Questions on OA Tracks and Other Tidbits

Horizons

Playlist Author
I have questions on a few of the tracks that were released on the OA's over the past several years. I was hoping someone may know the answers to these questions:

- Where in the attraction is The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Theme used? I originally thought this music was used at the exit, but after listening to the exit music this morning, there is clearly music used in the exit loop that is not included on the OA release. [This means there is even more ToT music to try and track down than I originally thought. :itunes:)

- Where is/was the Hooray for Hollywood song used? It's an upbeat jazz/dixie version which is not the exit/unload music that is currently being used.

- Was there official confirmation from Randy (or someone else) that the Welcome to Tomorrowland track was unreleased music from the same recording sessions the current loop was taken from? If not, where did it come from?

- I haven't confirmed this yet, but I think the Star Tours track, at least starting at ~0:32, is the underscore to the ride film. Is the music from 0:00 - 0:32 also used in the attraction? It doesn't sound familiar to me, but I am just starting to make reference recordings from the attraction.

A few other observations from a visit to two parks today. First, there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Food & Wine BGM, which normally replaces the Main Entrance BGM, over at EPCOT. Perhaps someone forgot to turn it on, or there isn't one this year.

A few of the gift shops on Sunset Boulevard have dedicated loops different than the normal Sunset Boulevard BGM. Has anyone (Jay, this means you) done any work on figuring out the playlists for these loops?

Finally, while not related to music, I finally met Almandot in person today. A very nice guy with lots of interesting information. I'm sure he was tired of me asking so many questions. :amazon:

almandot

Isn't Hooray for Hollywood listed as Hollywood Blvd BGM music on the Four Parks cd? It's listed as being from Hollywood Pictures Backlot on DL's cd, though I can't ever remember hearing it there. That BGM is usually movie scores and has changed several times.

Randy did confirm that Welcome to Tomorrowland was an unused track, unused because it sounded too much like the beginning or end to something rather than a continuously playing, ominous bgm. I have no idea what particular recording session it would have come from though.

As for Star Tours 0:00-0:32, are you listening to WDW's four parks cd or a different one? That part is different on WDW's cd from DL's cd. On WDW's it's the score to the ad in the queue for visiting Endor(the place with the ewok village aka what's outside the attraction). For DL it's the score to the ad in the queue for visiting Tattoine. (Very resort-specific of Randy, except for the part where he accidently included the porcupine singing "He's looking for a little more adventure" to Captain Rex instead of C3PO singing Copacabana like he's supposed to in DL's)

Marko

Is the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror theme the Richard Bellis track you are talking about? (running about 1 1/2 minute in length)

If so, I believe the track is a combination of themes from the attraction itself. Notably, the 5th dimension and drop shaft music are a part of the "suite". The twilight zone theme is incorporated into the beginning and end of the track.

Funny on the Tomorrowland track, but I can see why they didn't use it.

Club 33

Playlist Author
- Where in the attraction is The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Theme used? I originally thought this music was used at the exit, but after listening to the exit music this morning, there is clearly music used in the exit loop that is not included on the OA release. [This means there is even more ToT music to try and track down than I originally thought. :amazon:)
It's the underscore from the ride, especially the drop shaft section.

- I haven't confirmed this yet, but I think the Star Tours track, at least starting at ~0:32, is the underscore to the ride film. Is the music from 0:00 - 0:32 also used in the attraction? It doesn't sound familiar to me, but I am just starting to make reference recordings from the attraction.
It's absolutely the underscore to the ride film. That's why there's the Rex dialog at the beginning and end. What did you think it was? And as has been said the piece of music at the beginning is from the queue "advertisements".

(Very resort-specific of Randy, except for the part where he accidently included the porcupine singing "He's looking for a little more adventure" to Captain Rex instead of C3PO singing Copacabana like he's supposed to in DL's)
Whaaa?

Horizons

Playlist Author
What did you think it was?
One project I am getting ready to start is to determine if there are any differences between the WDW and DL versions of Star Tours. So my comment is based on the fact that I haven't confirmed the films (and hence, the score) are the same in both locations. If you've already done this, that saves me some time.

Club 33

Playlist Author
One project I am getting ready to start is to determine if there are any differences between the WDW and DL versions of Star Tours. So my comment is based on the fact that I haven't confirmed the films (and hence, the score) are the same in both locations. If you've already done this, that saves me some time.
Touche! Fair point. I see now what you're getting at. I've synced up the score music from the Disneyland OA to the Disneyland ride but I've never tried the WDW one (in fact, as I've said, I've never ridden it). I wouldn't think that there would be any differences...but you've got me curious now. Hmmmm. I do plan on recording binaural ridethroughs of both in the next few months when I visit them.

This also makes me curious as to whether the Star Tours audio that's out there is from the DL version or the WDW version. I don't think there are any substantive differences (if there are I'd imagine they would be in the queue) but it certainly makes me wonder.

almandot

where would any of the differences be? All I can imagine is WDW has the sound effects outside from the ewok village ATAT thing and DL has exit music... As for the queue and ride... those seem like direct transports. The only difference is in the audio setup. It's not like there was any park-specific stuff in DL's they needed to change... But if you want to go verify it to make sure have fun =P

The droid room at wdw seems like they went out of their way to make sure that the 2 talking droids seem quieter and in the least convenient spot to hear what they're talking about. DL dropped its droid music volume substantially for a while but I think it's back up.. yet I still think the droids are much more audible. And on the ride itself the audio seems all the same except the score music felt a lot quieter at WDW, though I guess that can depend on where you're sitting too.

