IllumiNations Pre-show [1999]

Playlist IllumiNations Pre-show [1999]

derekdaze

Steve: LOL! More than likely.

Did you ever see Janet? She's often a good one to barter with - she'll do her best for you.

PS Now have Appalachian Morning & The Concertina Set - fantastic!

Andre

Well done on this ROE preshow list guys (sorry I'm a bit late responding!). I've just downloaded a full mix of the tracks (31'39") which is the one sds910 created - great job!

Cheers,

Andre

Jason Hyatt

Thank you! It seems like the collective of Disney theme park music fans has been searching for the complete list forever.

Jason

Jason Hyatt

Steve,

Since I'm so enamored of your work (more ego-boosting anytime...just let me know), could you tell us a little more about your methods? What software do you use? Any other projects that you have completed that you're particularly proud of? Anything new and exciting on the horizon?

I had drifted away from the forum and the newsgroup awhile back. It's nice to return and find new audio to discover.

Take care,

Jason

sds910

Jason:

1) I use Sound Forge 6 for nearly all of my audio restoration work and for creating mixes that require very little sophistication in terms of crossfades and layering. It simply is the best audio editing software available. Sound Forge's only deficiency is in terms of multichannel mixing support, and while the parent company makes a product that does do multichannel (Vegas), the user interface is one I find clumsy and awkward to work with. For any and all multichannel work, I turn to Cool Edit Pro 2.1, by far the best mixing desk software on the market. The nicest feature is that Sound Forge's DirectX audio enhancement plug-ins can be accessed from within Cool Edit Pro, so having to flash back and forth between the two applications is not often necessary. In the case of the IllumiNations Preshow, the entire job was quite easily done in Sound Forge. When you get to something more complex, such as my flow-throughs for WDW's Splash Mountain or World of Motion, the elements were cleaned up and trimmed in Sound Forge and the multichannel remix was done in Cool Edit Pro. Once a final mixdown is produced. the huge resulting WAV is more than likely brought back into Sound Forge for any remaining touchups. Finally, the MP3 is made... up until recently, I was using Radium's hacked version of the Fraunhofer Professional MP3 codec for that, but the recent revisions of LAME (3.9x) have finally surpassed the audio fidelity of Radium to these ears (once the codec has been configured to only use true STEREO mode and not Joint Stereo).

2) The aforementioned Splash Mountain "Soak-Through" is, I think, one of my proudest moments (although there are still parts of it that make me want to go in and re-do the thing)... the "Impressions de France" complete with sound effects and narration is another recent favorite, but that one does need some adjustment. "Spaceship Earth", "Pirates Of The Caribbean (WDW version)", the recreations of the Magic Kingdom Main Entrance BGM, the IllumiNations Preshow, Wonders of Life... all favorites. I'm also fond of my 30-minute Horizons music-only track, but would be much happier if a clean copy of the narration would turn up to help make it complete. We can all dream... and if we can dream it... er, well, you know the rest ;)

3) As to "new and exciting" projects -- I seem to take them up as they land in my lap, which accounts for the scattershot nature of these things... which is to say, it depends on what sort of audio winds up in my hands. There's a 3/4-finished WDW "Space Mountain" project on my hard-drive, but due to a couple of persistently missing elements, I'm not certain when or if it will be completed. I'm certainly always open to suggestions, and considering the volume of material floating around here, many things are possible. My *ultimate* projects are multi-CD walkthroughs of the various WDW parks but, of course, those are on hold until missing pieces come to light. Fortunately, that list of "gimmes" is getting *extremely* short these days. Test CDs of Liberty Square and Adventureland have been done, for instance, and are pretty entertaining -- but you do have to be in for the long haul when listening ;)

Steve

sds910

Jason:

I'll try and post a couple more things over the next day or so -- I have a massive download going at the moment, so posting's out of the question just now... :)

As to what the IdF file was, if it was the complete show in stereo including narration and sound effects, that was it. If it was just the music, then it's also sourced from me in all likelihood, but it's just stitched together from the five pieces that were planned for sale on WDW Forever but were never released. It might interest folks to know that quite a lot of material was planned for release to the Forever kiosks and was actually loaded on to the hard drives in the units but were never activated -- most likely due to copyright concerns. The circulating separate Living Seas recordings were among these, as well as the music soundtrack to Spaceship Earth and several stereo segments of the (mostly unused 52-minute version of the) Innoventions Plaza BGM loop.

Steve

Dr. Know

Steve

I am in awe! I had no idea that one person was responsible for all of those amazing "reconstructions" -- and that that person was you! Thank you for your efforts -- you have given me many, many hours of listening pleasure.

Three Cheers for Steve :) :) :)

Jason Hyatt

Steve,

This is my final Impressions de France question, I promise!

Is there a version that is just music (ie what you've already put together, minus the narration and sound effects) ?

Also, I grabbed a copy of the MK Main Entrance loop from #Disney-Central. It's wonderful as well! All this music is helping me prepare for my upcoming trip. Once again, you do great work.

One last question- Are you also responsible for the Epcot 2000 Entrance loop reconstruction that is floating around?

Take care,
Jason

sds910

Steve,

This is my final Impressions de France question, I promise!

Is there a version that is just music (ie what you've already put together, minus the narration and sound effects) ?

Also, I grabbed a copy of the MK Main Entrance loop from #Disney-Central. It's wonderful as well! All this music is helping me prepare for my upcoming trip. Once again, you do great work.

One last question- Are you also responsible for the Epcot 2000 Entrance loop reconstruction that is floating around?

