HELP: Animal Kingdom Lodge music

I've been meaning to post this for a while.....it's also an interesting story......

We've stayed at the AKL the last two times we've been to WDW(it's become my "new Adventureland," ever since the exotic ambience of Adventureland was forever altered by the arrival of Aladdin's Magic Carpets, choking the middle of Adventureland--brilliant plan). We immediately noticed the wonderful African music playing in the lobby when we were there for the first time last March. We quickly asked about it at the desk, and were provided with a list of the artists and songs being played--GREAT--grab the CD's, make our own compilation, and it's the AKL-in-Maine, easy enough, right?......WRONG!

We bought the CD's, made a 2-CD compilation, and got ready for our next trip down to WDW and the AKL in August. I actually couldn't find all the CD's on the list, and from the compilation I made, there seemed to be a few songs missing that I remembered fairly well and really wanted to have on CD--maybe they were on the CD's I couldn't find......

Well, to end the story, the music being played in the lobby included NONE of the music on the provided list(I don't think they had changed the selections, as I remembered the music to be what I had heard in March), and no one in the AKL, on up to the concierge, and other knowledgeable cast members knew anything about how to track down the identity of the music--unbelievable!

Anyway......anyone have any inside info or suggestions?

I made my own recording of about 30 minutes of music, braving nasty little flies that chewed me up while holding my camcorder up to a speaker. I even spoke with the resident artist, "The Bushman", in the Zawadi Marketplace about the music--if I could send him my recording, he'd give it to a DJ friend of his who might be of some help identifying the music.....it was something, anyway......

Other than that, any thoughts?

Mike

sds910

Michael...

Someone braver than yourself already did the induction recording trick at the AKL. A high-quality mono recording of the entire 60 minute loop is beginning to circulate. Keep your eyes open.

Steve

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Michael,

The list of albums/songs which they are handing out at the AKL is what they played in the front entrance, lobby, and pool areas from opening day until some time around the holiday season of 2002.

I made an induction recording to MiniDisc in 2001 in order to determine the correct order of the songs.

The original loop contains 29 tracks which last about 2-1/2 hours. They're still playing that exact same loop around the pool area (as of a week ago when I was last there). Unfortunately, I forgot to check the savanna area directly behind the hotel to see which loop is playing there. I'll try to get back there in the next week or so and give it a listen.

The front entrance and lobby areas have been playing a shorter (about 64 minutes) loop since late in 2002. That loop consists of 21 tracks which are completely different. Interestingly, all of the hotel staff whom I have talked to have insisted that the tracks have not changed since opening day. It's amazing how people are able to block out background noise on the job--as these tracks are entirely different--and the fact that they now repeat every hour instead of every 2-1/2 hours certainly makes them a lot more noticable.

I made an induction recording of the new tracks to MiniDisc several months ago and I am still working to indentify them. I hope to have the answers shortly. Three of the tracks are nothing but drumming, though, and I expect those to be hardest to identify.

If it makes you feel any better, the original loop is much better than the new one. And, like I said, it's still playing around the pool area.

Thanks Jay--there is also different music from the lobby loop playing in the Mara eatery, which is next to the pool--I wonder if what is playing in the Mara is that original loop you refer to, which you say is playing in the pool area(I never really took notice of the pool area music).

There are a few tracks that I'm particularly interested in. One is a very catchy tune(South African?) with, I think, some accordian in the background, finishing off with a flute solo. There are also two interesting songs by a male soloist, accompanied only by an electric guitar.

We're going for a week in April--how long were you there for last week?

Steve--where should my eyes be focusing? And sorry, but--help me out on "induction recording"? I've been using my camcorder with good results, but I do have a MiniDisc player/recorder--should I give it a try? Type of microphone?

Thanks all,
Michael

sds910

Michael:

"Induction recording" is what we say around here when we discuss a method of recording without stating the method outright; it would really be best if too many eyes didn't figure out how it's done; I suspect a scan of the forum's archives will shed some further light on the subject. Suffice it to say that the total cost of your special equipment should be roughly $3 at Radio Shack. If you're still baffled, send me a private message.

Steve

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Suffice it to say that the total cost of your special equipment should be roughly $3 at Radio Shack.

$5.79 plus tax is the current price for a telephone pick-up at Radio Shack. I recall the older model being about a buck cheaper. It was replaced with a newer model sometime in the last year. The newer model is shaped differently and has a smaller suction cup.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get those suction cups to stick onto the outdoor speakers that Disney uses. It's not because they're plastic, it's the "Little Tikes" pebble finish on the speakers that keeps the suction cups from holding.

