FANTASMIC DL VS WDW

CPNHOOK15

QUESTION:
I Just saw the WDW version of Fantasmic and while it was a good show and the music is similar... I was a little dissappointed. I grew up in CA and was AMAZED by the show at DL.
What do you all think? ???

My vote is that the DL version, both show AND music, is superior.

MusicMajor

Definitely the experience of Fantasmic on the Rivers of America is completely different than the amphitheater at Disney/MGM. Especially with Columbia and the Mark Twain.

As far as the music, I guess it depends whether you're more of a "classicist" as far a Disney music goes. Personally, I like the Peter Pan sequence better than Pocahontas.

Timothy

Gurgitoy2

Personally, I like Disneyland's much, much better. There really is nothing quite like seeing Fantasmic "pop" up out of nowhere on the Rivers of America, which by day looks just as innoccuous as ever. During the day people can sit on the stage and play checkers for goodness sake! At MGM it feels much more staged...you know you're going to see a show because the theater was built just for it. I also love the use of the real watercraft as opposed to the specially constructed ones (or one) for WDW's Fantasmic. I also don't care much for the Pocahontas sequence because it's all too far away and the characters look like ants. Also the dragon's demise at WDW seems super cheesy to me.

mistryl

Honestly, I don't know anyone who prefers the MGM version to the DL version. I just saw it at MGM for the first time a few months ago, and I did rather like the sequence with the bubbles - it worked many other animated characters into the show that weren't there otherwise.

It was also really cool how they managed to get the real lightning in the sky when it was happening in the show. I wonder how they do that? ;D

SharonKurland

By FAR, I like the Disneyland version much, MUCH better. It's bigger, it had less corners cut, etc. The water screens are nice, but they're used WAY too much in WDW, IMHO.

Simply put...WDW's version is a nice show. DL's version brings tears to my eyes.

-Sharon-

CPNHOOK15

Im glad to know Im not the only one. The Pocahontas scene IMHO was very weak...Peter Pan on the Columbia cannot be topped! And YES! the water screens were used WAY too much.
The DL version gives me goosebumps while the WDW version made me feel silly for sitting there for 2 hours to get a good seat! I wont make that mistake twice, the back seats will have to suffice (or maybe I'll just ride ToT a couple of extra times instead).

Well, I'll speak up and make some favorable comments about the MGM version, although I am not claiming in any way it is "better" than the Disneyland version.

I am a HUGE fan of the Dancing Bubbles sequence, how they put the snippets of the classic tunes together and the video that accompanies it.

I enjoy the Pocahontas scene -- the Indians in the canoes circling the island in the fog is a great mood-setter. And I enjoy the spectacle of the arrow shots, fire, logs tumbling, etc.

At the same time, I love the Peter Pan scene at California, as well.

And, yes, it's always going to be more of a thrill in California because it all takes place right in the park. But that can work against California, too... the one aspect where Florida beats California hands-down is the final Sorceror Mickey appearance.

Mickey on the Florida mountain with the fireworks behind him is just awe-inspiring, while in California I think he was on a building only a story or two off the ground.

I don't care for the flower petals in Florida or the Pink Elephants in California.

So, I guess I have no clear favorite. I like them both a lot and LOVE certain aspects of each.

SharonKurland

Don't know if it's true or not, but the story I heard was that the Ursula float sorta disintegrated and was going to cost a lot of money to repair...so before they spent the money, they checked to see if "enough" people complained about it not being there. They didn't.

-Sharon-

Dirk

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

I really enjoyed Fantasmic at MGM but I thought that that the Pocahontas-scene just went on too long. While the Indians paddling around the lake in the mist / smoke is nice the following battle takes way too long with a lot of minor action guests can barely follow as it is only dimly lit.

Yours
Dirk