Rapunzel Unbraided

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to the Disney music discussion but I am not new to disney music. I've been in love with it since I was born. I just wanted to discuss the new disney movie in the works. I think it might be a possible strive by disney to come back to their roots of musical cartoons. Maybe this time it won't be a flop.

I was informed recently that Kristen Chenoweth who played Glinda the Good witch in Wicked on Broadway is going to be the part of Rapunzel. That is going to make for some good singing. The music is written by Jeanine Tesori who also wrote the songs for Mulan II and the musical Caroline or Change. I don't know much about her. I was kinda bummed when I found out it wasn't Menken.

Do you guys know anything else about the production of it? I'm guessing it's going to be in 3-D animation and not the classic "best" in my opinion 2-D.

Well at least it's going back to disney's fairy tale roots.

WishesFan

I can't wait for this movie!!! I LOVE Kristen! I'm SO privileged to be studying voice with her former voice teacher here at OCU. Kristen is coming here in November to give a concert and I really hope she tells us more about this movie! I'll let you know if she says anything about the music.

Have a great day,
-Rick

PS: MenkenMcKeeFan- would your first name happen to be KYLER!? :) Glad to see you here!!!

Sick to death of storybook endings where true love conquers all, a frustrated witch brings two romantically-challenged teenagers from the real world into the classic fairytale, and transforms them into the legendary long-haired heroine and her gallant prince.
Kristin Chenoweth just recorded the first Tesori-Alexa Jung ditty, "What Would I Be Like?"
another version of this story was reported as the following:
she's providing the speaking and singing voice of Rapunzel in Disney's upcoming animated movie Rapunzel Unbraided. "I am Rapunzel, but Rapunzel is a squirrel," Chenoweth said in an interview. "I can't really tell you much more [about the story] than that, other than I'm a squirrel and I'm going to let down my tail."
In another report :
Wednesday 14th July 2004: Rapunzel Unbraided Update:
Walt Disney are to rework the Rapunzel fairy tale as a CG movie with Reese Witherspoon and Kristin Chenoweth in talks to voice roles. Sarah Parriott and Josie McGibbon pen the script
which ever way they decide to tell this story as always with Disney I am sure this twisting tale of an undecided movie experience will end happily ever after!

tcsnwhite

I believe this film was planned to be CGI from the start.

Concept art and design work is still traditional (paintings and drawings) for CGI films.

Scott

And of course, who's to say they couldn't end up with a film that may be CG, but could still have the look of a traditional painting/hand-drawn animated film/something else entirely? The computer's just a tool, not a "style".

tcsnwhite

I have seen a few still shots from this film, and visually it looks to be one of the most beautiful CGI films ever created. The style and feel are pure disney. Almost like a moving painting in some of the scenes.

X-S Tech

I agree that the computer is a tool, but it's also become a style of it's own. You can't deny that the majority of the films pixar has done have a style that unites them, though some like Monsters and Incredibles have additional styles unique to their films specifically. But I think these secondary styles are just that, very secondary and there's a good chance that the majority of the moviegoing public doesn't pick it up. If you asked people in the theater to tell you about the style of Incredibles how many of would mention that Bob and Helen Parr lived in a cool modern 60's home? Most of them would say "They do the shading and the coloring so much better on the Pixar films".

And much of the preproduction and concept stuff is done digitally now. Not all of it, but a lot.

I like the shots I've seen of Rapunzel except when they show her face and it still looks like a plastic doll. More Pixar quality than those Barbie movies but still a plastic doll.

Scott

Most of them would say "They do the shading and the coloring so much better on the Pixar films".
No they wouldn't. Most of them would say "Wow, that's cool!". They wouldn't know shading or coloring if it hit them in the face. :)

I don't deny that the Pixar films have a style all their own. But that's not a "CGI style"...that's a "Pixar style". Another house, like PDI or Sony or whomever, would have a style of its own as well, different from Pixar.

Let's even take a step back at 2D animation--take, say, Disney, Warner, and Ghibli. All three of them used the same pencils and paper. But each of those studios had its own style, distinct from the others.

That's what I meant. Just because people are using a certain tool, it doesn't necessarily mean that a particular look has to follow.