Monsters, Inc. Queue Music [DCA]

Club 33

Playlist Author
Monsters Inc DCA Queue Music Loop

Been working on this one for a while now, yesterday I was finally able to get a complete induction recording. Not the best recording ever (sounds a little muddy) but adequate as a reference recording. I don't know if the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor attraction at MK uses the same loop (I wasn't sure when I rode the attraction last weekend- but it seemed like it was longer or included some different tracks).

As far as what is available regarding a reconstruction, everything comes from three albums. The first is the official soundtrack to the Monsters Inc film (Soundtrack). The second is a CD by Riders in the Sky (who also did the Woody's Roundup music) entitled "Monsters Inc Scream Factory Favorites" (Scream Factory Favorites). The third is a complete (?) copy of the score cues from the movie that was posted on A.B.M.D.P. The quality of these tracks varies wildly so I'm not sure of their origin, though it has been labeled both as a "Demo" and as a "Promo". I'm calling it "Promo" here. All of the tracks from the official soundtrack also appear on the "Promo", though they may have different names or be split up into multiple tracks. Since the official album is easier to come by (and of course supports the artists when you buy it), I've only listed the Promo tracks when the music does NOT appear on the official soundtrack.

Some tracks are edited to start later or end earlier as noted.

The loop runs 30:11

1. Monsters Inc - Soundtrack
2. Walk to Work - Soundtrack
3. If I Didn't Have You [Instrumental] (Edit)* - Scream Factory Favorites
4. School (Starts at 0:58) - Soundtrack
5. ? (5:12)
6. Randall Appears (Ends at 0:18) - Soundtrack
7. The Scare Floor - Soundtrack
8. Oh Celia! (edit) - Soundtrack
9. ? (extends track 8)
10. Big High Wire Hop** (Ends at 2:10) - Scream Factory Favorites
11. We Had Some Laughs - Promo
12. ? (4:56)
13. Sulley and Mike (Starts at 0:50) - Soundtrack
14. Number 1 (Starts at 0:19) - Promo

*While the version of "If I Didn't Have You" on the CD is the same version that plays in the loop, the CD version has some voices on it (some witty banter between band members) that does not appear in the loop version. EDIT: I had assumed that for track 3, they had simply mixed out the Riders in the Sky voices from the track. In fact this is not the case, they merely cut that section out entirely- the loop version simply cuts from the point right before that section to the point right after it with a deft cut that actually makes the track flow a little better than the original. What this means more importantly though is that, with the exception of the three non-needledrop (or otherwise unidentified at this point) tracks, it is possible to create an accurate reconstruction.

**Big High Wire Hop is the score to the Pixar short For the Birds, which played before Monsters Inc theatrically.

Tracks 5, 8 and 11 do not appear to be needle drop, and seem to be original to the attraction. I do not have definite times for 5 and 8 at this point because they are not standalone pieces of music, instead they extend the tracks before them (tracks 4 and 7). These "extended" versions start with the needledrop pieces and then launch into longer, jazzier improvisational type music in the same style. Track 11 does more or less stand alone but still does not appear to be needledrop.

I had not been able to get an accurate time for tracks 5 and 8 because they appeared to be extended versions of the tracks next to them. This, at least for track 5, is not the case. Track five follows the same melody as track 7, "The Scare Floor", but is it's own separate track, with a time of 5:12. I also, as it turns out, inexplicably left "The Scare Floor" out of the listing in my original post by mistake. In addition to correcting those mistakes in the listing I am also providing for download my induction recording of Track 5, both for those who wish to make their own reconstruction and on the off chance it IS available somewhere and someone will recognize it.

[Link has expired.]

While a cursory listen to the loop and track 8, "Oh Celia!", makes it seem like they're the same, they're not- in fact "O Celia!" gets remixed and expanded into tracks 8 and 9, sort of an "Extended Mix" if you will. While parts of this mix clearly come from the needledrop track the track does not "fit in" anywhere in the loop version exactly, it comes close for a few seconds and then the timing changes. The rest of the track appears to be original to the loop.

Depending on the track, some pieces cut with no transition into the next track, while some transition into the next track or otherwise play into one another with no gap in between.

Interestingly, the first cue of the attraction medley released on the DLR Official Album does not appear in the loop. I had assumed that that cue was arranged for the loop because it is not from the score, and yet does not seem to be in the attraction either such that I've heard (the cue after it, which actually interrupts it for the purposes of transition, is the first piece of music that plays after the ride starts). So... (I've always wanted to do this) RANDY?

Re: Monsters Inc DCA Queue Music Loop

Hey Club 33!

