New Year's Eve Fireworks at DLP

Dirk

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

and first of all: a late HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you. I just returned from a lengthy new year's trip to the Disneyland Resort Paris.

Before the fireworks they transformed the Main Street and the Central Plaza (castle hub) into a big dance floor with modern pop, house and dance music with the Lights of Winter arches above Main Street and the lights on the castle "blinking" like disco effects lights. A rather entertaining and fun party event even so not typical Disney (at least one of the songs played even included the word "f**k" repeatedly) - but the crowds seemed to enjoy it and partied.

The fireworks once again used the Treasure Planet score as in the last two years. So no new music there. DLP is getting better and better at recycling, e.g. for the "Enchanted Fairytale Ceremony" (= the new tree lighting ceremony) the used the "One Man's Dream" song.

Yours
Dirk

X-S Tech

^^one of the songs played even included the word "f**k" repeatedly^^

...and everyone's OK with this? Nice.

Anyone who has a young child out for New Year's in Disneyland Paris really shouldn't be surprised or shocked. Things are MUCH different in Europe and they don't have our hangups about profanity and sex. You really have no right to judge anyone from another country. This isn't the place for this kind of thing; (flamewars, etc) we're all hear to talk about Disney Music, so lets keep on-topic.

X-S Tech

OT: Here comes the Judge

Oh here we go...

I don't know what a flamewar is. However, I do think that I (anyone) has the right to judge whatever we feel like judging. That phrase "You don't have the right to judge" is thrown out so much nowadays, and it's wrong. You have every right to judge. You have less of a right to impose those judgements on others but you can ABSOLUTELY judge. The definition of "to judge" is: to form an opinion of. So you've told us that we have no right to form an opinion. Now I know that that's not what you meant. You read something that you did not agree with, and you MEANT that we did not have the right to form THAT opinion. And of course that too is untrue. However, like I said that idea is far too prevalent nowadays. Nowadays, if an opinion is hurtful to someone, the person with the opinion must be wrong, or "judgemental". As if the world could possibly exist without just a few contradictory opinions.

But let's get back to specifics: Why don't we have a right to judge someone from another country? Don't we get to decide if we like the way another country handles things? We don't get to do anything about it. We don't get to make their laws, shape their culture, write their history, but by George, we sure can decide for ourselves whether we like it or not.

I have a feeling we would not be having such an elementary discussion if we were referring to a country with other differences, say one that dealt in Child prostitution (which many many do). Don't we have a right to judge that? What's the difference? It can't be the severity of the charge. It's either ok to judge or not.

And just to beat the point into the ground, the word "hangup" implies that the American view of sex and profanity is wrong. That's just as much a judgment.

Dirk

I think I need to apologize here ... I did not want to start this kind of discussion but just wanted to share the bit of news regarding the fireworks music - I added the bit about this one song played in over 90 minutes of besides this "normal" music before the fireworks just because interestingly even our group of European fans noted this during the party. Admittedly we were not really worried by it. Instead it was more of a "this would never be possible in the US-parks, but nobody is bothered here"-reaction without any judgment of the song, the DJ or Disney or the other guests partying along.

But it also needs to be understood that not only is the attitude of Europeans what you could call more relaxed toward profanity and sex, but there is also the fact that DLRP is located in France with therefore a majority of guests being non-native-English speakers. What I want to say with the latter is: in my own experience especially the severity of the word "f**k" is not really grasped by a large number of Europeans who are not native-English speakers. It is just "one of many words to curse". I think this clearly shows in the party-hit-version of the old Smokie song "Living next door to Alice". For several years now the song is frequently played at parties but also big sport events as e.g. the NFL Europe games in the stadium. It is always a guarantee to get the party really "pumped up" and going. Why? well it is a very special version ... it is stopped right after the words "living next door to alice" and the whole crowds shouts back "alice, who the f**k is alice" before the song continues. And yes this is aired on TV and radio and was released on CD successfuly.

Yours
Dirk

Re:OT: Here comes the Judge

There isn't a problem having your own beliefs, but when somebody posts "Only in France...figures" it really hampers a lot of discussion here and it really isn't the proper forum or context for this type of discussion. With that, lets agree to disagree, shall we?

