Former Small World Soundtrack is back at Disneyland

that's right to complement the retro paint job they have digitally remastered the original soundtrack heard @ Disneyland prior to the '92 change.

chris

Hooray!! That's good news. Have you rode through, Dannyeyheralde? How does it sound? Do tell.

and what did they re paint?

That's the most exciting news I've heard in years!!! Another friend just confirmed this. He was just there and rode it a few times. I can't believe it! They are finally doing something right for a change. Not only does Small World now have the best (and original) soundtrack back sounding better than ever, but the Haunted Mansion is %100 done with it's remastering, installation, and complete restoration. I can't wait to go back to Disneyland and ride Small World and Haunted Mansion. It will be like going back to my childhood again. The 60's was the best decade at Disneyland. Now if they can only restore the Tiki Room back to it's original glory!!!

s8ntmark

WOW! Thats GREAT! I really liked the new arrangement, but one of the things I really liked about the restorations of Tiki Room and Haunted Mansion (and Pirates too I assume) was the fact that the original soundtrack was restored instead of new material being recorded (on this note Tiki Room is the standout on sound quality). I cant wait to ride it now and hear what it sounds like to ride the "original" SW again.

And I have a question...what is the difference between to two arrangements? What did they do differently post '92 that wasnt there in the original score?

~Mark

Gurgitoy2

Well, it's not that it was "different" as much as it was poorer quality. Oh, unless you're referring to the newly recorded version for Paris...I'm not sure which you mean, but...

Here is something Al Lutz posted on Miceage.com that may clarify a little more what actually happened...

"it's a new sound after all

Someone was kind enough to forward the next item to me. Apparently WDI has gone back to original source recordings for the Disneyland it's a small world attraction soundtracks and music on this rehab. And unlike in the recent past, they spent a lot of time and money to get this right!

Apparently it's fairly complicated what has happened: the original 1963 tracks were recorded onto 35 mm film, from which they made mono tracks, and these same mono tracks were installed at Disneyland when the show moved. Back in the '60s the recordings had undergone several generations of dubs, so they sounded dull and lifeless ever since.

When Disneyland Paris was built, Imagineering (WDI) decided to re-record the music, but using a two-minute underliner predominantly so there was a lot of repetition. Shortly after the Paris park opened, Anaheim attraction simply took and adapted the Paris version.

As all that was going on, the old tracks were transferred to digital multitrack tapes, a project that took several years. Recently they finished, at which time they discovered that with the original masters, they could now build a new stereo mix from the originally recorded three channels.

So for the current rehab on it's a small world, they ripped out the entire old sound system and installed new equipment, new speakers (in some areas offering stereo soound), and even new wiring. The show is now as least as good as, if not better than, the 1964 World's Fair version. It's never been of this quality in the ride's Anaheim lifetime.

The kind source went on: I would never dream of telling you what to say, but I hope you share my belief that this is extremely positive and we should be supportive (otherwise WDI might not take the trouble in the future - and, more to the point, they won't be given such opportunities in the future if fans don't notice!)

First the facade gets restored, then the interior, and now the sound. I'm a happy camper. I think the customers should be too. :)"

Gurgitoy2

Also, if you want to hear the differences between the Pairs version and the newly restored version, then you can do several things.

If you have the World's Fair CD tracks that were floating around on the alt.binaries newsgroup, you can listen to the 2 Paris underliner tracks that were re-recorded for that version, as well as the newly restored 1964 World's Fair SW tracks.

Or...
If you have the Une Journee A Disneyland Paris CD, you can listen to the Paris SW track there, and if you have the Tokyo Disneyland It's a Small World CD from last year, you can compare them.

Or...
ask someone to share files with you so you can compare them.

I think that the newly restored versions are the best sounding. The Paris version loses alot in the update and seems to over-the-top in it's orchestration. It kind of drowns out everything else and doesn't make each "land" that unique. It tries to be to dramatic and orchestral, rather than light and happy. The newly restored World's Fair version that they re-introduced sounds so much richer to me because each section is very disticnt, and it's got much more charm and vitality to it. Plus I think the children's vocals are cuter.

I'm really glad Disney did this to It's a Small World and I hope they pay that much attention to all of the classic attractions! So basically SW looks and sounds the best it ever has, which is a good thing in my book! I like the white & gold facade too!

