OT Disney Live Action DVDs

B

Bill

Just in case anyone else is interested:

I was very disappointed after Disney released a banner number of old live action films and then just stopped. After going through withdrawal, I started to see some unreleased titles pop up on eBay and I just chalked it up to bootlegs. As it turns out, they're not bootlegs, they're genuine DVDs released as "exclusives" through the Disney Movie Club. If you go to their website, you'll find titles like:

Horse Without a Head
Treasure of Matecumbe
Fighting Prince of Donegal
Story of Robin Hood
Rob Roy
Complete Season One of Zorro
A Tiger Walks
Yellowstone Cubs

I don't know if they're still releasing new titles. I hope so...would love to see some of the titles that haven't been on video since the early 80s.

David S.

I too have been disapointed that the new releases of classic Walt-era live action from a few years back have slowed/stopped. I guess some executive can cite "slow sales" but with all the "synergy" Disney is know for, it seems to me that COMPLETELY taking this programming off the Disney channel is a way of lessening demand for it.

"Out of sight, out of mind", not for hard core fans like us, but sadly that's likely true for the general public who are needed to support "mainstream" releases and thus the marginalized status of many of these titles to a movie club that many fans have likely never heard of (I just found out about it myself while surfing http://www.ultimatedisney.com )

About 5 years now since "Vault Disney" was pulled from the airwaves and no sign of a return of any type of classic programming on Disney's channel to keep Walt's "brand" alive in the public consciousness. The occasional screenings of a classic Disney film are more likely to be found these days on the TCM or Hallmark channels than on Disney channel.

How are the new generations of "today" supposed to know these are some great classic live action Disney films that they will want in their DVD collections when they are not being exposed to ANYTHING on the ahem, "Disney" channel except Raven, etc?

My family bought Johnny Tremain recently and I finally put it in to watch last night. But first I had to see the "Making of Johnny Tremain", one of the special extra's on the DVD. It turned out to be a "Disneyland" episode with Walt explaining how they came up with the film. He even talked about Liberty Square (which never happened in DL). What was really cool was that Walt started the show by listening to a record of "Sons of Libery". As the record played in the console record player in Walt's office you could see the extra hole in the record indicating a "cut" studio recording. I recognized the label from a couple of these studio made albums that I have, including one with this very recording of "Sons of Liberty". I thought, wow! I could have this very record, but when Walt cued the record to start talking I realized the song was probably dubbed in, but I can still dream he really was listening to the same record I that I now possess :)

Joseph

Just out of curiosity and since it was brought up, does anyone know why that second hole was put in the label of studio acetates and other studio recordings? I've seen that over the years and always wondered what the purpose was.

Just out of curiosity and since it was brought up, does anyone know why that second hole was put in the label of studio acetates and other studio recordings? I've seen that over the years and always wondered what the purpose was.

Hi Joseph,

The second hole in an acetate record is to hold the record in place while the record grooves are "cut" as it records. You can still find a few blank acetate records occasionally. They have a smooth surface.

Hope that helps explain it. :)

Ken

Joseph

Ken,
Okay, so basically the turntable that the acetate is being cut on has two spindles to ensure that the acetate is held perfectly still as it is being cut? When a regular record's master disc is being cut there is only one spindle involved and it seems to work just fine, so I wonder why the studio cut acetates need that second spindle? Is it because these acetates are not being cut by trained technicians and need special attention? Sorry if my questions are way too technical.

Ken,
Okay, so basically the turntable that the acetate is being cut on has two spindles to ensure that the acetate is held perfectly still as it is being cut? When a regular record's master disc is being cut there is only one spindle involved and it seems to work just fine, so I wonder why the studio cut acetates need that second spindle? Is it because these acetates are not being cut by trained technicians and need special attention? Sorry if my questions are way too technical.

I am not sure how the record companys created their master disc, so I cannot answer that one specifically.

Most often acetate disc were used as personal recording machines as well as players before the days of tape. Packard Bell (I have seen a few of these)was one of the early sellers of these machines to the public on which you could record or "cut" your voice or music onto a disc and play it on the same machine. Walt Disney Studios probably had a simular device or devices to record musical practices, demos, etc and used their own studio label adding title, RPM, and date. The acetate I mentioned above has 2 takes of the "Sons of Liberty" song on the disc.

I am curious, anybody else out there have some of these acetates from the Walt Disney Studio? What is recorded on them?

narkspud

Record companies create their master discs on a more expensive version of the personal machines, and yes, all acetates have at least 2 holes, although the extra may be covered by an added label. Since speed is absolutely crucial, the extra hole and spindle keep the master disc from slipping as it's being cut.

Acetates were used for professional recordings, home recordings, radio shows and commercials, test cuts, advanced copies, demos, or whatever you needed a high-quality recording for, prior to the widespread use of audio tape. They also sold large home units combining the recorders with radios, creating a sort of early version of the VCR, albeit with a capacity of just 3 1/2 minutes per side.

Record cutting machines are still used to this day for making master records. Metal molds are created from the master record, and that's what they use to make the vinyl pressings. That's how they've always made disc records.

You can find ANYTHING on an acetate, from unreleased Beatles records to Aunt Agnes singing "Bringing in the Sheaves" to messages home from soldiers overseas. Among my acetate thrift store finds are a complete recording of the 1957 Ringling Brothers Circus, the original CBS broadcast of Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech with the commentaries that followed it, and a series of Adelaide Stevenson Presidential campaign ads by Rod McKuen.

