Kids of the Kingdom Disneyland LP Question

wdi33

Hi-

I just found a Disneyland album on ebay and was hoping you Disney Record experts could give me some info. Who were the Kids of the Kingdom? Is this really a Disneyland record and is it rare? I'm starting to collect old Disneyland LP's and am wondering if this is worth adding to the collection? :D

Prof. Emelius

I cant disagree more with the above review. To answer the original posted question, the Kids of the Kingdom were a live singing group of young talented clean cut kids, (of diverse ethnicities) who started out in the late sixties around the time the new Tomorrowland of 1967 premiered in Disneyland. They performed often at the Tomorrowland stage, and also the Tomorrowland Terrace, and became a signiture act of the park durring that period. Although the above "critic" thinks that the repetoire on this album is unusual for the Kids, during the period that this album was released, it was exactly the same style of music they were performing in the park. Eventually Disney World got its own Kids of the Kingdom, and a new generation of this group still performs in the Florida resort to this day. Over time their music has become more bland, in my opinion, and it is now more appealing for very young children, but in the late sixties, when this album was released, the group had not mellowed out to what it is now. They were very relevent to what was going in in popular music durring that period, singing music that was popular and familiar to most modern day audiences of the time, and in my opinion, this music is great even today. It is Sixties pop with a touch of Disney, and how could you go wrong with that combination. Yes do buy the album, it is great. I listen to my copy often.

If you like The Mike Curb Congregation, The Johnny Mann Singers, Up With People!, The Osmonds, The Carpenters, The Cowsills, The Partridge Family, The New Christy Minstrels, Lawrence Welk, The Archies, The New Mouseketeers and The Brady Kids, you'll probably like Kids of the Kingdom.

I love 'em!

Prof. Emelius

I guess some people like camp more than others. It's hard to imagine there are Disney fans out there who dont appreciate the kitchier side of things, but I guess it takes all kinds. Trust me, if you love classic 1960s era Disney, you will enjoy the nostalgia of this album.

Even better, if you can find it, is "Disneyland Showtime," a 1970 episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney" that celebrates the opening of The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. It was the last of the great filmed shows about Disneyland and features Kurt Russell, The Osmonds, EJ Peaker and yes, The Kids of the Kingdom - - who sing a Disneylandified version of "This Land is Your Land" while grooving in polyester all across the park ("...from the tall, tall treehouse to the tiki teahouse... this land is made for you and me!").

wdi33

Thanks for the awesome information everyone! Too bad there isn't this kind of fun entertainment at the parks today... And I'd love to hear a Disneyland version of "This Land Is Your Land" I'll have to find a copy of Disneyland Showtime!

If you watched the American Idol finale last week - - the opening number with all the kids dressed in white, harmonizing and grooving in a safe-funky-sexy-wholesome way - - that number was SO like Kids of the Kingdom. Given that Idol moment, I think the format is ripe to return to Disneyland where it belongs!

I think 'Hallelujah Trail' is one of the better tracks on the Kids of the Kingdom LP, followed by 'California.' Sadly, their signature "This Land is Your Land' is not on the album.

There are two other Buena Vista LPs of this nature, with perhaps even better material:

"The Mike Curb Congregation Sing Walt Disney's Greatest Hits" - - originally a Vista LP that was later licensed by Curb Records for CD, is available on iTunes - - that sadly does not include the MCC Vista single of "The Mickey Mouse Club March" (with the "Disco Mouse" vocal arrangement) which also showed up on a Mickey Mouse Club soundtrack LP reissue compilation in the 70's.

Even better is the very rare British Vista LP "Walt Disney Productions Presents The Young Generation" - - sort of a British TV version of The Kids of the Kingdom. The Young Generation cuts of "These are the Best Times" from "Superdad" and "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" are sheer 70's bliss. Great harmonies and arrangements on those two (which also comprised a British single).

Well, when it comes to Walt Disney entertainment, there's no reason not to be corn-holed...

"The critics think I'm corny. Well, I am corny. As long as people respond to it, I'm okay." - - Walt Disney

"We're selling corn. And I like corn." - - Walt Disney

?When I was a kid, a book I read advised young artists to be themselves. That decided it for me. I was a corny kind of guy, so I went in for corn.? - - Walt Disney

"I like perfection, but I also like corn." - - Walt Disney

?We?re making corn. But it?s got to be good corn. Let?s make it the best we possibly can? - - Walt Disney

I guess you could say Disney is in the business of "cornography."

Gurgitoy2

"safe-funky-sexy-wholesome way"

Is that even possible? Sexy and wholesome?

"Hey...no judgements here. I'm the King of Corn. I'm only responding to Prof's intimation that my "review" wasn't with merit. For most people, this album would seem corny and dated. Period. The fact that one loves it, doesn't really change that."

I agree with this. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you shouldn't discount their review. I really have a hard time when people use quotations like "critic" just because they don't agree with the viewpoint. We are all critics, and are allowed our own musical tastes. Mine happens to be in line with Bill's on the "Kids of the Kingdom" LP, but I don't discount those of you who like it.

Gurgitoy2

Oh, and as for American Idol. David Archuleta would be a ripe candidate for a revived "Kids of the Kingdom" for sure...but you'll notice that he DID NOT win the competition. The winner, David Cook, was just a little bit edgier...sure, in a main-stream kind of way, but the message was pretty clear that his style won out over cute & wholesome.

The winner, David Cook, was just a little bit edgier...sure, in a main-stream kind of way, but the message was pretty clear that his style won out over cute & wholesome.
Not that that has 'edgier' anything to do with Disney music.

Bill said:
For most people, this album would seem corny and dated.? Period.? The fact that one loves it, doesn't really change that.
How special for you to provide that context for all of us on a Disney Music Message Board. :rolleyes:

Prof. Emelius

The reason I quotated the word critic in response to the first review before my intial post, was because the word "honky" was used to describe the Kids of the Kingdom, and I was very upset with that accesment. I think that is a racially loaded word, and it perhaps shaded my normally objective perspective. I own the album, and there are several Latino and African American people pictured as members in the group, and remember, this was over 40 years ago, so that was very progressive for that time, and commendable. I was heated over that, so that added to my frustration over the very negative review given in general. My whole life, I have been critisized and dicredited by others for my love of Disney music, and I thought this would be a safe place for us to discuss and share our love of Disney music, so I was in dismay when someone discredited it in the very place I thought was a safe haven with not just a negative review, but a scathing one. I dont critisize others taste in music, just because you dont like a paticular syle of music, does not mean it is bad. As you noticed, there is a 50/50 split in this opinion. Both Merlin and I love this album. So it is wrong to say because you dont like it, that the jury is out.

jjmkemp

Bill said:
Thanks for spotting the "African Americans" and the "Latinos" on the cover!? I must have missed them.? There was also a homosexual, a Buddhist, an astronaut and a former nun.? You must have missed those.
Not to further beleaguer this issue, but I was a Kids of the Kingdom member in the late eighties, and to my knowledge, we never, never, ever had an astronaut in the ranks.

Jay