Kids of the Backyard 'Disneyland is Your Land' (downloads)

Here's the parodied version of 'Disneyland is Your Land' that I mentioned about a month ago. The show was performed in my backyard (by a group we put together called the 'Kids of the Backyard') for a Disneyland Character Department party in the summer of 1980. Jack Wagner did all the announcements and Don Dorsey edited the original music and added humorous sound effects. We even parodied the Gala Night fireworks show with my sister's Barbie doll (a somewhat evil version of Tinker Bell) flying over the backyard on a wire. She hung upside down by her feet from a toy helicopter and held a sparkly 25th anniversary logo in her hands. Gala Night was a big event where celebrities, industry heavy weights, and key Disney personnel associated with Disneyland's first 25 years were invited to the park for a big celebration.

We did 2 'Kids' shows. The other one was the year before this one -- a parody of the 1975-76 'Lady America' show. Tinker Bell was featured in that production as well -- that's why she says "...remember me?" in the recording featured here. We eventually videotaped the 1980 show at Cal State Long Beach. Some of the 'backyard humor' was lost in the translation, but it's still a hoot. One of these days I'll try to convert it to movie file and post the link here.

I cleaned up the audio a bit and now the quality is in the fair-good range. Enjoy! --Jim :)

http://www.zoocrew.us/media/01_Kids_of_the..._Jack_Intro.mp3

http://www.zoocrew.us/media/02_Kids_of_the...0_Main_Show.mp3

http://www.zoocrew.us/media/03_Kids_of_the...1980_Finale.mp3
(the gap in this recording is intentional -- it was used for comedic effect.)

http://www.zoocrew.us/media/04_Kids_of_the...Tinker_Bell.mp3
(the music in this recording came from a reel-to-reel tape that I found in the Entertainment Division music library. A notation on the box indicated that it was the 'Fantasy In The Sky' show music from the 1960's.)

almandot

hahaha thanks for sharing squalls ahead. they NEED to play that tinkerbell track everytime remember gets cancelled for high winds. ;D

BLM07

Those pauses and skipping got a little annoying :p, and the Tinkerbell part was great. Its pretty cool to have Jack Wagner and Don Dorsey put together something that happened in your backyard. Were some of the performers for the regular show performing to this soundtrack?

Fantasy in the Sky 1960s version sounds like a really rare thing.

Do you want me to post this to the newsgroup as well?

wdi33

Awesome Tracks Squalls! Thank you!

Do you have an unedited copy of "Disneyland is Your Land'?

Thanks again for sharing this gem!

blm07: RE: "Those pauses and skipping got a little annoying..."
Yep, sorry about that. I think it happens when I record something onto my computer that's longer than 10 minutes or so. Perhaps it's a memory problem. I'll try breaking up the recording into shorter chunks and then edit them together.

RE: "Were some of the performers for the regular show performing to this soundtrack?"
No. They we characters from the Character Department. Or if you're asking if the performers in the real show were also singing on the soundtrack, no. The singers were the regular studio esemble used for shows and parades.

RE: "Do you want me to post this to the newsgroup as well?
Sure! Thanks!

wdi33: RE: Do you have an unedited copy of "Disneyland is Your Land'?
I might. If not, I think I know someone who has it. I'll keep you updated and post it here.

Photos from the 1979 and 1980 shows:

KOB_1979_01.jpg

Kids of the Backyard, 1979 -- 'Lady America'

KOB_1979_02.jpg

Both the 1979 and 1980 show finales ended with the Kids jumping into the pool. Here, a real 'Kid of The
Kingdom' (back to camera) congratulates the drenched performers after the show.

KOB_1980_01.jpg

1980 show (encore performance video taped at Cal State Long Beach). Mickey gets in the way of the
exuberant choreography during the Main Street USA number.

KOB_1980_02.jpg

Exotic Adventureland turns erotic as jungle natives gone wild tie-up and manhandle the ladies.

KOB_1980_03.jpg

Space-Age aliens do a Golden Horseshoe can-can during the Tomorrowland number.

KOB_1980_04.jpg

Finale: All's well that ends well.

BLM07

blm07: RE: "Those pauses and skipping got a little annoying..."
Yep, sorry about that. I think it happens when I record something onto my computer that's longer than 10 minutes or so. Perhaps it's a memory problem. I'll try breaking up the recording into shorter chunks and then edit them together.

I was talking about how the Country Bear and IASW part repeated over and over ;D

I thought the pauses were intentionally put there by Don Dorsey ;)

Oh, duh, OK, now I get it. Yes, they are intentional (although there's some less obvious skips due to recording problems). The repeating at the beginning of the Bear County segment was used to accommodate an extra long costume change -- it was a very funny gag! ;D