Ordering "A Musical History of Disneyland"

lee81

Just adding this as further confirmation that we should be receiving the Limited Edition. I emailed DisneyDirect Guest Services and got this response:

-----------------------------------

Thank you for your recent product inquiry.

We are pleased to inform you that the Musical History of Disneyland CD set (item #61499) is the limited edition piece you requested. This includes the 33 RPM Gold Vinyl Record. Please visit us on DisneyDirect.com for more complete information on that item. The non-limited edition pieces, when available, will carry a different item number.

disneyboi81

McStennson,

This is very reminisent of the Pirates CD mess. I remember that very well. Disneyland though did handle that very well as I did get my limited CD! :)

ArnyVee

Well, I placed an order just a couple of hours ago and everything showed fine. Also stated a 1 week timeframe for the shipping. I can wait a little longer if I can be sure and receive my order.

Can't wait to hear these CDs!

lasvegastim

OK, I know this statement may cost me my ears (let alone my toot, whistle, plunk and boom), but I really don't understand why the so-called "ebay vultures" are so vilified. They have the exact same opportunity to purchase collectibles as you do. That they were able to make their purchases--regardless of how many--before the items sold out is the luck of the draw. I don't believe anyone (whether they're a "true Disney fan" or not) is any more or less deserving to get their hands on a rare collectible such as "A Musical History of Disneyland." Maybe it's my Vegas mentality. It's like saying only the people who "really need the money" should be guaranteed a huge jackpot when they come to visit my fair city. Reality tells us this just doesn't happen.

As far as the fairness factor--DisneyDirect limiting purchases to one per household or whatever--what do you think is more attractive to Disney: Moving 5,000 piece of merchandise in a matter of days, or a matter of weeks? I think the math is pretty easy on that one.

Now, if I haven't pushed you over the edge yet, this should do it: I purchased 3 of the Disneyland CD collections last night and 1 more this morning. One is for me to play incessantly until I drive my wife insane (for, yes, I am a "true Disney fan"). One will remain unopened and on permanent display in my house (the next generation of lasvegastim can do whatever they want with it when I'm gone). The remaining two will be (gasp) sold on the secondary market (maybe ebay, maybe not) because I'm just as money grubbing as any other red blooded American. Of course, it's not out of the question that there will be such a glut of collectible CD's out there, that it will drive the resell value down (a risk all vultures must take). If this be the case, happy bargain hunting to you all.

I will now put on my crash helmet and sit in the corner. Be gentle.

Tim

-Oh, it's awfully dark and gloomy up there-

I don't need to convince you otherwise, because everyone has their own opinion. I do appreciate your sharing the viewpoint. It is enlightening. It's still just not one I side with.

Of course, Disney will take the money. It's a business. And the reality is that some of the "true Disney fans" like you will miss out on an opportunity because others, perhaps true fans, perhaps not, made abundant purchases for financial gain.

It's not fair. It doesn't need to be a classic Disney happy ending. As you say, that's just how it is.

But..."ouch".

tcsnwhite

Could someone give me the correct answer.

Some seem to think that after the 5000 limited are gone, to get the regular ones, they would have to wait until september?

Didn't Randy say that September is just the nationwider release date for all retailers. Up until then, the regular versions should be available through disneydirect, wdw, and disneyland, right?

some seem to think that they would have to wait all the way until september. I don't think that's right.

Good question, SnowWhite.

I was just guessing here (there was no info to say otherwise) but I thought that when #61499 was gone, it was gone. In September, the national release (let's call it #61500) (ok, let's not, that wasn't any easier to type!) would be the same 6 discs, but in different, smaller packaging, more like the Tokyo Disneyland 4-disc 15th Anniversary set. No LE gold record, and no book either. The LE set is the one to get. Now, I know Randy said the national set would be the same. The discs will be. I predict that the packaging and everything else will be different.

The set was also supposed to be released on May 3. Some folks are listening to it right now though.

WDWHound

Well, its still available this morning on the Disney Direct web site, only now it shows that it will ship in 3 weeks. Its anybody's guess as to when this puppy will really ship. Oh well, I'm just glad I got one. It will ship when it ships.