Take care,
Jason

To answer:

1) The music-only tracks of Impressions de France do (obviously) exist -- I couldn't have assembled the complete show without them, of course... As to whether or not it's in more common circulation, I don't really know as I don't depend on Usenet or some of the other commonly-available distros for my source material. Having said that, I could see my way to posting the music-only track to Usenet this week... ;)

2) Yes, the Epcot 2000 Entrance loop reconstruction is another one of my wayward children ... :)

Steve

Folks - I find this to be one of the rare moments on a Disney board. We often have Disney people who claim to be ultimate fans, but most of these people often overlook the simple Disney basics.

SDS910 has spent countless hours of his time and effort as a true Disney fan, loving Disney for its, in this case, musical nature, but also in the basic thematic. What is it? Why, to tell you the truth by PURE coincidence - as I just noticed as I am typing, the Feed the Birds segment of Mary Poppins is currently playing on my VCR.

It's the whole "doing that extra thing to be nice to somebody." Being one of Walt's most favorite songs, you know the tale :), Feed the Birds is that song which engulfs the Disney "Magic Happens" meaning.

Here, the Disney community is blessed to have an excellent example. Thanks a lot, Steve! We really appreciate all of your effort. :D

Andre

I couldn't agree more! I'm mostly a lurker here, and being based in the UK I don't have the contacts to get hold of any of these master-quality sources that must have been used for SDS910's beautiful mixes. However it is wonderful that someone is not only spending their time finding this material and then mixing the tracks, but is also willing to share them so freely. I know of a lot of people who would have looked for exchanges rather than posting these tracks so openly.

I've been listening to a lot of WDW stuff recently, and I think just about every one I keep going back to is one of Steve's. Nice one Steve - if we ever happen to meet, I think I must owe you a pint or two by now! You are a perfect example of Disney Spirit as far as I'm concerned.

Having said all that, I must admit I'm really looking forward to the clean Impressions de France music track recording. More work for you!

Oh, and any chance of anything source-quality from O Canada... or Timekeeper theme music... or an American Adventure sit-through, or... :)

Thanks again for all your hard work Steve, the Disney music collecting community owes you a huge debt.

Andre

sds910

Hm. If this keeps up any longer, we're going to wind up with an "sds910" version of "Jeff & Bean Counter's Own Topic" ;)

To bulk-answer the recent posts:

Grizzly, of course, has met me over on AIM and knows me well enough to damn me with faint praise ;) It's all good though, and I'd blush if I weren't such a smug S.O.B. ;) Seriously, though, thanks. As I've said elsewhere in regard to the collectors' mentality, music is meant to be listened to, not hoarded, filed, stamped, numbered and shelved. As Grizzly and several other readers of this board know quite well, I walk a thin line at times between helping out the theme park audio community-at-large and keeping certain things under my hat so that I can continue to earn the trust of those who've helped me get my hands on the material in the first place. Most of my activities in this hobby have been and continue to be pretty well "under the radar", and in a large way, it will probably stay that way. I tend to leak goodies out slowly and steadily to various folks in various ways when the time has come to allow more public airings -- and to let those people "release" it, so to speak, to a larger audience. Over the past few years, I've been helped out in my own pursuits by a core group of people, some of whom participate quite actively on this board and I really think that whatever praise is being heaped on me needs to be shared with them. They know who they are, and can and SHOULD take a well-deserved bow.

Andre -- I wish there *was* more source material from O Canada as the film soundtrack is definitely one of the more glaring missing pieces in my own collection. Something that I haven't shared with many people is a simple but effective crossfaded medley I constructed a while back that combines the "Canada (You're A Lifetime Journey)" track from the old Official CD with the recording of "Bluenose" by Stan Rogers that's used as "needledrop" music in the film. If there's interest, I could upload that to Usenet -- it's not an accurate representation of the film soundtrack, but it serves me well as a nice placeholder, if you will. As for "American Adventure", the complete soundtrack to the attraction is something that's already circulating out there and should be easy enough to find. There are some nice Timekeeper recordings available as well :)

Steve

Add me too the fan club of Steve - sds910 I understand there is often a fine line between what can be fully traded so that sources wont be jeopardized but Steve has provided some of the very best files circulating out there and I appreciate his work very much.

Too many people out there are just out for themselves and wont share anything with anyone. I never understood the logic of not sharing files that others would love to hear and i have always done my best to share whatever I am able too. I am not talking things like soundtracks and official CDs that can be bought but soundtracks to extinct attractions or other files that have never been made available.

Thanks for the great work Steve!

Andre

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for a good American Adventure - the best one I've got at present is an auditorium recording. I love that show.

You know one really silly little recording I'd like? (this is going to sound really bizare!!!) The "bing bong" style chime from the Star Tours pre-show tannoy annoucements (you know, the tones which emulate the sort of tones used at airports/etc to indicate an announcement is due). I've got an old, poor sample which I use for my PC system beep for incoming mail/etc, and I'd love a clean source recording of that bit without background noise. In fact, I guess the whole pre-show annoucement loop would be kinda fun isolated from the Music & FX tracks. Isn't it odd what people want sometimes?! :)

Andre

Just Ducky

Hello Everyone! Does anyone know what musical selections play right before Illuminations begins? I gotta track that down. It is very upbeat, kinda electric cajun kinda fiddle music. I was at Epcot twice last week and it played right before the start of Illuminations both times. Thanks for your help! Quack!

sds910

Ducky:

This forum is responsible for rediscovering the track listing for that loop; it had been lost by Epcot's Live Entertainment division. Next time, you might wish to use that "search" button!

Enjoy...

|
| [SNIP]
|

[See playlist here: IllumiNations Pre-show [1999] —Admin]

- Steve