New Layout

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Looking good.
Takes a little getting used to the new layout though :)

Is there a way to edit personal settings so that the most recent posts are at the top? That was how I had my settings on the previous forum. It is easier to see the recent comments that way instead of having to scroll down the page (or even switch to additional pages when the topic is spread out over multiple pages). I've checked "My Controls" but didn't see any settings relating to the layout of the forum. Am I just not seeing it?

John

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Is there a way to edit personal settings so that the most recent posts are at the top? ... It is easier to see the recent comments that way instead of having to scroll down the page...
Wouldn't you be reading threads backwards? :)

I'm not sure what you're trying to do...but the easiest way to read new posts is to:
  1. Click on View New Posts at the top of the forum page.
  2. Click on the little orange pip (
    newpost.gif
    ) in front of the title of the topic that you're interested in to go to the first unread post for that topic.
Jay

I have to comment about using "Disney Read Alongs/Sing Alongs" as a heading. I think this is too specific as I noticed that most of my topics concerning disney vinyl records have been moved here :) . These topics covered more than just "kiddie" record selections and few if any relate to the topic heading :p

Other than that looking good!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I have to comment about using "Disney Read Alongs/Sing Alongs" as a heading. I think this is too specific as I noticed that most of my topics concerning disney vinyl records have been moved here :) . These topics covered more than just "kiddie" record selections and few if any relate to the topic heading :p
What would your suggestion be? I've only just started shuffling things around and, as I mentioned before, nothing is written in stone.

If the content of your topic appeared to be about Disneyland, I moved it to 'Parks and Resorts.' If the content appeared to be geared (mostly) towards children, I moved it to 'Read-Alongs and Sing-Alongs.' I know it's not the best solution, but I'd hate to see the bulk of those posts end up in 'Mousecellaneous'—as I'm trying to avoid having one gigantic category.

WDR's own website has categories for 'Children' and 'Teens.' I'm using 'Disney Pop Stars' to handle the teen-oriented stuff, but I'm not sure what to do about recordings that are (mostly) oriented towards children. Is it the category name, 'Read-Alongs and Sing-Alongs,' that doesn't work for you?

I will have member blogs turned on shortly. You might want to consider putting your "Currently on 'Ears' Record Player" links there. You will be able to control the presentation and you can create as many categories as you need.

Again, I'm all ears when it comes to suggestions/solutions.

Jay

WDR's own website has categories for 'Children' and 'Teens.' I'm using 'Disney Pop Stars' to handle the teen-oriented stuff, but I'm not sure what to do about recordings that are (mostly) oriented towards children. Is it the category name, 'Read-Alongs and Sing-Alongs,' that doesn't work for you?
Thanks Jay,

yes, I think it is the category name that does not work for me. Seems too specific. Maybe "Walt Disney Records" or "Disney on Record" to cover CDs, iTunes,MP3, and records that are not in the other categories?

I will have member blogs turned on shortly. You might want to consider putting your 'Currently on "Ears" Record Player' links there. You will be able to control the presentation and you can create as many categories as you need.
I like the idea of blogs here on the site. We have so many members that have interesting things to share and I look forward to reading them.

Ken

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Maybe "Walt Disney Records" or "Disney on Record" to cover CDs, iTunes, MP3, and records that are not in the other categories?
That's an idea. We could kill 'Disney Pop Stars' and 'Disney Read-Alongs and Sing-Alongs' and create a 'WDR' category.

I like the idea of blogs here on the site. We have so many members that have interesting things to share and I look forward to reading them.
Exactly! And that is why I ended up going with IP.Board. IPS is doing a much better job of integrating everything. It will be more apparent when we make the jump to IP.Board 3.0 in another month or so.

Jay

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Yes, I had to search for them (I do like to play them when I'm working on the PC).
I think a section for WD records sounds good (maybe WD records and recordings.?).
Readalongs and Singalongs would still fit there but the header would be more accurate - maybe even the word "vintage".
I think things are looking good though :)

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
i don't know if this has been asked before already, but on the old MM forum you said that you might have a sort of archive with Disney Park Audio tracklists...just wondering when/if this will be happening?

Thanks for all of the work you put into the new site. It looks great!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
...on the old MM forum you said that you might have a sort of archive with Disney Park Audio tracklists...just wondering when/if this will be happening?
This is one of the things that will be added to the front page/portal in the future. I'm not planning to get started on that area until after IP.Board 3.0 is released. I don't want to end up having to re-do things. I'm going to hold off on graphics, logos, etc. until then as well.

Jay

Dirk

really like the new layout makes things easy to find
Was that sarcasm? If so I would be more than willing to sign it.

I remember the old days when you went online on the forum and immediately saw all new posts in the overview, now it is a hassle to see which posts are new in which boards.

Considering the tendency of all of us here on the board to mostly discuss theme park music and sometimes the older WDR records (LPs) I think the new separation into several sub-forums and the rather broken up not very intuitive layout will only result in a further limitation of the topics of the discussion.

I already noticed for myself that I missed some of the "discussions" / posts in some of the sub-forums because I couldn't be bothered to check all of the sub-forums.

I hope I am wrong ... but I am not sure.

Dirk

Dirk,

I thought the same thing too until I noticed the "View New Posts" button on the top right of the screen. If you click there it will show you the new posts just like the old forum did. I use it every time I check the new site, and then I can just view any of the new posts without having to go into each subcategory. Hope this helps you, it did me.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I remember the old days when you went online on the forum and immediately saw all new posts in the overview, now it is a hassle to see which posts are new in which boards.
Clicking on 'View New Posts' at the top of the page is a hassle? :eek:

I'm not sure what you mean about an "overview," but you can also start with the 'Portal' page (www.magicmusic.net) to see the latest news and links to the most recent topics and blog entries. Other options are to click on 'My Assistant > New Posts' at the top of any forum page, or 'Today's Active Topics' near the bottom of the main forum page, in order to see "what's new."

Considering the tendency of all of us here on the board to mostly discuss theme park music...
'Disney Parks and Resorts' was given top billing for this reason.

Also, please keep in mind that the 'Archve' section is only temporary. I am moving threads out of there as time permits.

I couldn't be bothered to check all of the sub-forums.
I visit a dozen or more forums every day and not one of them has limited itself to a single category?most have way more than what you see here.

For me, a typical visit to another forum usually begins with 'View New Posts,' followed by browsing categories/topics of interest. Occasionally, I will use the 'Search' function to find something in particular?usually an older post that I want to reference.

Hope this helps.

Jay

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I'm quite used to the new layout now.
The icons on the left show if there are any new posts so that gives a nice choice - to view "all new posts" as mentioned or to see which forum has new ones.
Apart from the few techie questions I have posted, I'm enjoying the new layout.
I'm sure that once we all accept the change, we'll wonder why it wasn't done long ago (even though we know the answer).
I think any change to something we are used to tends to be frowned upon (remember the last time you got a new do-hickey and had to re-learn the remote for it? :eek: ).

Anything new can be a little frustrating to learn. In my experience though with software, once you learn it, you will see that the newer version can usually do so much more than the previous one. I like the new format so far. Thanks for all the work Jay!

Horizons

Playlist Author
I tried posting in the community calendar, but I don't see my post anywhere. Is this feature disabled?

Horizons

Playlist Author
Posts to the Community Calendar are moderated...so that we don't end up with entries like "Remember to pick up dry cleaning." :eek:

Your entry is visible now.

Jay

Well, sometimes you need a reminder...

Is this a feature you expect members to utilize?