And a note to the guy who plans to sell his 2 extra copies: You have every right to do so, but I put this in the same class as ticket scalping. Ticket scalping is legal in most places too, but I don't know of many people who like the practice. Hopefully everyone who really wants one of these will be able to buy it from Disney and wont have to pay the inflated prices that resellers charge.

ArnyVee

Reading what LasVegasTim stated made me think.... I'm gonna crack this thing open and won't have a sealed one to preserve through the years. So, I ordered another one this morning. Seems to be going through fine and my previous order shows "at distribution center" listed, so I guess things are alright.

Good luck to the rest of you wanting to pick this set up.

matt d.

Hi tcsnwhite,

My interpretation of what has been said on-line is that once the LE set is sold out at DL, WDW, and Disneydirect, the open edition set will be available "immediately." (after restocking etc.)

Those unable to purchase the open edition set at those three locations, will be able to purchase the open edition set nationally (Best Buy, amazon, etc.) in September.

So, if I am correct, then the open edition will be available way before September --- but only at DL, WDW, and Disneydirect.

Doesn't that sound correct? ???

OK, I know this statement may cost me my ears (let alone my toot, whistle, plunk and boom), but I really don't understand why the so-called "ebay vultures" are so vilified. They have the exact same opportunity to purchase collectibles as you do. That they were able to make their purchases--regardless of how many--before the items sold out is the luck of the draw. I don't believe anyone (whether they're a "true Disney fan" or not) is any more or less deserving to get their hands on a rare collectible such as "A Musical History of Disneyland." Maybe it's my Vegas mentality. It's like saying only the people who "really need the money" should be guaranteed a huge jackpot when they come to visit my fair city. Reality tells us this just doesn't happen.

As far as the fairness factor--DisneyDirect limiting purchases to one per household or whatever--what do you think is more attractive to Disney: Moving 5,000 piece of merchandise in a matter of days, or a matter of weeks? I think the math is pretty easy on that one.

Now, if I haven't pushed you over the edge yet, this should do it: I purchased 3 of the Disneyland CD collections last night and 1 more this morning. One is for me to play incessantly until I drive my wife insane (for, yes, I am a "true Disney fan"). One will remain unopened and on permanent display in my house (the next generation of lasvegastim can do whatever they want with it when I'm gone). The remaining two will be (gasp) sold on the secondary market (maybe ebay, maybe not) because I'm just as money grubbing as any other red blooded American. Of course, it's not out of the question that there will be such a glut of collectible CD's out there, that it will drive the resell value down (a risk all vultures must take). If this be the case, happy bargain hunting to you all.

Tim

First off if Disney lets you buy more then 1 copy then I cant blame you for doing it but here is my question. Lets say 100 were for sale at a store and you were number 5 in line and all 100 were bought by the 4 people in front of you. Wouldnt you be incredibly mad at the seller for not putting a limit on how many could be purchased by each buyer? I know I would and probably would not deal with that store again for a long time. If public relations isnt at least a minor factor in how a company does business then they have to be fools.

DrDisney

Tim

Hi There,

Since you're a fellow Tim, I'll toss my two cents in.

I am a card-carrying Republican conservative, advocater of small governement, laissez-faire, and free market forces to guide nearly everything.

That being said, I just can't come around to your way of thinking on this. In my opinion, every decision must be made in context. Whether war or peace, poverty or prosperity, or unimportant versus life-threatening. Nothing is in a vacuum, and the paradigm should be considered.

I would urge you to re-read the entries in the contest about the Disney music. This is not just a simple product being churned out and released to the market. Rather, it represents happy memories, money (hopefully) well spent on vacations, friends made, family members lost, and much more. To me, this is vastly different than the "the needy should win the jackpots" concept you proferred.

I definitely agree that in the end that money trumps everything and Disney is indeed a business. However, social and ethical considerations are a mainstay of all successful businesses. Disney frequently goes the extra mile with regards to conservation, education, employee training, and customer relations. Limiting supply of a highly desired item, knowing there is no risk of being stuck with an overstock, to me falls under the social conscience of the business.

