Original BGMs

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
I did some thinking the other day about which area background loops are the same since the location where it plays was under construction. Off the top of my head...

Magic Kindom
- El Pirata y el Perico steel drum BGM
- Pecos Bill - Area Music
- Splash Mountain - Area Music
- Haunted Mansion - Area Music
- Fantasyland Skyway Station/Pinocchio Village Haus/Fantasyland West Restrooms "yodeling" BGM
- Mad Tea Party - Area Music

EPCOT
- Imagination restrooms
- Garden Grill Restrooms
- The Land - Exterior Area Music
- Mexico (Interior and Exterior), China Exterior, Germany Exterior, Italy Exterior, American Adventure Exterior, Japan Exterior, Morocco Exterior, France Exterior, United Kingdom Exterior, Canada Exterior
- World Showcase Plaza/International Gateway - Area Music

Studios
- Hollywood Boulevard - Area Music
- Sunset Boulevard - Area Music
- ABC Commissary - Area Music
- Muppet Vision 3D - Area Music
- Tower of Terror - Area Music
- Rock 'n' Rollercoaster - Area Music

I'm assuming most of the loops at the Animal Kingdom haven't changed, or at least I haven't heard of them doing so. Some of these listed are just guesses, can anyone confirm the ones listed above?

Thanks!

Horizons

Playlist Author
Not sure if this is the original, but if I were to guess, I would say no.

- Pecos Bill - Area Music
Pecos Bill area music is just the general Frontierland loop.

- Haunted Mansion - Area Music
The area music is relatively new. Prior to it being installed, there was no area music.

- Garden Grill Restrooms
I don't think this goes back to the opening of The Land.

- Mexico (Interior and Exterior), China Exterior, Germany Exterior, Italy Exterior, American Adventure Exterior, Japan Exterior, Morocco Exterior, France Exterior, United Kingdom Exterior, Canada Exterior
It is possible some of this were changed at some point. Norway has changed by using the interior outside. My guess is that none of the other loops have changed, but I don't have any reference recordings of the loops from the early days.

- Rock 'n' Rollercoaster - Area Music
I know this has changed over the years.

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
While I cannot speak for El Pirata y el Perico specifically, I can confirm there have been at least two versions of the steel drum Caribbean Plaza music.

- Mad Tea Party - Area Music
I can confirm there has been at least two versions of the area music for Mad Tea Party.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Thanks for the confirmations, folks.

Are you sure about this? In the bathrooms, at least, the music sounds much different than the normal Frontierland loop.
Pecos Bill has a different interior loop and, perhaps, that's what you mean by "area music." I took your quote to mean the exterior loop. In any event, I don't know if the interior loop has been around since opening (I would guess no here as well).

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Thanks for the confirmations, folks.

Are you sure about this? In the bathrooms, at least, the music sounds much different than the normal Frontierland loop.

Did you note any of the tunes?
The reason I ask is that Frontierland in DLRP has a new loop playing but only in the gents restroom (can't speak for the ladies, my wife wouldn't go in and find out)and, as far as I could tell, just the one near Phantom Manor.
Typical banjo/piano stuff but quite different from the usual loop.
The speaker is located just above the hot air hand dryers so no recording opportunity.
I noted the new loop in August and it was confirmed by needmagic the following month but we both heard just the one tune playing - Clementine. Didn't seem appropriate to loiter to see if anything else played somehow. There's a limit to how long you can stand there "pretending" to pass water/dry hands etc without arousing suspicion. :p It was a long version of Clementine anyway.
Just though it may be the same loop. That's an interesting Disney concept, restroom loops.

gmeader

...That's an interesting Disney concept, restroom loops.

