MSEP Voice

dkrfla

I was wondering does anyone know exactly what year they started doing the robot voice over for The Main Street Electrical Parade? I am curious to know for both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. I started seeing the parade as a small child in 1977 at Walt Disney World but I don't remember the voiceover being there in the early days. I know that there are many threads in thew archives about this but i just don't have the time to search thru them all. Someone really should compile all the information and do a really indepth look at this parade on a website or something.

Jack started doing the electronic/robotic announcement voice in 1977 after the Main Street Electrical Parade returned from a 2-year hiatus (due to the run of America on Parade from 1975-1976). In fact, many new dramatic changes and improvements to the floats, costumes, and the music, premiered in 1977 -- many of which remain the same today.

dkrfla

So would it be safe to assume that when the parade debuted in Florida in 1977 that it included a Jack Wagner vocoder intro? I wish I had brought a tape recorder to the parks back then and recorded it.

Yes! The new and improved MSEP also premiered at WDW in 1977. FYI... It was Don Dorsey who applied the vocoder effect to Jack's Wagners voice. The electronic sound of the parade, originally created by Paul Beaver (a pioneer in the world of synthesized music) was updated in 1977 by Don Dorsey.