Oh well, it is what it is and I can only do my part. I am on Ebay, I could have afforded more sets easily, but chose to not do so and instead ordered my one set. I will enjoy it, and probably pass it on to a loved one someday. Whoever out there is getting one because I didn't buy extras - I wish them years and years of fond enjoyment of our shared passion, Disney Music.

Thanks for listening,
--Tim

p.s. Ever see the CSI folks around town? That Sara Sidle is a real hottie! ;D

I agree with you, DrDisney.

I just got email from Disney Direct this morning regarding my order. I will be getting my set in less than 2 weeks!!! ;D Yoohoo....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our records indicate that your order is processing and will be shipped via DHL.

Please note that if the package was shipped via DHL, they will deliver it to your local Post Office, who will be making the final delivery. If you have not received your order by 5/10 please contact us at guest.services@disneydirect.com or 1-800-328-0368.

Eric

I had to respond to your message Tim..but please don't take anything I said personally..if I refer to you, I'm only using you as the poster-child for eBay resellers, and mean no dis-respect what-so-ever, nor am I passing judgement on you as an eBay reseller :)

That they were able to make their purchases--regardless of how many--before the items sold out is the luck of the draw. I don't believe anyone (whether they're a "true Disney fan" or not) is any more or less deserving to get their hands on a rare collectible such as "A Musical History of Disneyland."

Tim, I think you're missing the point here. Your mentality is "if it's legal, it's alright". Such a thought process tends to overlook morals, ethics, promotes selfishness, and loses the ideals of thinking of others.

Blatantly purchasing multiple copies with the only intention on selling on the secondary market with the knowledge that you'll be shutting others out from getting the opportunity to purchase and enjoy the same set at the same price you did, is unethical, in my opinion. EBay has ruined many collectible markets to the point where it's hard to enjoy collecting anything because there's always going to be desperate people willing to make a buck by hoarding such collectibles and jacking up the price.

I guess my thought process revolves around this...is the opportunity to make possibly $125 (at the most, if it doubles in price), worth it at the expense of shutting out somebody who simply wants to enjoy a collectible that means a lot to them..somebody who may remember being at Disneyland at the opening day (by listening to this vinyl record, or somebody who just simply has a love for Disneyland. The answer is a resounding "absolutely not" (again, this is only my opinion). In all reality, $125 is NOT that much money. Shutting somebody out from buying this so I can make that amount is NOT going to benefit me that much. If earning $125 is going to make that much difference to you Tim, perhaps it's time to find a new job.

Simple math doesn't work here though. PR, customer service, and marketing is what this situation revolves around. Now let me re-word what you said, in a way which is most beneficial to any retailer. Which is more beneficial and attractive to Disney, allowing 1000 people to purchase 5000 pieces of merchandise, pissing off 4,000 loyal customers in the process and possibly losing their future business....or continuing to serve 5000 loyal paying Disney fans by giving them the opportunity to purchase something that they would enjoy (thus ensuring continued business later down the line)? I think the answer is quite obvious, hence why Disneyland learned the second time around and increased the edition size of the LE Pirates CD ensuring that more people had the ability to purchase it.

The remaining two will be (gasp) sold on the secondary market (maybe ebay, maybe not) because I'm just as money grubbing as any other red blooded American.
But again, are you that money grubbing and that needy for $125? These days, $125 isn't going to buy you much at all. Is $125 really going to improve the quality of your life at all?

MagicalPins

So people were wondering how long till it shows up on ebay??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...435719&rd=1

ships immediatly eh?

must have been at the park Monday!

Nope, I was at the Park Tuesday. Also, I had the best luck there to, right as I was buying my 2 copies, Bruce Gordon walks in and he was nice enough to sign the book from my set (Im defently keeping that set for my collection), and the cds sound great. I bought an extra copy to sell to help pay for the one Im keeping. There is nothing wrong with that and it also helps get it out to more fans. Thanks again for advertising my auction.

It appears to be a reputable seller, but he uses stock photos and doesn't say what number out of 5,000 the edition is.

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice.

I dont see anything wrong with stock photos, but thats just me. As far as the number, Im sorry I didnt mention it before, the one in the auction is #4918. Also for those wondering, the number for the set I am keeping is #1380, so it looks like at the park, they getting random numbers that are all over the place.

Mike