Kuhn, Menken and Benson Salute Disney Music Aug. 20 and 21 at Hollywood Bowl

Anyone going to the concert?

Judy Kuhn, Alan Menken and Jodi Benson Salute Disney Music Aug. 20 and 21

By Andrew Gans/Playbill.com
02 Aug 2004

The Hollywood Bowl will offer The Great American Concert with Fireworks?Walt Disney: 75 Years of Music Aug. 20 and 21.

Part of the Bowl's "Weekend Spectaculars" series, the concerts will feature the vocal talents of Judy Kuhn, Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, Lisa Vroman and Stuart Ambrose. Tony-winning composer Alan Menken will also be part of the evenings, which feature Mary Costa as narrator and special guest Dick Van Dyke. John Mauceri will conduct the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, and the Disney salute will also boast the Cal State Fullerton University Singers under the direction of John Alexander. Show time is 8:30 PM.

According to the Bowl's official website, the concerts will "pay tribute to a true Great American icon ? the inimitable Walt Disney. This weekend celebrates his commitment to orchestral music, from the beginnings with 'Steamboat Willie' to the drama of 'Fantasia' to the mega-smash 'The Lion King.' From old favorites to new hits to classic songs, there truly will be something for everyone at this first-time event that ends as only a Great American concert could ? with fireworks." The concerts are produced in cooperation with The Walt Disney Company.

The Hollywood Bowl is located in Hollywood, CA, at 2301 N. Highland Avenue. For tickets, call (323) 850-2000. Visit www.hollywoodbowl.org for more information.

xfkirsten

I really, really wanted to... unfortunately, by the time I found out about it, it was already sold out. :(

-Kirsten

chris

That sounds wonderful. I wish they would broadcast it on TV. Of course that probably won't happen. :'(

:D

Hi ya'll just catchin up. -

We went to the bowl last night and were blown away by this Concert.

Dick Van Dyke and Alan Menken both sang!!!

this was the best concert I've seen since U2 at Staples!

I'll try and post up a report..
The second concert is tonight. I had hoped that Roy or Sharon would have been there but it was put on by the WDco. (Not hard to guess why not)

chris

That sounds great, Jeff. Would love to hear all the details! Were there any cameras there filming it?

Chris

Bill its nice to know you are still ever watchful, on the prowl for the slightest slip. (You should work for Fox news)
Sharon from FL would be welcome though.

But, Yes I mean Diane.. duh. I'm out of it for 6 months and I lose my mind.

I'm working on posting a few samples of the concert discreetly in disney places so keep your eyes peeled.
I'll type a report later on.

Wish I had went both nights now.

See ya'll
J

Review from Variety.com :)

Sun Aug 22, 3:14 PM ET

Joel Hirschhorn, STAFF

Hollywood Bowl; 17, 376 seats; $106 top

The Los Angeles Philharmonic Assn. presents "The Great American Concert with Fireworks," with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra conducted by John Mauceri. Reviewed Aug. 20, 2004.

Special guest appearances: Jodi Benson, Mary Costa, Judy Kuhn, Paige O'Hara, Lisa Vroman, Stuart Ambrose, Alan Menken, Dick Van Dyke and California State U. Fullerton University Singers with John Alexander, director.

Nostalgic, childlike enthusiasm for Disney music was clearly conveyed in conductor John Mauceri's opening remarks at the Hollywood Bowl tribute to Disney's 75-year musical legacy. Mauceri's beaming expressions lit up two large screens, and this personal emotion gave flavor and drive to a Disney Classics Overture that contained bustling renditions of "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo," "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" and "You Can Fly." But remainder of the program took flight only fitfully as a series of selections either soared or sagged until the solidly thrilling "Lion King" climax.

Rimsky-Korsakov's "Bumble Boogie" from 1948's "Melody Time" featured Jack Fina's rousing arrangement and skillful four hand pianistic contributions by Mitchell Hanlon and David Loeb. Stuart Ambrose teamed with Lisa Vroman on "Someday My Prince Will Come," confirming the charisma he displayed in Disneyland's popular "Snow White." The concert first faltered with an over-extended "Bambi," spotlighting retired opera star Mary Costa. Costa's narration against the Frank Churchill/Edward Plumb underscore was efficient, but her segment -- which sorely needed clips -- felt as though a children's recording had been uneasily pushed into the proceedings. Additional clips in general would have created a more vivid connection to the tunes.

Mauceri's excellent arrangement of the "Sleeping Beauty" suite did full justice to Tchaikovsky's themes. Less exciting was James Horner's exuberant "Rocketeer," a piece that lost power in comparatively mild orchestration and never rocketed to requisite heights.

As if on a pogo stick, the concert lifted up again with Dick Van Dyke. The ultimate pro danced delightfully and duetted with Vroman on a medley of "Mary Poppins" songs. He kicked up his heels during Richard and Robert Sherman's "Supercalifragilisticexpialodocious" and "It's a Jolly Holiday With Mary," and the Van Dyke-Vroman pair offered winning examples of showbiz savvy and style.

Eight-time Oscar winner Alan Menken accompanied himself vocally on piano with selections from "The Little Mermaid," "Aladdin," "Beauty and the Beast" and other hit films. Menken, an underrated master of melody, deserves increased name recognition, but his vocals were unsteady, and he raced through songs without giving them nuanced treatment. He was better and more relaxed on ballads such as "Go the Distance" from "Hercules."

One of the evening's best moments came when Menken introduced Jodi Benson, and Benson brought out the fervent passion in "Part of Your World" from "The Little Mermaid." Paige O'Hara put over "Beauty and the Beast," despite pitch lapses, and Judy Kuhn delivered a strong and intense "Colors of the Wind."

Hans Zimmer's "Lion King" theme, majestically played and sung by the Cal State Fullerton University Singers, furnished a worthy musical accompaniment to the Bowl's fireworks, splashes of exploding color that concluded appropriately on a lion's face. Elton John and Tim Rice's "The Circle of Life" placed the stirring seal on a show that served up memorable music without supplying a totally satisfying sense of Disney's vast musical history.

SharonKurland

I am SO jealous. I would have LOVED to have seen that show. Closest thing we've got in Florida is....having to go to NY to see Susan Egan do a concert. And we're not even going....

-Sharon-

Lisa Vroman played Christine in Phantom in SFran and LA. Has lotsa credits on stage etc. She stood in for Julie Andrews.
more later
Jeff

Gee Sharon ..I didnt notice you for more own wild clapping and hysterics.

I will try and post these files I recorded with my minidisc.
sometime .. this month...