question of nomenclature

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
I know this is ulitmately a matter of opinion / personal preference, but how do participants in this community distinguish between "BGM" (background music) and "Area Music"?

Do people make a distinction between the two labels, i.e. do BGM and Area Music mean different things? If so, how does this contribute to how you identify, label, and categorize your theme park music?

Just curious but very much appreciate your opinions.

wedroy1923

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Good Question.
I must be honest and say I lump the two together but I suppose that BGM is from the shops etc and the area is from the general outdoor part?
Certainly, in DLRP (my main haunt) thee Frontierland area loop is all commercially available stuff from the westerns (I have just finished making my own compilation for personal use from all the stuff I already have on various CDs although not exact) but the shops etc have music playing in the background as do the restaurants.
I'll watch the replies with interest.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I prefer "Area Music," myself.

I agree that "Area" is more appropriate for the outdoor stuff, but depending on what kind of indoor area [emphasis added] you're talking about, I would have no problem using the term for that, too.

almandot

Area music is BGM but I wouldn't call all BGM Area music.

Parade underliner is one example I would call BGM but not Area Music.

On more of a personal opinion, I think it has to span an actual area. I wouldn't call the BGM for haunted mansion(disneyland)'s fastpass queue area music. But when that same music is played outside of the Mansion itself during Haunted Mansion Holiday I actually would call it both BGM and Area Music. Likewise queue music such as waiting in line for Peter Pan doesn't fit as area music to me, only as BGM. The music for that area is the Fantasyland organ.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
I use "Area Music" for basically everything. I can see almandot's point with BGM, where I'd have to agree with him, but I typically don't like to label things "BGM".

X-S Tech

I'm inconsistent with my own labeling. I've even found myself labeling things "Area BGM Loop". Usually I find it more important to distinguish between Interior and Exterior when labeling as this is often where it can get confusing.

BLM07

I use "area music" when it is for a area or restaurant and "queue music" for queue music. For entrance I'll use "Entrance Music." I never use BGM and I never use "loop" cause everything loops.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I never use BGM and I never use "loop" cause everything loops.

Yes, it is all background music, and it all repeats, so "BGM" and "Loop" are superfluous. Like you, I tend to end up with titles like "Adventureland Area Music" and "Enchanted Tiki Room Entrance Music."

All we have to do now is organize the ritual!

As luck would have it, I actually have a goat!

DPMWJ Ritual 2006.jpg

Randy

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
post-20-1215128760.jpg
Gosh, all you boys sure look tan! :angry:

I always try to remember to wear sunblock when hitting the Disney Parks℗. :D

Randy, is that you trying to hide in back? :(

BLM07

Strangely enough, the SpectroMagic Parade underliner (the same one that's gone around for years), I have named "10 Minute Announcement & Parade Backround Music." I guess I've never thought of naming it something else.

almandot

I'd label it underliner too but i'd also agree it was BGM if you asked. But I wouldn't say it's Area Music.

Do we need any particular BGM playing during the DPMWJ ritual to make it official?

I'm in the same boat as Almandot and X-S Tech (I, too, have some ugly 'Area BGM' listings in my collection) but area music is the uber-tag I use for ID3 listings in terms of genre so I suppose that wins.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I'd label it underliner too but i'd also agree it was BGM if you asked.
I would label it "Parade Underliner," as I already mentioned, but I would not really agree that it is "BGM" or "Area Music." As this music is played only during the parade, I don't consider it to be background music in the normal sense. Background music is what I hear when I walk by some location at any time of the day, not when I happen by during a parade. Technically, yes, the underliner is meant to be heard in the background, but I'm just not going to lump it in with what I consider to be normal background music.

area music is the uber-tag I use for ID3 listings in terms of genre
For genre, I use "Disney Parks." I used "Theme Park Music" for a while, but then I realized that I wasn't all that interested in collecting stuff from Universal Studios or Knott's Berry Farm, just the "Disney Parks." I also saw no point in retaining the word "Music," since, obviously, all of my music genres are, in fact, music. Of course, if I were into rap, that statement would not be true. :angry: