OT - Minidisc Advice?

SharonKurland

Hey y'all....after taping stuff with the same tape recorder since 1986, I'm ready to upgrade to a minidisc. Yay me . Thanks to some basic help from someone I know, I was able to do some research that helped me to decide, not only what features I wanted, but that there are WAY too many models out there to even know where to start. So, with that, does anyone have any advice, either of where I can do research to figure out what I want, or plain out tell me which models have the following features:

---external microphone jack
---ability to record in LP mode (the things I want to tape usually run approx. 90 minutes; I'd just as soon not have to switch discs 5/6ths into it...I spent 20 years "flipping tapes" )
---included batteries that aren't going to have memory problems without full discharge. I'm willing to use disposable AA batteries to avoid that if necessary, but that'd mean I'd need a machine that uses AA's
---lightweight (some units are 2 lbs???)
---instructions in understandable English
---returnability to the US (I saw that a lot of the Sharp recorders are Japanese models so if there's a problem they have to be returned to Japan)
---No more than $250 to $300

I'm going to ask for one of these for Christmas, so any help would be deeply appreciated. Any advice? Thanks!

-Sharon-

Sharon,
If you are newsgroup capable go to
alt.music.minidisc for advice (you can just research past questions by others).

My Sony can record in mono for 160+ mins in mono.
Its a basic unit I bought at Circuit City, runs on one AA and has served for 5 years.
Get the extended warranty.

Jeff

SharonKurland

Jeff-

The only way I've been able to read the newsgroups for a LONG, long time is to do a search for specific words on Google. I KNOW thre's a better way because I used to be able to read the newsgroups, way back when rec.arts.disney was just one group . But that was one computer and several versions of Windows ago. Any suggestions on how I can get there now?

-Sharon-

PS - Will mail package to you on Friday. Didn't get to the P.O. today, just as I feared I wouldn't.

micca

Sharon I just went through this and finding an MD with a mic input at your neighborhood BB or CC is going to be tough. Everything is geared toward MP3 downloads now. That's not a bad thing, but the mic input is a problem.

SharonKurland

Micca-

Thanks for the advice. I got an e-mail from "Keith" from here and he gave me an URL for a website that has been VERY helpful (http://minidisc.org/). Now that I've done a LOT of reading about a LOT of brands and features, I'm settling down with the idea of a Sharp MD-DR7/470/480, though that's still subject to change . I've learned that trying to get something at a local store is going to be next-to-impossible, so we're going to have to take the chance with a foreign-made item (with adaptors for US voltage) sold on the 'net.

I'm finding it amazing that MD recorders are not particularly popular in the US. I KNOW that people here don't use audio tape recorders anymore...what DO they use???

-Sharon-

micca

Sharon I think most people are just downloading off the web anymore. My guess is there are few applications for live mic recordings. I still use my Sony MZ-R30 from about 5 years ago for mic and line recordings. I love MD and think it's an underrated format. There are some more expensive portable MD's with mic inputs(in the $600 range). Good luck on your search.

SharonKurland

Micca-

Thanks for your advice. I've posted a message with specific "What should I get" questions on http://forums.minidisc.org/ but haven't gotten any replies yet. It COULD be because my message wound up being pretty long (7 questions, with explanations for most so people would know what direction I was going) so if I haven't heard from anyone in another day or two, I'm going to re-write it in a more "digestible" form

BLM07

Well I got a Sony NZ-707 Minidisc (near $200), and for live recordings it doesn't do to well for one of these reasons: the mic I got was cheap, but then people say it might not be the mic, it might be the minidisc not putting out enough voltage for the mic input. It also could be that the volume was too high, but then sometimes you can't even hear things while recording if the volume is too low.

Dan on the Disney newsgroup recorded a whole load of live stuff last year, and all I know is that he uses a Sharp minidisc with (I believe) a $60 mic and his recordings are really nice. He has a website forum, http://www.bbdisney.com/ , so if you get a reply from him somehow, tell me here cuase I'd like to know exactly how he gets his stuff.

And also if you could get a MD for around $200 that can transfer files directly to the computer, then you might wanna get that, it would be nice to transfer recordings without real time recording to the PC.

SharonKurland

BLM-

Thanks for the help! The MDR I'm interested in is the Sharp MD-DR7 (7 in Japan, 470 in Europe, 480 in Singapore), which, from what I've read, is excellent for the type of recording I'd like to do (usually small venue concerts of an a cappella group).

My next step is to look for a microphone, which, I understand, the quality of which is as important as the MDR itself. Right now I'm looking at the Sony ECM-719 Multi-Purpose Mic, unless someone can suggest a better/different one .

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Thanks BLM. I did some more research (even saw an old message of yours on Minidisc T-Board ) and decided that the Sony ECM-MS907 will work best for me...I like the fact that the space it can record can be switched from 90 to 120 degrees. Just doing some double-checking to make sure I don't have to worry about any other hardware (I know I need an adaptor since the DR7 isn't made for the U.S., but if I order it from TeamDigital, they supply one) and then my "wish list" goes to my husband .

-sharon-