Figment is Open!

SharonKurland

NEWS FLASH!

I can't give any spoilers because I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but a friend of mine has seen the new Journey Into Imagination, which has soft-opened, and he says it is VERY GOOD! He refused to give me any details, the rat fink .

He DID say that the "new" song, "One Little Spark," is a new version of the original.

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Figment Spoiler Alert!

We went on the new Journey Into Your Imagination ride yesterday (Saturday). Although, IMHO, it's still not nearly as good as the original attraction, it's a heck of a lot better than what was there before!

The line was 15 to 20 minutes long. The Queue has been updated with some extra Flubber, Honey I Shrunk, Absentminded Professor, etc. references (visually and audio's), as well as with a handful of obscure pieces of memorabilia from the original attraction.

Same cars and track as the "old, new" ride. A few similar highlights as what we used to see (i.e. the disappearing butterfly). However the storyline is no longer based on "You don't have an imagination so we have to give you one" and moreso exploration of your imagination.

Figment, in CGI, AA (salvaged from the original ride) and statue form, plays a MUCH larger role in this attraction...he's in nearly every scene. And an updated "One Little Spark" is played throughout.

The attraction still has its flaws...with the better-but-still-limited budget, there are still too many "black" areas and I'd like to see more 3D props than flats. And towards the end, they still have that "loud noice and big puff of air in your face" that used to startle me . The demise of Billy Barty also left us with (what I suppose is) a replacement Figment voice that isn't "quite" right. But overall it's still SO much better than what it was last year.

Is it a great attraction? I don't think so. But it's definitely a good one. Was even worth the queue.

-Sharon-

Jessica L

Well, I'm just glad they got rid of that POC that was Journey Into YOUR Imagination. Still wish Dreamfinder could come back, but I guess beggers can't be choosers! Glad to hear that Figgy is back in a BIG way - go Figment!! I'll be there first-hand in 18 days - can't wait! :)

Thanks for the report Sharon - much appreciated!

Jessica

Sharon, we unfrotunately joined "the Disney bandwagon" just after the original attraction closed several years ago, so we never got a chance to experience it. According to the Orlando Sentinel article by Robert Johnson, attendance had waned at the original--but why do I get the feeling that Disney is attempting to simply "re-invent the wheel" with the new version, only on an unfortunately limited budget? Did you think that the original was lacking--it sounds as though you think that it was still better than what we have now! Billy Barty was the original voice of Figment? It's good to have Figment back though, and "One Little Spark," with a new version by the Shermans. Michael.

SharonKurland

Michael-

I have no idea why they decided to close the "original" Journey Into Imagination. It had characters (Figment and Dreamfinder) that were popular and well-liked, it fit the theming of "imagination," it had a GREAT song throughout, it was colorful, it was good for kids and adults, shall I continue?

-Sharon-

Thanks, Greg--nice write-up! My son will enjoy finally being able to see Figment in action--we arrived at Epcot in 1998 just days after the attraction had closed(but of course, the Figment merchandise was still aplenty!). Keeping Eric Idle's character and theming is a good idea, as I always thought he worked quite well in "Honey," and I look forward to the Sherman brothers' song--having a musical theme or song with any of the attractions I think is key. Sharon, maybe they have re-invented the wheel, only with a few spokes missing! Michael.

Jessica L

I can tell you why the original JII closed. The contract that Kodak had with Disney expired, and Kodak wanted something "fresh" for its attraction - so sadly, Dreamfinder and the Billy Barty Figment that we all know and love had to go. Wasn't due to laging attendance or high maintenence (though they may have been other factors that eventually led to my favorite attraction's demise...). The original JII can never, ever be replaced and while the new ride may be better than the second version - it can never be better than the first. Just an acceptable substitute. Long live Dreamfinder and Figment and the original ride that showed us all to dream and think beyond the norm. I'll never forget you... :'(

SharonKurland

Jessica-

Now that you mention the whole story, I remember when Kodak and Disney jointly decided to try something "fresh." Thanks for reminding us!

-Sharon-

grecat

Interesting story about Kodak. Funny thing is they just resigned a multi-year contract with Disney for all the Parks. It was reported in the news on May 28th.

it's a small world after all :D

Greg in CA