Can anyone(Jay) confirm what I heard between Hooray For Hollywood on DL and WDW's OAs? Play it on some speakers or put on some headphones and turn it up a bunch.. The DL drum strikes are crisper.

gmeader

Touche! Fair point. I see now what you're getting at. I've synced up the score music from the Disneyland OA to the Disneyland ride but I've never tried the WDW one (in fact, as I've said, I've never ridden it). I wouldn't think that there would be any differences...but you've got me curious now. Hmmmm. I do plan on recording binaural ridethroughs of both in the next few months when I visit them.

This also makes me curious as to whether the Star Tours audio that's out there is from the DL version or the WDW version. I don't think there are any substantive differences (if there are I'd imagine they would be in the queue) but it certainly makes me wonder.
I can say with 99.9% accuracy that both ride sound tracks are identical. I leave a .01% margin of error because Star Tours was not one of my projects. In general a show as expensive to produce as Star Tours will not have any changes done to the main show when being used at another location. Disney is very good at economizing its attractions and so the Florida Star Tours is considered a "lift" from DL. The most likely differences are going to occur in the pre-show and the area development BGM music. I do know that the motion control program between the two shows is (or at least it was at one time) different even though it's the same film.

As far as getting a bi-naural recording of Star Tours I would do it quickly as it was announced at D23 that their will be a new Star Tours starting around 2011.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I can say with 99.9% accuracy that both ride sound tracks are identical. I leave a .01% margin of error because Star Tours was not one of my projects.
I need 100% confirmation. :lol:

The most likely differences are going to occur in the pre-show and the area development BGM music. I do know that the motion control program between the two shows is (or at least it was at one time) different even though it's the same film.
I think the following "loops" are used in the attraction (at least these are what I plan on checking out):

Exterior Loop: I'm not sure who's in charge of the volume control, but they really need to turn this up. I haven't been able to really hear this loop (and recording it is tricky) since early 2007.

EWOK Loop: I believe this is only turned on in the evening. When, however, I'm not sure.

Queue: I think there are three separate loops used in the queue. The third loop, which is used immediately prior to entering the boarding area, includes dialog (I think) and SFX from a droid and a few mechanical birds. I don't recall this audio being included in the Star Wars audio that is in circulation.

Pre-show/Main Show: A pre-show video plays immediately prior to loading. I seem to recall load/unload music being played in the vehicle, but I'll have to check my recordings to be sure.

Exit Hall Music: I'm pretty sure this is the same as DL based on a comparison I did a few years ago.

Tatooine Traders: From what I can tell, the gift shop loop is rather short and different than the exterior loop.

Jedi Training Academy: There is a loop that (sometimes) plays between shows. I have no idea how this compares to the normal exterior loop.

If anyone has done any of this work already, let me know.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Isn't Hooray for Hollywood listed as Hollywood Blvd BGM music on the Four Parks cd? It's listed as being from Hollywood Pictures Backlot on DL's cd, though I can't ever remember hearing it there.
Yes, but this song, to my knowledge, has never been used in the exterior music that plays on Hollywood Boulevard. However, because The Great Movie Ride is also on Hollywood Boulevard, I had just assumed it was used in the attraction. But I haven't been able to determine where (or if) it was actually used.

almandot

Re: Queue - all the queue music is in circulation. in the droid room you have the droid room theme playing and then the repair droid and flight planner droid talking, plus sound effects/PA announcements overhead. i dunno if wdw has that wall with sparks lighting up with sfx behind it..

gmeader

I can say with 99.9% accuracy that both ride sound tracks are identical. I leave a .01% margin of error because Star Tours was not one of my projects.
I need 100% confirmation. :lol:
OK...100%..but just this once

Exterior Loop: I'm not sure who's in charge of the volume control, but they really need to turn this up. I haven't been able to really hear this loop (and recording it is tricky) since early 2007.
In theory WDI is in charge, in reality it's the maintenance department. WDI will normally do Show Quality Checks on a regular basis and issue written reports regarding the status of each show and related areas. Every piece of audio heard in the park has a documented SPL level that is supposed to be maintained but the realities of day to day park operations make this virtually impossible over the long haul. However if enough guests complain it will change.

EWOK Loop: I believe this is only turned on in the evening. When, however, I'm not sure.
You are correct sir. Dusk is the official time frame which means when the park closes early that track is never heard.

WDI will normally do Show Quality Checks on a regular basis and issue written reports regarding the status of each show and related areas.
For the first 10 months I worked at the Tower of Terror WDI only came through once. Maybe every 2 or 3 months, a designated cast member (with high senior status) would go through the entire attraction and do a show quality check and then report it to WDI. This was for the Sunset Boulevard area, but they might do things differently around Echo Lake.

So the point is it might do just as good to bring up any show quality concerns to a cast member, as they fill out checklists on a daily basis.

gmeader

WDI will normally do Show Quality Checks on a regular basis and issue written reports regarding the status of each show and related areas.
For the first 10 months I worked at the Tower of Terror WDI only came through once. Maybe every 2 or 3 months, a designated cast member (with high senior status) would go through the entire attraction and do a show quality check and then report it to WDI. This was for the Sunset Boulevard area, but they might do things differently around Echo Lake.

So the point is it might do just as good to bring up any show quality concerns to a cast member, as they fill out checklists on a daily basis.
I understand. WDI is subject to the same fiscal restraint as the rest of the company and so SQS trips are unfortunately given a low priority. And yes you are correct, guest complaints to operations is the quickest way to get something fixed. We (WDI) were issued a confidential report monthly regarding guest complaints. If there were multiple complaints about an audio problem it would be fixed immediately. The squeaky wheel does get oiled.