney Songs the Satchmo Way
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

51OUalE23dL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Canal Street Blues
Henry Red Allen
Quadromania: Henry Red Allen [Box Set]
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

51JX9Q23MFL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Going Down the Road Feeling Bad
Etta Baker
One-Dime Blues
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

Treehouse Villas / Saratoga Springs Area:

21QG3SRR9KL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Autumn Forever
Gabriel Yared
Autumn in New York [Soundtrack]
 CD 

41RDTMZ0XYL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Forever (And Always)
Gabriel Yared
The Next Best Thing: Music from the Motion Picture [Soundtrack]
 CD 

412Q6KMEKCL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Long Gone Lonesome Blues
Sheryl Crow
Sweet Home Alabama [Soundtrack]
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

412Q6KMEKCL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Now That I Know
Shannon McNally
Sweet Home Alabama [Soundtrack]
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

[Unknown Jazz]

61Ug9M2Q6kL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree
Claude Hopkins
The Transcription Performances 1935
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

Downtown Disney Area:

516DAF4PRmL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
He Could Be the One
Hannah Montana
Hannah Montana 3
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

41niEiuK%2B0L._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Do You Remember
Jay Sean
All or Nothing
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

51yXb2AvXtL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Replay
Iyaz
Replay
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

51SVJBSxzTL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Party in the U.S.A.
Miley Cyrus
The Time of Our Lives
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

514n1x4MI8L._SL500_AA80_.jpg
A Nice Place
Don't Ask Us
Wonder Boy Goes to Cloud Nine
 CD   iTunes 

51VWXiC-iQL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Trainwreck
Demi Lovato
Don't Forget
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

41pflKJE9qL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
I'm Yours
Jason Mraz
We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

Notes: This is what I know so far (based on eight 30-minute trips). Not inclusive. Order is still being determined.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I downloaded the Lionel Hampton cd from iTunes and have ordered the Preservation Hall Jazz Band cd from Amazon.
Please show your support for Magic Music by following the Amazon/iTunes links posted in playlists when making a purchase. Remember that an awful lot of work goes into these things. :rolleyes:

Horizons

Playlist Author
I've added three new finds from last night. The most notable is Please Baby by Reverend Gary Davis.
You've got to go back each night for at least the next three weeks to get a definitive list. Good luck! :rolleyes:

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
You've got to go back each night for at least the next three weeks to get a definitive list. Good luck! :rolleyes:
It won't take that many trips. I hear mostly the same tracks on each trip, so the loop for each area has to be pretty short. I doubt that we can come up with a definitive list for the Downtown Disney area, though, as I'm guessing it gets updated on a regular basis. As for the Port Orleans portion of the trip — the music that people are actually interested in — the loop was probably put together once and then quickly forgotten about.