TDLFAN

No surprise that DLP throws a party where questionable and mature language music is played over what is supposed to be a turn of the century atmosphere. Pretty sad. It continues the long standing DLP tradition of not being true to Walt Disney's tradition for the DL parks. For once I'd wish them people in chrage of DLP knew what a Dsiney park is supposed to be like. :mad:

X-S Tech

I was actually thinking the same thing about Disneyland's New Years celebration, though all of the songs were pop versions of Disney classics. My feeling though was why ruin the atmosphere of Main St, Frontierland, whatever, with this New Years Party atmosphere. To me any true Disney theme is always more interesting than a blow out party atmosphere. But I guess the folks who go to a Disney Park on New Years are probably there for a different experience than they would find every other day. At least there was no profanity.

TDLFAN

By the same standards, loud pop music is what has ruined the Universal Studios Florida experience. In that park, everywhere you go, they are playing loud pop music and you just can't escape it. There is absolutely NO quiet areas in that studio park. I hate it! :mad:

Are you all kidding me,, my comment was taken wrong, it just goes to show how we jump to conclusions and are so quick to look to the negative. I am the last person to judge other countries or other people. After working for the Walt Disney Company for several years I have learned a lot about the differences between parks and cultures. my comment about france was in relation to the fact that at DLP they have to be a little more edgy then the traditional parks we all know and love, it is a different culture which i have a great respect for. When I worked with our partners in france we always knew that what worked here would not always work thier, that is why that park is so different from Tokyo, California, WDW and Now even Hong Kong. THAT is the magic of disney, the fact that no matter what culture, the magic will translate into whatever thier heart can make it... This is the same thought process that whenever the parks here in the states try something new people here look to the negative and say we are changing tradition, Walt loved progress, and that progress is seen in those new ideas displayed at Disney Land Resort Paris. Next time you have question about a comment someone makes, try asking them what they ment by it instead of jumping to conclusions. Each of us adds value to what we do here and I am sure that all persons who use this board to share the magic of disney music use it as tool for to help relive thier magical experiences. This is the last place I thought someone would go off on a spree of negativity...... Relax everyone its just pixie dust ......

May the magic live in your heart,

Eric

Although I was not around durring the 50's Disneyland used to hold dance contests to some of the most popular music of that time, so its not really a new idea. I agree It may take away from the atmosphere of main street but I give them credit for thinking outside the box. Out of all the music that is out there,, I do have concern with the use of profanity in the parks, but then again look the music from Disney's Hunchback, Hell fire is pretty intense for a animated feature.
When I worked at WDW we would ask people to change thier shirts when they had words that where not apporiate for a Disney Park, The company would even buy the shirts if they felt it was in the spirit of good guest service.

Are you all kidding me,, my comment was taken wrong, it just goes to show how we jump to conclusions and are so quick to look to the negative. I am the last person to judge other countries or other people. After working for the Walt Disney Company for several years I have learned a lot about the differences between parks and cultures. my comment about france was in relation to the fact that at DLP they have to be a little more edgy then the traditional parks we all know and love, it is a different culture which i have a great respect for. When I worked with our partners in france we always knew that what worked here would not always work thier, that is why that park is so different from Tokyo, California, WDW and Now even Hong Kong. THAT is the magic of disney, the fact that no matter what culture, the magic will translate into whatever thier heart can make it... This is the same thought process that whenever the parks here in the states try something new people here look to the negative and say we are changing tradition, Walt loved progress, and that progress is seen in those new ideas displayed at Disney Land Resort Paris. Next time you have question about a comment someone makes, try asking them what they ment by it instead of jumping to conclusions. Each of us adds value to what we do here and I am sure that all persons who use this board to share the magic of disney music use it as tool for to help relive thier magical experiences. This is the last place I thought someone would go off on a spree of negativity...... Relax everyone its just pixie dust ......

May the magic live in your heart,

Eric

Eric,

It's sometimes tough to tell the intent of a message when it's only one sentence long. I apoligize if it seems I jumped all over you, but in the context that I read your statement in, it seemed you were making some kind of broad generalization about the French. It seems I was incorrect and I apoligize.