When I get the elements for an attraction, they range from any number of formats - from complex multi tracks, isolated music loops, to complete mixes (loops are usually instrumental scores and mixes usually for load / fill cues).

What I received for "Monsters, Inc." were the isolated loops. Now when I reconstruct the cues, I often come across an alternate version, or a cue that was unused. Doesn't happen often, but I try to take advantage of it. If the cue works musically, remains interesting, and I have the time, I'll include it in the track. When I originally assembled the "Monsters, Inc.", I was afraid that it was a little long for just an instrumental (I mean, not for us types - but the average guest). But the arrangements are so good and the music is so great, it doesn't seem like its nearly 8 minutes long. Some may find the long instrumentals rather dull, but I love 'em. If I have to, these instrumentals can always be truncated if I need more disc space for new tracks.

Well, I just used 2 paragraphs to say - I don't know exactly what the cue is, what it was intended for, or why it's not in the attraction. I guess, if nothing else, now you know why it's on the album.

Sorry I wasn't of more help,
Randy

almandot

When I originally assembled the "Monsters, Inc.", I was afraid that it was a little long for just an instrumental

well you could have always..  COUGH :-X COUGH man something got stuck in my throat there weird ;)

Club 33

Playlist Author

I suppose so Jeff.

Thanks for the explanation Randy. Certainly I enjoy the medley very much, it's never seemed too long to me!

And good news! I've begun work on a reconstruction of the loop from the available needledrop elements. I had assumed that for track 3, they had simply mixed out the Riders in the Sky voices from the track. In fact this is not the case, they merely cut that section out entirely- the loop version simply cuts from the point right before that section to the point right after it with a deft cut that actually makes the track flow a little better than the original. What this means more importantly though is that, with the exception of the three non-needledrop (or otherwise unidentified at this point) tracks, it is possible to create an accurate reconstruction.

Club 33

Playlist Author

And yet more info (and mistakes on my part) comes to light-

I had not been able to get an accurate time for tracks 5 and 8 because they appeared to be extended versions of the tracks next to them. This, at least for track 5, is not the case. Track five follows the same melody as track 7, "The Scare Floor", but is it's own separate track, with a time of 5:12. I also, as it turns out, inexplicably left "The Scare Floor" out of the listing in my original post by mistake. In addition to correcting those mistakes in the listing I am also providing for download my induction recording of Track 5, both for those who wish to make their own reconstruction and on the off chance it IS available somewhere and someone will recognize it.

[Link has expired.]

Marko

Are these the same tracks as used on the Laugh Floor in WDW.

Marko

All right. I think that the monsters inc. theme is there.

Club 33

Playlist Author

Thank you Jay. Yes, I'm afraid I don't know- and it doesn't look like a recording of the Laugh Floor loop is possible either, so let's hope it's the same.

I've now reached track 8 in the reconstruction, "O Celia!". While a cursory listen to the loop and the track makes it seem like they're the same, they're not- in fact "O Celia!" gets remixed and expanded into tracks 8 and 9, sort of an "Extended Mix" if you will. While parts of this mix clearly come from the needledrop track the track does not "fit in" anywhere in the loop version exactly, it comes close for a few seconds and then the timing changes. The rest of the track appears to be original to the loop.

monorail91

Club 33, could you please re-upload those songs you recorded? The SaveFile links weren't working for me. :(

Also, what does it mean if one of the tracks is "Promo"?

Club 33

Playlist Author
Club 33, could you please re-upload those songs you recorded? The SaveFile links weren't working for me. :(

Also, what does it mean if one of the tracks is "Promo"?

Perhaps. I had just uploaded the one track, to see if anyone could identify it, but I think at this point it's fairly clear that the three as-of-yet unidentified tracks were recorded specifically for the attraction. However the posting of media files, even ones that haven't been commercially released, isn't really something that's favored around here in my experience. Also, I, like Horizons, have instituted a bit of a moritorium on posting my recordings publically. And also it was never a fantastic recording to begin with and I'm probably going to redo it sometime this year.

However- it was previously posted here so I suppose there's no need to punish you for being late to the party. I will re-post the track as I originally did, to allow those that might still want it to obtain it, and when it expires this time that will be it. I will not do this, however, right this second, because it is 3am. :)

As to the "Promo" thing...

Actually, I'm planning on revamping this listing- I got a little ahead of myself in identifying the tracks as they appeared on a Promotional copy of the complete score to the film that was released for awards purposes. However, all of the songs in the loop that are from the score can be found on the official soundtrack, and I will be redoing the listing to reflect this.