Old Key West Resort

Playlist Old Key West Resort

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Do you know whether the same couple/few songs play every time you pull within range of a resort? I can't say that riding around all day on Disney buses is at the top of my "To Do" list, so if multiple trips are required, you can probably count me out.

I'm going to say no. The playlist did seem to be short, because over the course of a couple of days I would hear the same song, like Banana Boat Song, A Pirate Turns Forty, or One Love. It did seem to be in a loop, as the same song would play after the first, So it was like there is a station that they can pick up. But the same song wouldn't start as we turned onto Turtle Pond Road for example. I would also say that the loop isn't controlled by GPS (Like the Magical express Busses) but by the little gray LCD screens on the Dash. The driver plays with that as he's discharging passengers and it the music changes to the next resort they are driving to.

There does appear to be one component that is location controlled, and that is as the bus pulls into the Park. Pulling into...
  • Epcot starts One little Spark (From the entrance loop I believe) ,
  • Magic Kingdom starts King Mickey (From WDW Band)
  • Animal Kingdom starts the song from the radio in Animal Kingdom's Safari (Forget the name, but I have it around here somewhere)
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios starts Hooray for Hollywood.
Heading for the parks themselves play the same music. I seem to remember hearing music from the entrance areas played as they are heading to their retrospective parks. So that should be the easy part.

The Main issue seems to be whether the Driver has the music on or not. Sometimes they get chatty, have the music off or I've even had the Spanish language radio station on at least twice. So that is kinda iffy. I'm willing to work on that one.

Emcduck

Playlist Author
I'm heading down to the World this am planning on trying to work on the bus loop and the resort loop to id the tracks.

Does anyone have a general idea of the length of the track over at OKW?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Already done and sitting in the Playlists section. I will make it visible as soon as I have finished with all of the formatting. The duration is 03:59:47.

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Already done and sitting in the Playlists section. I will make it visible as soon as I have finished with all of the formatting. The duration is 03:59:47.
Great, thanks Jay!

I'll just hit the bus loop then. fairly easy to get a induction mike to a speaker there.

Now, if I could figure out how to get it near a speaker on the Magic...

Emcduck

Playlist Author
I am currently at OKW and spent a few hours in the pool with the trusty Recorder running until the pool was closed by lightning.

The loop has changed since I was last here. While some songs have been retained, We've been DJ LMNOP'ed again!
There is less steel drum, more reggae.

Here is what I've collected thus far:

[Track titles removed to avoid duplication. See playlist. —Admin]

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Wow... Look at me. I gotta be the King of patience. LOL :LOL:

You last commented a year ago. "Soon" was January 2011, and I think I started asking in 2010. You must be running island time bro!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Something magical happened this weekend! :)

The Old Key West playlist has been fully restored for the first time since August of 2008.

If or when I should happen to locate my older reference recording, I will fill in the missing tracks on Disc 4. We can no doubt safely assume that they consist of an M—V selection of tracks by Banks Soundtech Steel Orchestra and the Samaroo Jets. :confused:

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Something magical happened this weekend! :)

The Old Key West playlist has been fully restored for the first time since August of 2008.

If or when I should happen to locate my older reference recording, I will fill in the missing tracks on Disc 4. We can no doubt safely assume that they consist of an M—V selection of tracks by Banks Soundtech Steel Orchestra and the Samaroo Jets. :confused:

Thank you Jay!

I'm thinking that there is possibly yet one more disk unless they turn out to be some of your missing tracks...
I know I've heard several Trinidad and Tobago Showboat Orchestra's Beauty and the Beat (Some Day my Prince, A spoonful, Heigh Ho)

Some of these others might be from the Resort Bus or from the resort, I have to find my original notes...

One Particular Harbor J. Buffett
Tropical Beach Comber Barefoot man
All about the Water, J. Buffett
Two Pina Coladas G. Brooks
Ringling, Ringling J. Buffett
Kokomo, Beach Boys
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald G. Lightfoot (guess it was the only shipwreck song they could find)
Satisfy my Soul B. Marley
Is this Love B Marley

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I'm thinking that there is possibly yet one more disk unless they turn out to be some of your missing tracks...
I know I've heard several Trinidad and Tobago Showboat Orchestra's Beauty and the Beat (Some Day my Prince, A spoonful, Heigh Ho)

To be clear, this loop is heard outside along the boardwalk, Gurgling Suitcase, Hanks, Electric Eel, etc., and around the pool, not on the buses.

