OT: Which DVD-R is best for archiving data?

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Hello:

Sorry this is a little off topic, but I assumed the folks around here might be able to help.

Of course, I keep back-ups of my Disney audio files, but I would like to use a better "quality" disc when I go through the process next time of re-archiving what I have.

Do you all have any suggestions on which brands are best?

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

wedroy1923

I've been waiting to see if one of our resident audiophiles, narkspud, was going to respond to this question......but, alas......

In past threads, he's recommended Mitsui CD-R's--which apparently are(were?) used by the Wonderland machines. I've been using their silver audio CD-R's for the past few years now, without a problem--but only time will truly tell......

My slide collection needs digital archiving--I'll definitely be using Mitsui CD-R's or DVD-R's; I'm sure the DVD-R's are of the same high quality, though I haven't had the opportunity to use them as of yet. Here's the link:

http://www.mam-a.com/Default.htm

Mike

Eric

Quality with CD-R's/DVD-R's is hard to measure; most of the time, quality is measured simply by how many discs did not burn versus those that did. That kind of measure is rather worthless when you're trying to figure out which disc is longer lasting. Essentially all discs are processed the same; in fact, some "big name" DVD-R's/CD-R's are the same discs used by the smaller companies, but just repackaged. Your best bet, and safest bet, would be to buy two different brands (one Mitsui and the other Imation, for example) and back up the data on both brands. Additionally, as long as the discs are stored protected in a case in an area that is 70 degrees or less, you should be fine. Anything higher in temperature, and the "recorded" part of the disc will peal off, leaving you with a clear plastic disc making it a worthless DVD-R/Cd-R.

Another point that's been made in the past on this site is to take note what country the CD-R's/DVD-R's are being made in--"Made in Japan" is now the preferable label(alot different from when I was growing up......), as opposed to other overseas countries that also produce the discs.

Mike

P. S. The Mitsui site I previously mentioned also has some nice technical info, aside from being a place to buy CD-R's/DVD-R's.

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Thank you for the information and suggestions. I'll check out Mitsui' website!

wedroy1923

I haven't ever had discs PEEL off and I have discs that are in my car at much higher temperatures than that, and I also don't keep my house at 70 degrees in the summer. And the discs certainly are exposed to higher temps inside DVD players and such. Has anyone actually had discs peel? How much exposure to over 70 degrees is supposed to ruin them?

Eric

I've had many discs that have peeled off. It's definitely not uncommon. What normally happens is once discs are exposed to heat on a regular basis, the film/recordable part tends to ease off the clear plastic disc it's attached to (which is the lower portion of the CD/DVD...the side that gets scratched and read from a CD player) and any friction or movement what-so-ever causes it to gradually peel away little by little (or in some cases, by a huge amount).

I haven't ever had discs PEEL off and I have discs that are in my car at much higher temperatures than that, and I also don't keep my house at 70 degrees in the summer. And the discs certainly are exposed to higher temps inside DVD players and such. Has anyone actually had discs peel? How much exposure to over 70 degrees is supposed to ruin them?

So I'm guessing that the CD WALLETS aren't the best idea to keep your archived CDS and DVDS. Is this flaking true of commercial cds as well? IS there a forum somewhere else where I might get more info? And are certain brands worse than others? I certainly won't buy Maxell!

tcsnwhite

Hey guys,

I have also had CD-Rs peel off. The other person was right, after a while, especially after being in cd wallets or slip sleeves where the cd rubs against a fabric material (rather than being snapped in place like in a cd jewel case), the cds will start to peel.

If you want them to last, your best bet is to go after a more high end cd-r or dvd-r/dvd+r. though, I have also read that basically they are all the same, and you pay the difference in terms of name brand. I have to do more research on that.

Overall, buy a cd-r or dvd-r/dvd+r that you have had good experience with. (I preferably use Sony for DVD+Rs and my CD-Rs are Memorex which is kind of a cheapy brand.
Burn your stuff at the slowest speed and always listen to or review the stuff burned when done to make sure it is all good and clean and whatnot.
Then store them in a jewel case, slims work for me, and store them in a cool place OUT OF THE LIGHT AND SUN. that is key. don't handle them all the time if you don't have to.
And every or so, check them to make sure they still work. every three or so years, you can reburn them if you like.
someone I know who specializes in this stuff told me though that they should last for up to 5 to 10 years if stored properly.

the cds I have that are bought from stores, like official albums (not home burned ones) have last me up to 10 or more years and still work fine.

Thanks for all the info. It depressing to think I'll have to rearchive everything every few years. And I love my large CD notebook sized wallets for storage. Guess I'll have to go back to the slim cases again. But, I still have never has an issue with anything I've burned. And My wallet full of CD thatstays in my car which can get to temps of 100 degrees are still fine and dandy...