I'm Walkin' Right Down the Middle of Main Street USA

Prof. Emelius

Does anyone know what year this song was written, what it was written for originally, and who wrote it? I know the first time I heard it was in 1985, on the Disneyland 30th anniversary television special, sung by Marie Osmond. But, I am pretty sure it must have been written prior to that. Can anyone fill me in on the history behind this song? Thanks

The song "Walking Down the Middle of Main Street USA" was composed by Stu Nunnery and has a copyright of 1979 (Walt Disney Music Company ASCAP). As for what it was specifically written for, I don't really know. Perhaps someone here might have that info.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help, but at least now we have a relative time-frame.

Randy

Captain Hank

What year did the show "Disneyland is Your Land" premiere? I've seen a few different versions of that show (Disney World is Your World, D-Pop Magic) and they all feature "Walking Down the Middle of Main Street USA, which suggests that the song may have been written for the first incarnation of the show.

Prof. Emelius

It makes sense that it was written fro a live show in the park. I think you could be right. Anyway, I love the song. I have it on the Sing A Long Songs VHS called Disneyland Fun. There is another song on there as well called the "Disneyland Parade Song" Does anyone know the origins of that one as well?

BJWanlund

I love both of those, but I don't know what they're from, or whether they're from the VHS itself, but I'd love to know.

BJ

almandot

The parade song seems like one of those "let's do another version on this video so we don't have to pay to use the original" things.. or perhaps on the video they felt it wouldn't make sense.

The Mickey Mouse 50th birthday parade, which I guess would date itself to 1978 used the same melody with the lyrics:

Well jiminy cricket, there's Winnie the pooh! Donald and Mickey, and all of their friends too. They'll be marching right down Main Street USA, they'll chase your worries and your cares away. Join Pluto and Goofy, for just a little while. They will delight you, they're bound to make you smile. You'll hear laughs and shouts of joyous humble spade at the Mickey Mouse birthday parade.

almandot

Bill said:
especially since they sound NOTHING like each other

i'm not talking about "Walking Down the Middle of Main Street U.S.A." I'm talking about the "Disneyland Parade Song" that was also featured on the sing-a-long video that the OP also asked about later on

Gurgitoy2

I would be wiling to bet that "Walking Down the Middle of Main Street USA" was written for Disneyland's 25th anniversary in 1980. That was the first time the "Disneyland is Your Land" show appeared and it's been used in various parks ever since.

Prof. Emelius

Almandot,
Thanks for the terrific insight. I knew it was too good of a song to be written just for the video, it sounded too authentic to an earlier period in Disneydom. As far as ...Main Street USA being writen for the 25th, I suspected as much, but I wanted it validated. I think it probably came from the live show, just because it makes sense that it did. Thanks for clearing up the mystery everyone.

I have a small 33 RPM postcard record with a song called "The Walt Disney Character Parade" by Gerry Dallesandro. It has the lyrics listed in almandot's post. The little record also includes the Mike Curb "Mickey Mouse March."

Back in 1974, there was a TV commercial for Walt Disney World that used the music track from the song. I remember the announcer (probably jack Wagner) saying, "Special moments happen in very special places. And every moment is special at Walt Disney World. Especially at new attractions, like Pirates of the Caribbean, and Monsanto's Magic Carpet 'Round the World.... etc."

I remember the commercial because I was one of those kids who held a little cassette recorder up to the TV set to record my favorite shows and sometimes commercials like this one. After all, who knew if we would ever be able to see H.R. Pufnstuf or Archie's Funhouse again?

Gurgitoy2

"I remember the commercial because I was one of those kids who held a little cassette recorder up to the TV set to record my favorite shows and sometimes commercials like this one. After all, who knew if we would ever be able to see H.R. Pufnstuf or Archie's Funhouse again?"

It's funny you mention that, I thought I was the only one who did that! Hey, what's a kid to do in the days before VCR's? I had a few of my favorite shows on tape like that.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I remember the commercial because I was one of those kids who held a little cassette recorder up to the TV set to record my favorite shows and sometimes commercials like this one.

I used to do the exact same thing! I eventually got sophisticated and opened up the back of the TV and added my own little audio out jack so that I could make my recordings without noises from my parents and younger brother and sister.

When the first BetaMax machine came out, I was 14, and all I could do was look at it and drool!

I remember the commercial because I was one of those kids who held a little cassette recorder up to the TV set to record my favorite shows and sometimes commercials like this one. After all, who knew if we would ever be able to see H.R. Pufnstuf or Archie's Funhouse again?

Holy cow. I was one too. I have at least thirty tapes full of theme songs from TV shows, entire specials, movies and anything else I dearly loved. I recorded every holiday special there was and used to listen to them over and over. I can't tell you how happy I was when VCR's became affordable and I got one for my very own. I still have my tapes and even digitized a few. They are very precious to me now.

Gurgitoy2

Me three. Nothing was worse than when you were recording and a family member made a noise. I'd glare at them and they'd giggle. Philistines.

Oh my god, that was my sister! She annoyed the crap out of me...she did it on purpose too. I remember having one tape with an all-out argument over the top of the show...too bad I don't have it now, because I'll bet it would be pretty funny to listen to...

Gurgitoy2

And these recordings that were made are not circulating in the general fan community because....

Because...I don't have mine anymore...and none of them were Disney. Shamefull, I know, but whatever...

I began a similar thread about 5 (yikes!) years ago... maybe more questions will be answered.. or created! :D

[topic=959]Click here![/Topic]

almandot

well in the time since you made your thread it got used again in Dreams on Parade: Moving On ;)

only thing incorrect in that thread is when someone said it was used in the 25th parade and then wdw's tencennial.. unless i'm forgetting something it only got used in the "Disney___ is your ____" shows for those events because the main street sections of the parades used the trolley song, good old summertime, and the like with the main "Disney___ is your ____" theme.

Gurgitoy2

well in the time since you made your thread it got used again in Dreams on Parade: Moving On ;)

only thing incorrect in that thread is when someone said it was used in the 25th parade and then wdw's tencennial.. unless i'm forgetting something it only got used in the "Disney___ is your ____" shows for those events because the main street sections of the parades used the trolley song, good old summertime, and the like with the main "Disney___ is your ____" theme.

Yeah, the song was never used in either DL's 25th or WDW's 10th parades. It was only in the stage shows. Also, even though it's not a repeated event...well, not scheduled anyway, the song was played at Tokyo Disneyland by the "Sax Five" in World Bazaar. It's part of a medley on the CD "Street of Fantasy" that was a bonus in 2003's "Treasures of Fantasy, Dreams, & Adventures".