Music tagging and MGM name change

Tannerman

So here's a question that's been on my mind as of late. With the renaming of the MGM Studios, how does this effect the way you tag music? Are you renaming all former MGM titles to the new Hollywood name, do you split your music into two "camps" based on historical naming, etc.?

BLM07

Whatever is already tagged "Disney-MGM Studios" will stay that way. Anything made after the name change will have the new name (which so far, I haven't got any audio).

Horizons

Playlist Author
Whatever is already tagged "Disney-MGM Studios" will stay that way. Anything made after the name change will have the new name (which so far, I haven't got any audio).

Lazy!

Is it? Would we change all of our commercial tracks if a band changed their name to something else?

I think this is a great topic and I think there are salient issues both ways. My own tags are a complete mess but at least for my file structure it's not so much an issue as I always used 'DS' for Disney Studios.

almandot

I've changed my folder name and have been labelling stuff since as DHS instead of MGM but haven't gone around to changing all the ID3 tags yet.

Even though some stuff was part of the MGM park and is no longer there thus will never be a part of DHS, I'll include them in what I change simply because we're only using the park name as a labelling system it's not part of the track's title or album or anything. If a cd were called "The Music of Disney's MGM Studios" then that would obviously stay the same, but just because I've used the Album field of my music to designate the park it's from doesn't mean it's part of the name :p

I keep everything tagged as it originally was. I like to know what each piece was at the time it was produced. Anything new I get that may be a duplicate, but is tagged as DHS, I will leave as well. I don't mind renaming things, I will have to make a new system to separate the newly named park audio from the old.

I just wonder just what new audio will be available anytime soon.

BLM07

Lazy!

Lazy? More like accurate! Why should I rename files to only make them less accurate? And besides, I don't keep the park name in the filename itself, that's just insane :-X

Though I do tag everything from the Disneyland Paris park simply "Disneyland Paris" regardless of what the name is now or what it used to be.

BLM07

Tower of Terror opened in 1994, long before the name change, so MGM.

Gurgitoy2

Yeah, I'm sticking to naming new things after the name change, and keeping MGM on things that predate the change. I might double name a folder though. Like "Disney's MGM/Hollywood Studios" to keep all the files in the same place.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Tower of Terror opened in 1994, long before the name change, so MGM.

What if you get a new TOT recording? For example, if I sent you my recording of the queue BGM, would you still put it in the MGM folder?

We must be running short on other topics since we are keeping this one going...

BLM07

I'll use Epcot for an example. All Epcot audio stays in the "EPCOT Center" folder. The tag itself is the only place you will see the change. If the music was created before the name change, I'll use EPCOT Center, no matter when the recording was made. If it was a live recording after the name change, I'll use Epcot.

Maybe I should stick to one or the other, it isn't too hard to mass rename tags in Winamp.

GarrettJD

Everything is still MGM to me, because I still haven't gotten used to calling it DHS yet. Probably because it was still MGM last time I went there in December of last year.

Maybe after my upcoming trip in June I'll make the transition. :)