Pirates of the Caribbean video game details inside

Bethesda Softworks announced today that it will be publishing Pirates of the Caribbean, a game based on the upcoming film of the same name. Players will take the role of a 17th-century seadweller and choose to become a merchant, a mercenary, or a pirate. Additional crewmembers and larger ships can be purchased as players earn experience and money. Also, weather effects will play a significant role in the ship's control and overall atmosphere of the game.

"The appeal of Pirates of the Caribbean is timeless," said Sanjeev Lamba, vice president of marketing and international at Disney Interactive. "The franchise will now have the opportunity to transcend many entertainment mediums and genres. Bethesda's reputation and expertise in creating compelling RPGs will make Pirates of the Caribbean a role-playing game experience that will reflect the true spirit of the franchise."

The PS2 has not received an official release date for Pirates of the Caribbean, but the version for the PC and Xbox is slated for June. We'll keep you updated with any further information.

credit: psx extreme

Gurgitoy2

I wish they would make a "Pirates of the Caribbean" game based on the attraction. I love the POTC level in "Walt Disney World Quest - Magical Racing Tour" It was pretty close to what you would see at WDW (if you were racing through the attraction in a speed boat)!

I'll have to reserve judgement on this new game until after I've seen the movie. I like Johnny Depp, but I'm not going to set my expectations too high for this one, especially after "The Country Bears". Plus, they added "Curse of the Black Pearl" to the POTC movie to distance it further from the attraction, so...

derekdaze

Magical Racing Tour was fun wasn't it?

Except I never won a race cos I was too busy cruising around and looking at the pirates attraction... ;)

SFMike

This is really a weird on!!! Bethesda Softworks has been working on the the follow-up to their original pirate game "Seadogs" for a couple of years. I was looking forward to this game as it had been announced on PC and the XBOX. It was to come out very soon. Now they announce "Pirates of the Caribbean " and the artwork and game play appears to be exactally the same as those shown for "Seadogs 2." So it would appear that they are just repackaging their almost completed game with the Disney logo. This is a GOOD THING though as Seadogs looks to be a great game which has been in development for a long time and from a fine developer. This will be a much better product than we could expect from Eisner's house of cut rate crap. So this looks to be a fantastic role playing game. Let's just hope that Disney doesn't demand changes to make it lame so as to bring it down to the quality of most of their current output. Want lame check out the new Winnie the Pooh ride at Disneyland.

Dr. Know

Just to keep this, ahem, "on topic"... any word on who scored the video game? Will it use music from the beloved POTC attraction, or from the film score by Silvestri... or something else? Just curious...

Magical racing Tour was so much fun...

that I developed serious motion sickness when I played it on a big screen tv. :-X

To remain on topic....Was there actually much Disney Music on this game? I played it...put it away...and forgot.

BLM07

The magic racing game did have music, but I think most of the tracks are on CD, and I believe some of the music was original for the game.

Gurgitoy2

Yes, Magical Racing Tour was so much fun!

It did have attraction music for most of the tracks too.
Haunted Mansion, and Pirates had the tracks from the old Official Albums. Test Track used the track from the new OA's. Big Thunder Mountain used "Buffalo Gals" from the Forever kiosks. Splash Mountain used the old OA track. Space Mountain used Disneyland's soundtrack for some reason (maybe it just lent itself better, even though WDW's doesn't use it).

The other tracks (courses) were interesting because they used orignial music. I'm not sure if they were from the attractions, or the surrounding areas, but they were neat. Like Blizzar Beach. I liked that track, and course!

Dinosaur was kind of strange, with all the grunts and stuff. Jungle Cruise was alright too, but not anything to write home about (musically speaking, I mean...the course was fun). I liked the Tomorrowland Speedway track, but question where it's used, or if it's original to the game.

Anyway, definitely one of the best Disney games out there, and they made the effort to at least include some of the famous music. Now if only Mickey and the gang were in it...

derekdaze

My major gripe with Magical Racing Tour was after using developer Traveller's Tales on the Bugs Life Game, they weren't brought in for Magical Racing Tour.

Traveller's Tales also produced the fantastic Muppet Racing (another Mario Kart Clone) for Playstation which was (unfortunatley) superior to MRT. So why not snap up this talented team of developers, who have worked with Disney before, for their own kart game?

Anyway, musically speaking some of the original tracks were quite good, but I was dissapointed with the DL Space Mountain Track in there. (espescialy seeing as though if you're gonna pick another park's smace mountain, how about the fantastic De la terre a la Lunne from DLP?!!)

SFMike

As stated above, this game has been in development for a couple of years as "Seadogs 2." I doubt they will use any music from the film as that would entail royalties. I bet they stick with the original developer?s music. Folks this game has NOTHING to do with the Disney attraction. It is a well done pirate role-playing game that is incidentally being marketed as based on the film. I really doubt that they will change it much...which is a good thing. I could be wrong. Maybe they will put "Yo,Ho" over the credits.