File this under trivia you probably didn't want to know.... but....when originally designing the WDW Splash Mountain audio zones it was determined that the ambient noise level in the men's room was going to be quite a bit different than the women's (based on historical data). Even though there was no restroom loop per say there was an attempt at having level control over the individual spaces. As the budget tightened this option was cut and both restrooms ended up being controlled by the same amp. So believe it or not the music in the restrooms is given some thought...at least in the early stages of design :D.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
That's an interesting Disney concept, restroom loops.
They don't play music in the restrooms on your side of the pond? :unsure:

Most restaurants, department stores, shopping malls, office buildings, etc., have music playing in the restrooms, so it's not something I would credit to Disney.

I've always got a kick out of the restrooms at Carrabba's Italian Grill (headquartered in Tampa, but located in 27 states), where they play Italian language lessons.

One of the more interesting restroom loops at Disney is the wild animal sounds that can be heard in the Conservation Station at Rifiki's Planet Watch in the Animal Kingdom.

Moaning Myrtle haunts the restrooms at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Club 33

Playlist Author
Moaning Myrtle haunts the restrooms at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure.
Even the men's room, which is odd on multiple levels if you ask me. It doesn't matter though, because the restrooms have Dyson airblade hand dryers that are so loud you can't hear the audio anyway.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Even the men's room, which is odd on multiple levels if you ask me. It doesn't matter though, because the restrooms have Dyson airblade hand dryers that are so loud you can't hear the audio anyway.

Yup, same dryers in DLRP. Jet engines make less noise.
Jay, the point I was making was that the music was playing ONLY in the restrooms. This loop plays nowhere else. It's not part of any other loop in the park so must have been installed in the gents (and possibly the ladies)restrooms only. There's no good reason why the loop should be there (unlike the HP loop of Myrtle).
Many restroom locations in DLRP have a loop playing but it's the loop for the area or restaurant - not a special restroom loop.
Maybe the sound of waterfalls may have been more appropriate though :p

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Jay, the point I was making was that the music was playing ONLY in the restrooms. This loop plays nowhere else.
I see. But the Italian language lessons, wild animal sounds, and Moaning Myrtle play only in the restrooms, so I still don't get the point. :p

With some of the newer technology that is available today (see [post=33166]here[/post] in the Theme Park Audio Pr0n topic), you're likely to start seeing individual loops pooping popping up all over the place. ;)

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Jay, the point I was making was that the music was playing ONLY in the restrooms. This loop plays nowhere else.
I see. But the Italian language lessons, wild animal sounds, and Moaning Myrtle play only in the restrooms, so I still don't get the point. :p

With some of the newer technology that is available today (see [post=33166]here[/post] in the Theme Park Audio Pr0n topic), you're likely to start seeing individual loops pooping popping up all over the place. ;)

In DLRP, the general restroom sounds are the same as the area sounds (ie what plays in the restaurant plays in the restroom, what plays outside plays in the restroom for the same area etc). I was surprised to hear a brand new loop replacing the "usual" one in a Frontierland restroom. That's not something they normally do there so you noticed it.
I can understand animal sounds and moaning Myrtle being used as they are more specialized sound effects with a reason to play them where they do play. A new Frontierland loop (very saloon sounding)playing in only the restrooms is not something one would expect there - especially in a park where the rule seems to be to save money (ie not repair speakers that don't work). They usually use tracks from the WDW Frontierland when they need a short loop but this is a brand new one.
If it's normal for the other parks, that's fair enough. It's just isn't (or wasn't) for DLRP.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
If it's normal for the other parks, that's fair enough. It's just isn't (or wasn't) for DLRP.
I was at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort a few days ago, working on the area music, and when taking a bathroom break, I noticed that they were playing a bunch of Disney's Greatest-type selections in the restroom. I guess I'm just not that surprised to hear that a restroom could be playing something different from the surrounding area.

With the ability to put eleventy-seven hours of music on a miniature self-contained solid-state playback system, you no longer have to worry about how many zones you want to set up, and how you're going to wire those zones, so you can put music anywhere and everywhere. Heck, you could have Goofy knocking things over every time a resort guest opens their closet.