It really is the "happiest cruise that ever sailed"!

chris

This truly is happy news and quite surprising. Like all of you, I hope it starts a good trend.

I've never been a fan of the newly recorded Paris versions that were used in Disneyland the past few years. They lacked so much of the charm and exotic beauty of the originals. Walt Disney World's attraction kept the original 1963 recordings all along, much to my delight.

I'm now wondering if WDW will update their sound system as well? The last time I rode the attraction in WDW I noticed that the sound quality was not as loud, bright, or bold as it could be. It sure would be wonderful to hear all that restored sound in glorious stereo and a new sound system. That is the only thing still lacking to make WDW's "It's a Small World" absolutely perfect, as they have done some lovely restorations in the attraction itself the past few years.

s8ntmark

Except WDW doent really seem to update the classic attractions the way DL does. When I went about 2 years ago it seemed that I had walked into Disneylands past with all the attractions sounding low, the effects outdated, and everything in general disrepair...it was very disappointing.

But with this said, what is everyones opinion about doing a "retro" Space Mountain? Should Disney simply "restore" this attraction or should they update it into a better ride that themes with the, so far, failed "New Tomorrowland"(ie Paris' Space Mountain would be perfect themeing).

And also, can anyone tell me why the heck every other Disney Theme park can a get a credible "New Tomorrowland" and Disneyland has to settle for a lame ass paint job and uninteresting rides? Why bother if it isnt going to be right?

Just Curious :)

~Mark!

I thought that they were going to recreate the track...as is...and add some day-glow Stitch flats to bring it up to date. Hey... a 50th Birthday...they really seem to be going all out :'(

Fantasmic

Anybody know what's being played in the facade now? Did they keep the excellent Paris exterior loop or did they switch that as well? If they did, where can I here that loop? Also, I presume they left the clock music alone, right?

X-S Tech

The exterior loop has been changed as well. Not sure if the clock music is the same but at least the clock is ticking again. I remember that the ticking was so dominant in that area when I was little, you could hear it in places you couldn't hear the music, but in recent years, what with rehabs and holiday updates it doesn't seem like I heard it much. I am definate that there were times the clock face didn't even move much less tick. Was I imagining things?

As for the facade and the music, while I don't know which version I like best, let's all be glad that despite the masses of imagineers now roaming the streets, there are at least a few left who found a way to do this, just because they thought it would be enjoyed by others.

X-S Tech

I finally got a chance to ride the restored Small World. I liked it. I don't know that the music is any better or worse than the previous version but it's nice that they finally cleaned up everything, and you can barely see the anchor points for the Christmas lights on the facade. What excites me the most is the simple concept of the experience. I think going to Disneyland as much as we do we can no longer experience these marvelous attractions as we did the first time, much less as someone would who's never seen anything like Disneyland. People in 1966 had never seen anything like Small World. It was the first totally encompassing audio animatronic attraction (with the more stationary exception of the Tiki Room.). Can you imagine what they must have felt being confronted with these massive sets and colorful locations? The fifties and sixties have always fascinated me and I've often wondered what it would have been like to live back when Walt was alive. thanks to this rehab it's impossible to approach Small World now and not think, "If I concentrate reall hard and not look at anything but this building , I bet I could convince myself it's 1966,". I liked the pastel facade, and i liked the 90's music. But it's neat to think that with all of the changes made over the years, it's possible to restore something like "Small World" so precisely that you'd think you'd gone back in time. Thanks WDI.

It was a great time...."Uncle Walt" came over every Sunday evening for a visit--we had friends with a color television set, so occasionally we'd be over there on a Sunday, and it'd be a real treat to catch the Wonderful World of Color as it was meant to be seen. I think it's those evenings with Walt that are partially responsible for why I feel so strongly about his memory, and why the sound of his voice haunts me......still mad about only going to the World's Fair once, when we lived right next door in Connecticut--my wife only went once, too(she's still pissed as well!), but she can still remember the impact of the Carousel and Small World--there'd never been anything like it. Mike.

LilSimba

Has anyone else noticed the second verse of "it's a small world" is missing? "There is just one moon and one golden sun and a smile means friendship to everyone. Though the mountains divide and the oceans are wide...". It's just gone in the rehab, altho I'd place bets on it coming back with the christmas version.