I have made three separate induction/live recordings over the years:

Recording #1: Discs 1, 2, 4, 5
Recording #2: Discs 1, 2, 3, 5
Recording #3: Discs 1, 2, 3, 5

I am still trying to locate my first recording, but, as I indicated above, I have no doubt that Disc 4's unknown tracks amount to an M—V selection by Banks Soundtech Steel Orchestra and the Samaroo Jets.

As Disc 5 stops at M, there is a possibility that a Disc 6 exists. I have yet to hear it, but if it does exist, I will bet you anything that it features a reggae Police cover or two. :rolleyes:

The whole thing is a damn mess if you ask me! I have a feeling that this loop started out as three separate projects that somehow got tossed together. Where in hell they had originally planned on subjecting people to two hours of steel drums with a few kiddie reggae songs tossed in is anyone's guess. :confused:
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald G. Lightfoot

Huh? For Key West?! I was born and raised in Michigan. The Edmund Fitzgerald was a Great Lakes freighter. She traveled from Duluth, MN to Detroit, MI for 17 years. She went down in Lake Superior in November of 1975. Great song, I bought the 45 when it came out in 1976. But not once did the Edmund Fitzgerald ever visit the Florida Keys.

Next you're going to tell me that Disney likes to play music in alphabetical order! Oh, wait... :confused:

Emcduck

Playlist Author
Well, first of all, if I didn't say it, Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I figured that your recordings were all resort. I checked my notes, and they are from when I was sitting around the ping pong tables, near the pool showers definitely not on da bus mon.

I can see where it looks like a mess, and the conglomeration of two projects. Easier now that I am looking at the full playlist. :D

And Edmund Fitzgerald... You got me where someone thought it was a fit... I remember Walter Cronkite talking about the Edmund Fitzgerald going down on the news, even if someone isn't familiar with the wreck itself, the song is a ballad, and the story is in there, no mention of Florida...

While I like the song, my first thought when I heard it was "What the???" Seemed out of place.

When I went to Key West, I saw how they talked a lot about how there was a big industry in Shipwreck salvage. It's a stretch, but this IS DJ LMNOP we're talking about here.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Well, first of all, if I didn't say it, Thank you! I really appreciate it.

You're welcome. :)
I checked my notes, and they are from when I was sitting around the ping pong tables, near the pool showers definitely not on da bus mon.

The 20 or so tracks that you had listed in [post=34849]post #25[/post] in this thread all matched up with my playlist. You made no mention of Beauty and the Beat or any of those other tracks during that visit. I don't know when or where you heard them, but it wasn't at Old Key West anytime after 2008 when I started paying attention. Not out on the boardwalk or near the pool, anyway. Did you spend time in the Conch Flats General Store or at Olivia's Cafe? I have no clue what they may or may not have been playing in those locations.

Unfortunately, I no longer live 5 minutes away from Disney. I was back down in Florida last week, but only for the weekend. I made it to the Polynesian to visit Trader Sam's (awesome!), and I can confirm that the exact same loop is still playing there. I also spent about 30-40 minutes at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and can confirm that they've switched back over to Disc 1. I didn't think to visit Old Key West, but if I had, I wouldn't have had the four or five hours necessary to see what's truly going on there. My guess? That Old Key West is still happily playing its jumbled up mess consisting of Discs 1, 2, 3, and 5. :rolleyes:

I can see where it looks like a mess, and the conglomeration of two projects. Easier now that I am looking at the full playlist. :D

Three projects. We get to go from A—Z two and a half times. :confused:

Emcduck

Playlist Author
I know what you mean... For me it is a 5-6 hour drive to the airport, Three and a half hour flight to Seattle, then a four and a half hour flight to Orlando... Not exactly a day jaunt over.

Yeah, I didn't hear anything from Beauty and the Beat on that trip. Which is why I didn't mention it.

For the location, it would be near the recreation area, on the other side of Gurgling Suitcase. I've been in both Conch Flats and Olivia's and I was usually too busy to make notes. Plus, I was definitely outside... Well, I'm fine dropping it from here, happy with what I have as I've not bought everything available, and CDs are still rolling in from Amazon.

The Poly is another of my favorites and hope you enjoyed yourself. I like AK lodge, but I like the music loops better than the resort (and the death march to the rooms) :blink:

monorail91

Thanks a ton for your work on this! Huge reggae fan so looking forward to all the new music I can discover. Track 02 "Tomorrow Nation" is excellent!

monorail91

I can't get over how good this loop is. I seriously listen to it all the time. When I ran the runDisney Disneyland Half Marathon a few weeks ago, I listened to it for the last hour or so - crossing the finish line to the tune of Jimmy Buffett's "Volcano" :cool: