Japanese DVD's

X-S Tech

As I understand it DVD's from Japan will not play in a standard DVD player correct? I have a Chinese Video CD (VCD) and can play this. Will a japanese DVD work with the same system. If not what kind of system do I need. Thanks.

I can only speak from my experience of one--I recently purchased a Japanese 2-DVD set of Spirited Away, through ebay, from an American seller, which was billed as an "all-region" DVD. It plays fine in my standard DVD player, definitely did not appear to be a "boot." So, either I was taken, or there are some Japanese DVD's which are "all-regions." Mike.

sam253

Japanese DVDs are NTSC like the US ones, but they are region 2. US is region 1 so you'll need a region-free player to watch them.
Mike, I'm afraid your Spirited Away DVD is not a legal copy :(

Gurgitoy2

Yeah, I can speak from experience, and say that Japanese DVD's DON'T play on US DVD players, unless you have a region-free player. That Spirited Away DVD was most likely a bootleg just made very professionally. That's been happening A LOT with the Studio Ghibli stuff lately! It's very difficult to tell the difference between the real stuff and the fake.

Boy, Ben, I'll tell you, it's a beauty of a boot! I suspected a snake in the grass, and tried to do some quick homework--but I was trying to give Santa a last minute hand for a Christmas present to really surprise my son(you know, the kind of present that only Santa can pull off!)--he absolutely loves this movie, and Miyazaki's work in general! Oh well, we still had a great Christmas day--watching Spirited Away was the first thing we did once the presents were all opened. I guess if one day I decide to tell him about the bootleg, I can at least blame it on the elves.........Mike.

TDLFAN

I am only guessing here but I can play VCD on my US region #1, but Tokyo DVD #2 i can't! So maybe there is a chance that region #2 won't play on VCD format, but i am only guessing. ???

Hi Guys, have you ever tried to play the Japanese DVD's on your computer... I remember that one of my friends had no problem playing his Japanese DVD's on his computer. Hope this is a solutuon? ??? - Matt

Gurgitoy2

No, PC's don't have ways around that. There are programs availible that "kill" the regions so that you can play any DVD. That's what I do, and I am able to play any region DVD on my computer. It's not as nice as watching it on my TV, but I haven't spent the money on a Japanese DVD player yet.

sam253

I am only guessing here but I can play VCD on my US region #1, but Tokyo DVD #2 i can't! So maybe there is a chance that region #2 won't play on VCD format, but i am only guessing. ???
Video CDs don't have region coding so they can be played in any VCD compatible DVD player.

Scarecrow

You'll need to buy a multiregion DVD player. Not hard to find one these days for an affordable price.

Some as low as $50.00. Yes $50.00

Who? What? When? and Where??

Follow this link for MULTIREGION and MACROVISION "hackable" players.
*Some are no longer sold and some can be found...even at Best Buys*

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/

*I do not represent the site nor does the site peddle any goods.... It just provides info.*