Off Topic- Muppets have been sold

Alex K

Just another off-topic to an off-topic. For all Muppet fans, Time-Life had released a 15 DVD set of The Best of the Muppet Show, 3 episodes each or 45 shows total. Although Time-Life no longer sells the full set, it is still available on Ebay.

My kids, who had been exposed to the show's characters only through Muppet Vision 3D at the parks, really love the video set.

Jessica L

I agree about the Time Life set - it is wonderful!! I only have one DVD left to watch. I'm hoping that they release the rest of them - considering there were like 200 episodes made!

For more Muppet fun - you can check out www.muppetcentral.com (forgive me if this isn't allowed). It's a great Muppet fan site!

And did anyone else catch "It Feels Like Christmas" playing during the WDW Christmas parade? I thought that was a great touch - and pretty ironic considering they had just lost the bid...

I'm a huge Muppet fan so if you ever want to talk Muppets - just e-mail me! :)

sds910

Actually, Jessica, there were 120 episodes of "The Muppet Show"; the Time-Life series currently encompasses 45 of those. Sadly, as the set is titled "The Best of The Muppet Show", I don't see them going ahead and issuing another 25 DVDs worth...

Steve

Jessica L

Oops! My bad - I don't know what my fingers were typing with that one!

Yeah, there are 120 episodes, sorry!

I hope one day we get to see the rest of the series. I never got to watch the full series, having been born after the show went off the air, so these DVD's are my only shot. There's also a campaign going to get Fraggle Rock on DVD as well.

Jessica

Tink

Does this mean it's the end of the muppets at Disney? I'd assume not- esp. since the news came out over the weekend that the financing might fail and Dean Valentine might not get 49.9% of the Jim Henson Co. after all. This is getting interesting folks...

Tink

Dirk

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

while we have to wait to see what all this rumours about problems in the financing of the deal will result in I think we cans ay that we won't have to kiss the Muppets goodbye in any of the parks they have showed up so far anytime soon.

The WDC signed a contract with the Jim Henson Company regarding the exclusive use of the Muppet characters in their theme parks and a sale of the JHC shouldn't have any impact on this contract. Questions may only arise if a prolongation of this contract comes up and the JHC (under new management) and the WDC meet again at the negotiation-table ... in that case certainly the JHC will have to take a look wether maybe another theme park operator could offer them more favorable terms for the use of their characters - but I don't have any clue how much time is left from the original agreemenet between the WDC and the JHC.

The one thing I would assume is that we won't see many all new Muppet attractions in the near future if the JHC gets a new non Disney-owner.

Yours
Dirk

David S.

Well, since the Muppets and their DVDs have come up, I just HAVE to get my plug in for their new "The Muppet Show: Music, Mayhem and More - 25th Anniversary Collection" CD recently released on Rhino Records.

This CD features 27 tracks, the first half are from The Muppet Show itself, and the second half are from the six Muppet theatrical features. Since the fourth and fifth Muppet films were released by Walt Disney Pictures, I guess this post is at least partially on topic ;)

To have tracks like "Rainbow Connection", "Movin' Right Along", "Finale: The Magic Store", "Hey A Movie!", and "Together Again" finally available to me on CD is a long-awaited dream come true. Hopefully if this CD does well, the original soundtracks themselves will eventually be re-released on CD.

A track list can be found here, for those interested:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ic&n=507846

Tink

I want to second David's endorsement for the new Muppet's CD. It is AWESOME and has some much loved Muppet classics. And there truly is nothing like hearing Jim henson doing the voice of Kermit. Much like Walt's Mickey, Jim Henson's Kermit is never to be forgotten.

Tink

Jessica L

Add my praise for the Muppet CD! It is excellent! To have such classic Muppet songs on one CD is so great. My favorites are "Mahna Mahna" "Bein' Green" "Rainbow Connection" and "Finale: The Magic Store." But every song on there is wonderful (except maybe the very strange version of "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday"). I highly recommend this CD to anyone - even if you're not a Muppet fan. After listening to this CD, you will be. :)

Jessica

Tink

The very strange version of "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday?" Surely you don't mean the pseudo-pop version from "Muppets from Space!" :)

I had always assumed they meant that version to be a commentary on the state of pop music- not a serious attempt at making Gonzo into a pop-star. At least that's the only way I was able to stomach that version... :)

Too bad they didn't bother re-releasing the old Muppet Soundtracks as well as this CD. Maybe we can hope for that when whoever buys JHC actually finalizes the deal.

Tink

Jessica L

I sure hope that's the reason behind that song! ;)

The problem that I have with it, and they even state this in the liner notes, is that the time signature of the original song is different than the "new Pop" background music. So the vocals (which I believe are just taken directly from The Muppet Movie - though I could be wrong, I don't know if Dave Goelz re-recorded them or not) are not in the same time as the background. That's what drives me crazy! :)

Jessica

Tink

I never really thought about the vocals being off the rythmn tracks before. I guess I just assumed it was a (bad) style choice. I also assumed they re-recorded the vocals, since some of the inflections seem quite different. But I've never tried to listen to both versions together to compare...

Tink

X-S Tech

I'll third or fourth or plead the fifth on the Muppet CD. Excellent. While it left off some of my favorite selections from previous Muppet Hits albums (like the Silly Song U-Pi-Dee, or Link Hogthrobs hilarious duet of Macho Man with Gonzo) it is one of the best "definitive albums" I've seen. Wonderful length, a little bit of everything. You really got the impression that the album's producers were losing sleep over what to put in. Kudos and here's to a bright and glorious future for the Jim Henson Company.

SharonKurland

My husband was a huge Muppet fan growing up so I got him the 25th Anniversary CD for Christmas. He's thrilled .

But *I* got Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol AND The Year Without A Santa Claus AND 3 TDS CD's!

-Sharon-

Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol....

now you're talking... Truly a childhood favorite. I must confess that the animation does not hold up well on a big screen tv. However...I still love it.

It's great to be BACK, BACK, BACK on Broadway!!!!

SharonKurland

It's been so long since I've seen Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol that I probably won't even notice. Besides, our regular DVD player isn't hooked up yet so when I'm ready to watch it, it's gonna have to be on the teeny tiny computer screen anyway .

With razzleberry dressing.

-Sharon-