OT: DVD Cleaner

X-S Tech

Allright I've been getting really poor audio on my DVD player, extremely staticky. Visual is fine. I've eliminated the wiring as a cause so I figure it's just a manner of cleaning the lens (or whatever you call it). I have a CD lens cleaner and was hoping that that would do the trick though so far it hasn't. Does anyone have much experience with this sort of thing. The DVD Cleaners I've found are like $14-$16, and I just didn't want to go buy one if there is some other solution. Thanks in advance.

narkspud

Allright I've been getting really poor audio on my DVD player, extremely staticky. Visual is fine. I've eliminated the wiring as a cause so I figure it's just a manner of cleaning the lens (or whatever you call it).

I'll bet my donut hole collection that your player is ill. A dirty lens wouldn't mess up the audio while leaving the video totally unscathed.

Same to Bill. Copyguard is a sort of scrambling signal added by the player itself when the disc requests it. There's only one kind, and it can't possibly stop a DVD from playing (unless you're trying to play it through a VCR or projector). Sounds like your player is turning up its nose at dual-layer discs, since the supplemental discs are mostly single-layer.

In both cases, I'd see if there's a firmware update available for your player (from the manufacturer's web site) before throwing in the towel. But it doesn't sound encouraging.

X-S Tech

I'm sure mines pretty low end too (Phillips) though it's been working pretty flawlessly for about 2 years.

Hmmmm....I hate to shell out 15 bucks to test the lens cleaning theory if it's just getting old but I hate to not explore that end of it first.

X-S Tech

So is that pretty much the last word on this topic? Nobody has any experience with DVD lens cleaners? Shouldn't the technology be pretty much the same as a CD lens cleaner? I figured just the info on the disc is different and the laser and lens work the same in either format. Anyone?