Horizons (Ride-Through)

sds910

Nelson: Yes, I have the full loop in that quality. You're the second person to comment on the fact that it's not circulating in the proper condition. I'll try to remedy that problem shortly. The "lost GE symbol" music has, indeed, been located. It was one of the last pieces from the Walt Disney World Forever system to turn up... like so many other bits of useful music, it was never offered for sale for some reason (probably rights clearances), but was, indeed, present on the kiosks' hard drives. Why it was never included with the rest of the music may have something to do with the fact that it was a later addition to the attraction.

Ciar_j: Just to clarify the Henry Corden issue... the only one of the Neon City screens to use original audio was, I believe, the "Magic Highway, USA" clip. Screens 1 & 2 used music created for Horizons, and the Henry Corden voice is not a separate "set-piece audio" element... it's actually present in the "Neon City Screen 1" track's final mix. No audio from "Modern Times" actually appeared in Horizons - looking it up at IMdB isn't going to prove anything one way or another.

Epiphany: True. No proof that it's Corey Burton, but it sure as heck sounds like him to me. Compare and contrast to Corey's replacement voice for Deems Taylor's narration on the DVD version of Fantasia. As for Mr. Corden, well... it might not be him either, but it's certainly either him or Alan Reed, and Alan Reed died a loooooong time ago... ;)

Dr. Know

I'm listening now... and I'm too ecstatic to wait untl the end to express my gratitude to SDS for all his efforts... this is an astounding contribution!

Sadly, I never got to experience Horizons at firsthand... this is the next best thing for me.

Thanks, SDS

Dr. Know

Nelson: Yes, I have the full loop in that quality. You're the second person to comment on the fact that it's not circulating in the proper condition. I'll try to remedy that problem shortly.

Oh, man... now I'm foaming at the mouth. That loop is one of my holiest of grails. The two versions I have just don't cut it.

And the ride-through is brilliant.. just finished listening to it.. and started for a second go-round.

Jim

sds910

The one thing I was tempted to do that I didn't do was to artificially extend one of the bits and just stop it cold for a few seconds and insert the breakdown spiel... but it was just too cruel an idea... ;)

Glad you guys are enjoying it :)

CPNHOOK15

Would I be correct in assuming this is available, or will be, on Mirc?

Thanks for all your work in putting this together by the way. If it's half as good as it seems, from what Ive been reading here, its gotta be fantastic!

sds910

As I don't frequent the IRC scene, I can't speak for its availability there, but I'm sure that some helpful soul will have snagged it from Usenet and will seed it around via IRC as well as a DC++ hub or two, a torrent site or three and anywhere else one would expect to find such things. It's the internet, after all... ;)

CPNHOOK15

One more quick question:

What is the name of your track?

There are a couple horizons things floating around and I'd like to make sure I get yours. How can I tell?

Thanks in advance.

sds910

It's called "Horizons (Ride-Through).mp3"... it's a 320k mp3 and weighs in at nearly 54MB. Running length: 23:33.

Accept no substitutes! ;)

nelsonj3

Nelson: Yes, I have the full loop in that quality. You're the second person to comment on the fact that it's not circulating in the proper condition. I'll try to remedy that problem shortly.

I am definitely looking forward to getting a copy of that loop in full quality. ;D There is some great music on that loop! I think I'm correct in saying that all of the music on that loop is original and not taken from anything else.

sds910

sds910, I tip my hat to you sir.

I hope to heck you use the hand without the hook on it, or you're gonna put a mighty big hole in it! ;)

I must say, though... that didn't take you long at all... I guess it *is* available on IRC already... now THERE's a 21st Century that wasn't quite envisioned in Horizons... LOL

My pleasure, all... I might feel differently about publicly sharing such material if there was the slightest acknowledgement on the part of The-Powers-That-Be that there's a market for this sort of thing, but clearly they haven't a clue or an interest or both. Pity, really... considering their Japanese licensees understand it all too well...

Dr. Know

It seems that Randy Thornton has ceased posting here. I would be curious to know whether the Powers That Be considered the Disneyland 50th anniversary set a success, and whether an Epcot 25th anniversary multi-disc set is even being contemplated at this point. With the anniversary less than a year away, if it isn't in the pipeline at this point I guess we can forget it. One can't imagine such a set without an official Horizons ride-through.

sds910

Doc:

Oh, I'm pretty sure we can forget THAT ever happening. Epcot's traditionally the poorest performer of WDW's ticket gates and that's the main equation that would drive any such discussion.

The nice thing is that there really is very little in the way of desirable audio from Epcot that hasn't made its way to the fans in some form or other at this point (of course, there will always be those who will chime in and say "how about a high-fidelity recording of 'Symbiosis - A Partnership' or somesuch... but in reality, Epcot's been pretty well covered)... and considering how many 10 or 12 CD fan compilations are out there for Disneyland, it's really only a matter of time before someone (ahem) puts together some really nice sets for the Florida parks. To anticipate THAT question... yes, I have some nascent plans in that regard and some nice new audio montages that are in the works for such a fan-created set... but I'm certainly nowhere near completion.

As for the DL50 set... well, it certainly SEEMS to have sold like hotcakes... but how many of us really consider it as definitive a work as some of the fan-created projects? Which is not a swipe against Randy, et al... not at all... but the problem with the official set (by definition!) is that it's hamstrung by corporate restrictions, financial realities and licensing difficulties. If you were to get your wish for an official Epcot 25th Anniversary CD set, dollars to donuts you'd be disappointed by the contents if you're wishing for something like my Horizons track... you'd certainly never get 23 minutes' worth of Horizons or 27 minutes' worth of Honey I Shrunk The Audience or equally comprehensive coverage of the entire range of Future World attractions... let alone World Showcase and including an entire CD dedicated to Reflections of Earth (yes, full disclosure here: that one's one of mine, too...).

The reality is that on an official box set, you might get some audio snippets from Horizons and a nice ride-through (at about 8-minutes or so) of "Mission: Space". Randy and his fellow teammates at WDR can only produce something that Corporate will approve. It's up to folks like Rick C. or "Grinning Ghost" to produce the neat internet goodies that they do so well... and that only they can do.

BLM07

Hehe, I say just let Disney make a new on demand system with CDs of each attraction and all the audio tracks seperated (and at the right speed) so the fans can put together a flow through the way they like it ;)

They can put their own version at the beginning for the people who just want to hear that.

imadisneyfan77

Hi! I apologize in adavance for my cluelessness, but I am very interested in hearing this excellent track and have no idea where/how to download it. Can anyone humor me and give me a push in the right direction? THANKS!

mmmfan

sds910, thanks so much for putting this together.I hate to say it,but I think you're right about the Epcot 25th anniversary CD set.

sds910

mmmfan: I hate to *be* right about it... but I am attempting to step up to the plate and produce something for the 'net crowd. The next step is a re-do of my "World of Motion" piece from several years ago. I've also spruced up my "Honey I Shrunk The Audience" remix and put together a "Living Seas" audio montage... and the work goes on... :)

Horizons

Playlist Author
This compilation of Horizons is by far the best that has been available. The quality is amazing. Thanks for putting the time and effort into creating this masterpiece. Is there any chance at all that the various individual tracks you used, including the exit music and missing GE music, can be circulated? Thanks.

crxbrett

I have not seen this new ride-through on MIRC as of yet....can anybody confirm whether or not it's on there yet? I really want to hear this new version!! Also, does anybody ever use yousendit.com?

Horizons

Playlist Author
It's been posted to the DC Torrents site (http://www.dc-torrents.com), so it will only be a matter of time before it ends up on mIRC. Send me a message with your email address and I can sent it to you.