OT: The Boy Who Forgot To Grow Up...

Just in case anybody was in too cheery a mood...

Thirty-six years ago today, two children in the Bowery came across the body of a homeless drug addict in a tenement building. As no one could identify the individual, he was buried as a John Doe in a pauper's grave. A year later, due to a chance fingerprint check, it was discovered that the man they had buried was actually Bobby Driscoll.

Driscoll was 31 at the time of his death.

Which only goes to prove that if working under the terms of a boilerplate Disney juvenile contract doesn't kill you right away, eventually New York shall. (Or something like that, anyway.)

(Who stopped to kick all the garbage off of Driscoll's "Walk of Fame" star nearly every day whilst shooting "Where The Day Takes You" on Hollywood Blvd.)

SharonKurland

Good thing Julie Andrews was all grown up when she played Mary Poppin then, huh?

Seriously...wow...I didn't know that about Bobby Driscoll. Well, I knew he had died young and I either knew or assumed it was drug-related, but I didn't know the details.

What a shame.

Anyone, by chance, know what happened to Matthew Garber, other than the fact that he "died in Africa as a teenager?"

-Sharon-

Anyone, by chance, know what happened to Matthew Garber, other than the fact that he "died in Africa as a teenager?"
H:

Hemorrhagic necrotizing pancreatitis dropped Garber at age 21.

The booze, baby... the booze. (And other fun stuff, no doubt.)

Thanks for the sad reminder. I knew about Bobby's fate, though not all your details--surprisingly through Dave Smith's column in the Disney Magazine a few years ago.

Surprising, yes--not always shiney, happy faces in the Magic Kingdom......no Disney spin on this one for a change, just cold reality.

Mike

Garber was born March 25, 1956 and died June 13, 1977 at the Royal Free Hospital (a teaching hospital) in Hampstead, England. The cause of death was hemorrhagic necrotizing pancreatitis. The most common cause of acute pancreatitis is alcohol abuse although wacky stuff such as intestinal parasites or scorpion and snake bites are infrequently cited as factors.

The Daily Express reported on 11/29/77 that Garber had died of "drugs."

Another UK tabloid, the Daily Mirror, appears to be the origin of the Africa/mystery illness story, reporting on 12/22/84 that Garber "contracted a fatal mystery virus while attempting a showbiz comeback on a rock tour of South Africa."

All we know for certain is that Garber died, was cremated and would be disappointed to discover that "The Gnome-Mobile" DVD release utilized a pan and scan transfer.

SharonKurland

Wow. Where DO you get your info from and you STILL haven't fessed up about yourself. Don't think I forgot.

And don't think I won't nag you about it until the day you die .

-Haron-