OT: The return of traditional animation(already?)--The Triplets of Belleville

I think it was on a Treasure Planet thread, when the demise of traditional animation came up, that X-S Tech, I believe, made the point that eventually someone is going to reintroduce a traditionally animated film, and all the critics will stand up and cheer--well, that seems to be happening already......

I just got to see The Triplets today(much to my surprise, I wasn't anticipating a Maine release)--a wildly alternative film(essentially no dialogue), animated much in the style of 101 Dalmations, to my closest estimation. Musically speaking, to keep somewhat to the forum, the soundtrack is essential for anyone interested in animated film music(Sharon, front and center--this one's worth listening to)--a toe-tapping blend of styles from the 20's to the 60's/70's(jazz/blues based), with even a pinch of Mozart thrown in.

Definitely not a Disney-type release, though, and no o-o-h's and a-a-a-h's over fancy techno tricks, but just a different kind of STORY, and all-in-all, a nice change-of-pace from the same old......interesting what can happen when the road less taken is chosen, and true artistry is set free.....

Hey Mike.....what d'ya think??? The toilet's just barely finished gurgling from flushing all those artists away......

Mike

P. S. Actually, first found out about this film when my son sampled the soundtrack several weeks ago at Borders--it's been a musical staple in the household ever since! Definitely, check it out!

FRAN?OIS

Re:OT: The return of traditional animation(already?)--The Triplets of Bellevill

Nice little film, isn't it?

It had NO chance winning the Oscar with Nemo in competition, of course, but those French artists from the "Old Europe" stick to the 2d tradition!

Some scenes were done in my own hometown, Angoul?me, France, while the bulk of it was done in Montr?al, Canada.

Oh, you may have noticed that there are some 3 d effects thrown in, like for the old car and the chase, and they blend in perfectly!

Jessica L

I really need to see this film. I keep meaning to go see it when I'm home, but I always end up getting sidetracked. I definitely wanted to go this week (while I'm home for spring break), but after getting blown away by The Producers when it was here in Baltimore (and then seeing Aida on Broadway last Wednesday), I need some culture downtime. :) Hopefully it'll still be around in two weeks when I'm home for Easter.

I adored the song they were playing for Best Song nomination at the Oscars, and was really hoping it would win. But of course, it got attacked by the LOTR monster and there was no hope for it.

I'm glad to see that 2d animation is not gone for good. Just a shame we now only have outside sources (read: not Disney) to go on now...

Jessica

SharonKurland

You mean I gotta buy the CD (I've been deliqunt lately...I have NO idea of what I have and what I don't) and (gulp) actually hunker down and LISTEN to it?

I'll try to gather up my courage .

-Sharon-

Jessica--If you adored the song at the Oscars(I taped it--great performance), get the CD today! It's got several different variations of the song.

Sharon--we're behind you--you can do it; it'll be your reward for having purchased some of those Disney Karaoke CD's.....you might even be moved to jump up and sing along with ".....swinging Belleville rendez-vous....." while banging on the spokes of your bicycle(you have to see the movie to get that one).

Mike

SharonKurland

> it'll be your reward for having purchased
> some of those Disney Karaoke CD's

Ahem. ALL of them .

OK...is this CD easily found in stores like, say, Virgin Megastore, or World of Disney, or do I have to order it online?

I gotta actually LISTEN to a new Disney CD. Grumble grumble. Do you know the last time I did that? Me neither.

-Sharon-

MaX

the triplets is a great movie. I love it how they develop the characters so well without dialogue. The humor in the movie is very good and in a subtile way, and not in the "hey look how funny this is" style. The detailed backgrounds look amazing, and have so much atmosphere. That's what this movie is all about... atmosphere. the story is so tiny you could write it down in 10 words, but they take so much time to get the right feeling on the screen... very special!
I'm not sure if this concept will last forever, since it might get boring after 2 or 3 movies, but its great to see a wind of change in the big animated feature productions. Animation is more then just Disney, and with movies like Spirited Away (still gotta see that one) and Triplettes its clear that not only musicals or CGI productions are succesful!

btw, dont forget to spot the hidden (and another not so hidden) Mickey in the Triplets!

Spirited Away is essential, along with its beautiful score by Miyazaki regular, Joe Hisaishi.

......I only caught the one not-so-hidden Mickey!

Sharon, since there don't seem to be any new WDW CD's available as of yet(hopefully they're there when we're down next month!), the Triplets CD is available at Borders or Barnes and Noble, if they're in your area.

Mike

SharonKurland

I saw Spirited Away...couldn't get past the bizarreness of the movie to enjoy the score . Liked Princess Mononoke MUCH more.

Nope, not "Triplets" at WOD...I checked last night. But mroe on that in a different message.

SFMike

Speaking of "Spirited Away", I really liked the animation but had a very hard time getting past the screechy annoying of the young girl in the story. It was like fingernails on the blackboard to me. Any one else feel this way? ???

SharonKurland

For me it was moreso getting past the fact that this character was not Lilo...no matter what she sounded like .

Sorta like when I saw B&TB for the first time and I had to consciously stop myself from thinking Cogsworth would have the personality of Charles Emerson Winchester III .

-Sharon-

Zarpman

Bah! I'm behind on my reading.

I enjoyed Triplets of Belleville back in mid February. I thought the style of the movie was so different and very fun. Definitely not a Disney flick, but who says a movie HAS to be Disney to enjoy it, huh? The CGI was nicely woven into some great traditional animation. I also really loved the over-exaggerated drawings to give character depth (since there was little to no dialogue in the entire film) and that darn song is very catchy.

I agree with the Academy when they say that Finding Nemo was a better film all around, but I thought that if Triplets went up against Brother Bear soleley, that there would be no competition. Shouldn't this make Dsney wonder just a bit? They're practically giving away a business that they started. So much for legacy. :p