If you have an acetate, here's what you need to know about it: They're made of a (usually) metal core coated with a soft petroleum-based stuff that the grooves are cut into. Most are nitrate-based and extremely flammable. They scratch easily and wear out very quickly. Older ones (around 1955 and back) play best with special-sized needles that are rather pricey. The acetate coating deteriorates over time and starts either flaking or leeching white powder, so if you have something important on an acetate, get it transferred to something permanent ASAP, and I'm REALLY not kidding about this. Do it NOW, not next month.

Do not ever get them wet, and do not ever use any kind of record cleaner on them. The surface is soft and absorbs liquid. A very soft, dry brush is about all you can safely do for them.

Most of them have metal cores, but during the war years, paper or glass cores were also used. The glass ones are, of course, very fragile, and can be recognized by being unusually thick and somewhat see-through.

Acetates also smell funny.

Nice explanation Narkspud! :)

One of my favorite acetates is a advertising pep talk record sent out to sellers of Peter Pan Peanut Butter with jingles created and used on the Disneyland TV show in the 1950s.

Sorry for getting off topic of the off topic discussion :)
I happened to be in Best Buy the other day and noticed a large selection of the Live Action DVDs there. Good to see Disney release so many from the vault.

One I am really waiting for is Dr.Syn,Alias the Scarecrow I remember watching it on Sunday night's "Wonderful World of Color". Missed it when it came out on beta ???? Love the title music :).

Tannerman

One I am really waiting for is Dr.Syn,Alias the Scarecrow I remember watching it on Sunday night's "Wonderful World of Color". Missed it when it came out on beta ???? Love the title music :).
I was bummed when they pulled this title from the Disney Treasures DVD releases a few years back. Things have been rather silent on this series ever since.

I think it's shameful how indifferently most of Walt Disney's films have been presented and promoted on DVD. And how few have been released in the last three years. There are many solid theatrical/foreign theatrical titles that deserve DVD release and fresh exposure:

Among the fun features still unavailable:

Song of the South
So Dear to My Heart
Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow
The Monkey's Uncle (Annette)
Escapade in Florence (Annette)
The Horsemasters (Annette)
The Incredible Journey
The Sign of Zorro
Zorro the Avenger
The Prince and the Pauper
Sammy, the Way-Out Seal
The Light in the Forest
Kidnapped
The Story of Robin Hood
The Sword and the Rose
The Fighting Prince of Donegal

And how about comprehensive collections of

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color
Disneyland
Walt Disney Presents
The Mickey Mouse Club
Zorro
The Mouse Factory

It's shameful.

David S.

I COMPLETELY agree, Merlin Jones. Fans of Walt-era films and television are being done a disservice, as is the material itself, in it's current downgraded incarnation as unavailable "obscurities"/unwanted stepchild.

If Disney feels the classic Walt films and classic TV episodes of the anthology series, Zorro, and the original Mickey Mouse Club are too obscure to sell well, here's a simple, novel, solution:

PUT THE MATERIAL BACK ON TELEVISION!

This will remind more "casual fans" and the general public that it actually exists, and help generate interest, sales, and demand the same way Turner Classic Movies and TV Land do for their corresponding programming.

I would not be the least bit surprised if the reported decline in sales of the Disney Treasures can be attributed at least in part with the material's now prolonged absence from television, which may increase the "demand" among hard core fans/collectors, but will surely give it a lower profile for generating interest and exposure amongst the mainsteam.

It is sobering and sad to me that if some of this material NEVER makes it to DVD, and NEVER returns to the airwaves, it could basically never be seen again, except for those who have VHS copies (purchased when applicable) or homemade from Vault Disney.

New formats should be about the exitement of re-launching classics to look and sound better than ever; about introducing them to new audiences and generations and re-introducing them to longtime fans. NOT to leave them behind.

There is simply no reason why EVERY Walt-era film should not get the DVD treatment.

Also, Zorro had a very solid run of episodes and is certainly more worthy of DVD season-set/complete series treatment than a lot of TV series that have gotten the treatment.

And obviously, Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents/Wonderful World Of Color/Wonderful World Of Disney/etc., which ran in prime time continuously for TWENTY-NINE seasons from 1954-1983 deserves MUCH MORE on DVD than the release of a few token episodes (and in some cases, these were edited - cough, Disneyland's 10th Aniversary, cough)

If the anthology series doesn't deserve the comprehensive complete season by season/complete series DVD treatment, than IMO, NO television series does!

Heck, a Song Of The South DVD release could generate enough profit to MORE than cover the cost of getting the rest of Walt's films and television output available on DVD.

But sadly, in everything I am interested in (movies, music, etc), catalogue titles (my biggest area of interest) ALWAYS seem to get the shaft, with a large percentage of my favorites either not ever made available, out of print, or very hard to find. :(

No title should get left behind!

>>I would not be the least bit surprised if the reported decline in sales of the Disney Treasures can be attributed at least in part with the material's now prolonged absence from television, which may increase the "demand" among hard core fans/collectors, but will surely give it a lower profile for generating interest and exposure amongst the mainsteam.

I'm still chewing on how 'Rob Roy, The Highland Rogue' = 'Baby Einsteins'. That's a twisted world, my friends.