Question: How is a recording made using the induction method?

I read a recent post on this forum referring to an audio file that was recorded using "the induction method." Can anyone explain what exactly this is?

Also, are there any common audio files floating around that have been recorded using this method? I'm curious to know what type of sound quality you should expect.

Thanks for any help!

Alex K

I assume this refers to using one of those small spools of wire wound on an iron core, equipped with a small suction cup that was designed to pick up phone conversations by placing it behind the earpiece or by the base of an old-style phone. Used to be available at Radio Shack. Doesn't work at all with new phones unless the phone is marked "hearing aid compatible".

Problem is, it has to be brought fairly close to the source (the windings of the speaker) to pick up any reasonably clean signal. Park speakers probably work off PA-system style 70V signals, so there is probably a matching transformer somewhere in the speaker housing you could pick up a magnetic field from.

By the way, Cosmic Ray's is labeled on the MK map as being equipped with a transmitter for the receivers issued to hearing-impaired guests. Does that mean the Sonny Eclipse songs are being broadcast (clean, pristine) in some form in that restaurant?

sds910

Alex:

You are correct in your assumption.

As to the matter of Sonny Eclipse, I wouldn't worry about getting that material in this manner... it won't be necessary. ;)

Steve

H-m-m-m-m.......are you implying that Sonny's set might be somewhere out there, Steve??? Just about to make a CD-R of my less-than-perfect "homegrown" version from our March trip.......thanks for any info--Mike.

sds910

Michael, Andre...

What I can tell you about Sonny's complete set -- from the digital master -- is that while it may be one of those much sought-after treasures by many collectors, it is not something that is on my very short wantlist. Having said that, I'd advise you to keep your eyes on the usual venues in the days and weeks to come.

S.

CPNHOOK15

Question:
For those newbies of us here... where might some of these "usual venues" be found?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Dont bother with Sonny set your sights elsewhere..Besides you'll be ticking off quite the number of diners doing everything but standing ontop of their veggie burger since there's NO place for crystal clear reception.

Trust me on this.

As far as Sonny's clips go, If you're going to Taunt and with all do respect then I believe credit should be given where it's due Steve.

-D

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Anyone else experiencing a glitch/dropout at about 1:08 into the main show when Sonny says "And the incredible but invisible talent of my backup singers, the Space Angels?" Otherwise, simply fabulous. The only thing better would be uncompressed .WAVs and/or an actual CD release from Disney.

Alex K

;D Many, many thanks! Yes, I hear the glitch too, but no problem. One thing I noticed is that it seems to play a tad faster than realtime on my PC, but once more, no problem. It is probably just distortion of subjective time perception due to the consumption of too many veggie burgers at Cosmic Ray's. Thanks again!!!

BLM07

Anyone else experiencing a glitch/dropout at about 1:08 into the main show when Sonny says "And the incredible but invisible talent of my backup singers, the Space Angels?" Otherwise, simply fabulous. The only thing better would be uncompressed .WAVs and/or an actual CD release from Disney.

I'm guessing the source is tape, it sounds like what a worn tape would sound like, still its pretty good.