I can't tell you what a joy it is to sit there looking like a total idiot holding a pick-up to the speaker for up to 2-1/2 hours. My hand has been known to go completely numb! And, in today's post 9/11 world, I keep waiting for someone to be convinced I'm plotting to blow up the place and report me to Security!

If anyone has a better method--one which doesn't require holding the pick-up in place--I'd love to hear about it!

Jessica L

I would love the see people's reactions to someone sitting in the same spot for over 2 hours - especially the CM's! :) But the hard work is greatly appreciated - thank you guys for everything you do to get this great music out to us craving fans.

Jessica

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
there is also different music from the lobby loop playing in the Mara eatery

My guess is that it's the same loop playing around the pool area. I'll check it out next week.

There are a few tracks that I'm particularly interested in. One is a very catchy tune(South African?) with, I think, some accordian in the background, finishing off with a flute solo. There are also two interesting songs by a male soloist, accompanied only by an electric guitar.

Funny you should mention those tracks--they're really the only ones I like in the new loop!

We're going for a week in April--how long were you there for last week?

Only two nights. I live only two hours away from Disney, so I usually just drive up for the day. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is my favorite Disney resort (I've stayed in every single one at least twice), and the Florida Resident rates are quite the bargain, so I've probably stayed at the AKL on a dozen different occasions by now, but I don't think any have been for more than three or four days.

Thanks everyone!

Jay, I scanned the grounds for a "recordable speaker," and the one I came up with was in the bus pick-up area; I kept having to switch my camcorder from arm to arm, having to hold it as high as I could(and also taking time to brush away those damn flies--probably got over 50 bites on my arms and trunk, in particular--started to think about smallpox when the spots showed up the next morning). I got there a little after six in the morning, so I got no background voices, but finally had to stop when the bus activity started to pick up. I wonder how early the music starts, and when it stops? There are some speakers in the bushes, in front of the main entrance, on the ground--a microphone or camcorder could possibly be stationed there, saving on muscle strain and bug swatting......maybe this next trip. Which speaker did you come up with?

I hope you identify those tracks--how are you going about that? Have you ever spoken with "The Bushman" in the Marketplace? He's an interesting guy, very much into music, aside from his art work. He was recruited by some Disney scouts when they spotted his Orlando gallery, which he still maintains. I guess I'll still send him a CD-R.

Interesting that it's your favorite resort. We've mostly stayed at the Floridian, once at the Polynesian--we wanted a change, and the AKL sounded right--AND we got some nice rates! You'll be there again next week? Must be nice, as they say here in Maine.......

Michael

Scott

I wonder how early the music starts, and when it stops?

I would assume it runs 24/7. When I was there in December, I know I heard it both pretty late and pretty early. Admittedly, I never went by the pool, so I must not have heard the other loop, but other than that, wherever I was, whenever I was there, it was playing.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I would assume it runs 24/7.

Nope. The music is turned off late at night. That goes for all areas--the front entrance, the lobby, and the pool.

Back in 2001, when I did my first induction recording, I had a nice spot picked out near the pool, but when I returned there late at night, around 1:00 am, the music was already off. I wound up having to use one of the front entrance speakers which was still on. As the old loop ran 2-1/2 hours, lucky for me, the speaker was still on at nearly 4:00 am when I finished.

Just last week, I had plans to do a second induction recording of the new loop (my first recording has a few dropouts here and there), when I returned from Pleasure Island at a little after midnight, but even the front entrance speakers had already been turned off. The lobby was already silent as well. I didn't check the pool, but I had no reason to, as I knew they were still playing the old loop out there.

I can't say whether there is supposed to be a set time or not...but they definitely turn the music off at night.

Scott

Oh well, so much for assuming. I was certain I'd heard it coming back from a night at PI as well...and I know I heard it getting up at the butt-crack of dawn for the Sunrise Safari one day. Maybe it's just a manual switch that someone turns on/shuts off whenever they get around to it.

Thanks all!

The crack of dawn, painful as it is, is probably the time to record, the best guarantee of avoiding unwanted voices; I started a little after six, around the time I usually go for my workout, and the music was going--but don't know how much earlier I can push that......

Jay--be sure to let me know if you identify any of the music, especially the tracks we both apparently are interested in, through a post or an e-mail--thanks!

Michael

ArnyVee

Wow...you guys are definitely 'taking one for the team' with the bug bites and the muscle strains and the dirty looks. ;D

Does anyone know where the AKL Lodge Loop recording is 'making its rounds'? I'd like to get a copy of that.