Horizons (Ride-Through)

sds910

As announced in an earlier thread, I'll be posting a brand-new Horizons ride-through to Usenet late Friday evening.

The new ride-through includes narration, ambient sound effects, better fidelity and even music once considered "missing". It represents a fairly accurate audio recreation of the ride experience with only one or two flourishes of "artistic license".

Downloaders: please assist your fellow collectors who don't have Usenet (newsgroups) access!

- sds910
"If we can dream it, we really CAN do it!"

nelsonj3

Sounds excellent, sds910!! Can't wait to download it. I can post it to Disney Central Torrents to help with distribution.

mmmfan

This is great.I loved Horizons.If it's not too much trouble,I'd appreciate it if you could post this in the "old" group.(A.B.M.D.).Thanks very much.

BLM07

So is there any answers that you could help improve my Horizons audio page ;D

sds910

Possibly.

To answer one question, I think you'll find that Corey Burton is identifiable as the voice of the Brava Centauri travel poster in the queue... and the voice in the Neon City screen music is almost certainly Fred Flintstone number 2, the late Henry Corden.

Also, where you discuss the "Imagineer speaking", I think you'd much more accurately describe that as the tape engineer describing each track on talkback during the tape copying session.

- sds910

BLM07

I knew the guy from Modern Times sounded like Fred Flintstone, but he isn't listed in the credits for the movie http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0027977/fullcredits

Also, do you have any idea if George Wilkins & John Debney composed the music for Neon City Screens 1 & 2, or is that the music from the movies? They don't sound like they would be from the same time the movies were made.

And I'll change the unknown imagineer to tape engineer.

X-S Tech

I believe Henry Corden (Fred Flintstone #2) was added to the footage specifically for Horizons- he wasn't in the original Modern Times.

sds910

I also don't believe that the music from Screens 1 & 2 are anything other than original compositions for the attraction.

It should be noted that most -- mind you, I said most -- of the extant Horizons music that circulates amongst the collectors has its origins in a reel of tape that was assembled for the purpose of providing finished copies back to George Wilkins for his own archives. My research leads me to believe that two different branches of descent exist of this tape: one with the speed variation in the GBBT vocal track, another without. The unedited version of the tape also included what are presumably finished masters of "New Horizons" and "Space" (in addition to the copies "slated" by the tape op) which were used on the 1991 Official Album CD and also the lengthy exit music piece (which seems to be described by many as "Area BGM"). My assumption is that one branch of descent came from Wilkins loaning the tape to another individual while the other may have been duplicated within the Company.

I'm really quite fond of the Henry Corden appearance... it's kind of nice to know that Fred Flintstone was in "Horizons" while Barney Rubble (Mel Blanc) appeared in "The Carousel of Progress"...

Trivia buffs eat your hearts out... ;)

For those potential downloaders of my new Ride-Through, be aware that it's now available!
- sds910

Dr. Know

For those potential downloaders of my new Ride-Through, be aware that it's now available!
- sds910

Great!! But where?!? I can't find it on alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks...

Help!!

BLM07

Thanks, I've added most of the info to the site, I think its pretty much reached its limit of what the public knows about the ride :p

Good old cousin Orville, I remember reading about that somewhere a while ago.

edit: I was listening to a Carousel Of Progress (1994) recording, and noticed they play the Art Deco TV version of GBBT during the first act, gotta remember that next time I go to the parks. ;D

sds910

Dr. Know:

It should propagate soon enough. I did observe the post complete on both my regular server and on Giganews, so it's definitely out there. Crossposted to both multimedia groups as well as the mp3 group.

:)

nelsonj3

Wow!! Just downloaded this. Excellent Job!! The quality is outstanding. The source tracks that I have to this attraction are nowhere near this quality. This is amazing!!

;D

Dr. Know

Damn.... I just can't get this to work. I've downloaded it THREE times from Giganews and can't get it to assemble.

Humbug.

Dr. Know

I'm using ezGroups (I'm on a Mac). All of the parts appear to download and assemble, but then *poof* nothing. I tried downloading it from both newsgroups with the same result. I've also tried downloading several other files from the same newsgroups this morning, and those assemble without any problem, so I'm stumped. :(

nelsonj3

This is the first Horizons Ride-Through that I've actually been able to burn to a CD with decent quality in the car. All of the others sound distorted.

I also appreciated the "lost" music from the end of the ride where the GE Symbol used to be. It kind of sounds like large wind chimes. At the end of the file, the "Area Music" was the best quality I've ever heard. Do you happen to have the entire 14 minute Loop at that quality? The only copy I have is a fuzzy 128kbps copy.

Ciar_j

BLM07: I knew the guy from Modern Times sounded like Fred Flintstone, but he isn't listed in the credits for the movie http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0027977/fullcredits

For the Neon City Screen of Modern Times WDI dubbed over the original guy with the Fred Flintsone sounding guy. If you ever seen Modern Times you will here exact same dialogue but the guy on the screen's voice is different.